What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official RPI Watch 2014-15

UNLV beats #3 Arizona 71-67 :lol:

UNLV has been nothing short of bad this season thus far losing to Stanford by 29. Arizona St by 22 and Utah by 13 and scraping out wins over cupcakes.

Can't help but enjoy it given how classless Zona fans have shown themselves to be. **** Arizona

07171d15b2fc6bfd09cfecf4ad4f5e66.jpg

Good times here in Vegas...thank you UNLV!

Anyone know if Hawai'i is counted as a road or neutral?

Nik it appears this is a true road game. ESPN has been classifying them as such and they're usually accurate on this matter. This is Hawaii's home court unlike, say, Utah vs UNLV at MGM which was neutral.

Nik it appears this is a true road game. ESPN has been classifying them as such and they're usually accurate on this matter. This is Hawaii's home court unlike, say, Utah vs UNLV at MGM which was neutral.

In that case, it's probably not a hit that we're playing them instead of Nebraska.

But, damn. At this point, for CU to get in the tournament with no Top 100 RPI wins in the non-conference schedule, it's going to take:

1. Beat Hawai'i to get to 8-4.
2. Go no worse than 13-5 in Pac-12 play.
3. Go at least 1-1 in Pac-12 Tourney.

That would get us to 22-10 and in Bubble range. Might get the Buffs into a play-in game. Might. Given the non-conference failure and the mediocrity of the Pac-12 this year, it may take more than that.

In that case, it's probably not a hit that we're playing them instead of Nebraska.

But, damn. At this point, for CU to get in the tournament with no Top 100 RPI wins in the non-conference schedule, it's going to take:

1. Beat Hawai'i to get to 8-4.
2. Go no worse than 13-5 in Pac-12 play.
3. Go at least 1-1 in Pac-12 Tourney.

That would get us to 22-10 and in Bubble range. Might get the Buffs into a play-in game. Might. Given the non-conference failure and the mediocrity of the Pac-12 this year, it may take more than that.

I've come to terms with today being the nail in the coffin, realistically speaking.

I believe Stanford and Cal (?) have had less than impressive OOC performances lacking quality wins and made the Dance in recent years, but circumstances varied.

Not only would we need a great Pac record but it would have to involve wins over a couple of Arizona, Utah and Washington. Hopefully UCLA, Stanford and Cal can give us extra opportunities for quality.

Hawaii is just a horrible team to be facing. Now we risk a "bad" sub-100 loss, the one thing we've avoided. Hawaii is so solid at home but will take bad losses on the mainland, thus likely limiting Hawaii becoming top 100.

Yeah, I've kinda just accepted that conference play should be an opportunity to develop our young players and get them much needed experience. Will take a phenomenal Conference record to get into the tournament, and that isn't a realistic expectation at this point.

But if a couple returning players step up in a big way, it is not a wasted season tourney or not.

This whole season is already a lost opportunity. Arguably our most talented roster and we can't win games.

attendance and season ticket renewals will be interesting. I don't think we will see a price increase this year.

This whole season is already a lost opportunity. Arguably our most talented roster and we can't win games.

attendance and season ticket renewals will be interesting. I don't think we will see a price increase this year.

This roster might have the most potential but I don't think it's the most talented.

This roster might have the most potential but I don't think it's the most talented.

when someone post the word arguably about something, they don't always mean it as an invitation for you to try and argue the point. You can just disagree with stuff and not post.

when someone post the word arguably about something, they don't always mean it as an invitation for you to try and argue the point. You can just disagree with stuff and not post.

By posting that you open the comment up for discussion. I mean, it is a forum after all.

It's a lost opportunity, and a step back for the program no doubt. But it doesn't have to be a wasted season, if there is player development for guys like Dom, Fletcher, Tory, Dustin, etc.

It should be a wake up call for Tad, and in that case, missing the tournament can be a positive.

Well, it's Christmas, so I'm going to take a cheerful look at the remainder of the season.

Firstly, I recognize that we are playing like **** right now and we have to turn it around quickly, but at least the talent is there. Despite the awful non-con, we are still 87 in RPI, which means we need to pass up about 25 teams by the end of the season. The good news is that there are some really bad teams ahead of us who aren't going to pick up any good wins the rest of the way (as in, there are no Top 100 teams on their schedule. Incarnate Word is 8-2 and #53 in RPI, but only four of the wins count because the rest aren't D1. There are many other examples. It really is still too early to hang your hat on RPI.

Better yet, we are 66 in KenPom, which the selection committee also uses. If CU can win out against the dregs of the conference (or close enough), play .500 against the weak middle, and steal a couple of Top 25-50 wins at home over Arizona, Utah, Washington, and Stanford, we are no worse than a bubble team. Iowa and K State got At-Large bids with 20 wins last year. Nebraska got in with 19. ASU and Xavier with 21. I haven't even factored in the P12 Tournament.

It can happen! Really! May your stockings be full tomorrow! Happy Holidays!

Well, it's Christmas, so I'm going to take a cheerful look at the remainder of the season.

Firstly, I recognize that we are playing like **** right now and we have to turn it around quickly, but at least the talent is there. Despite the awful non-con, we are still 87 in RPI, which means we need to pass up about 25 teams by the end of the season.

Iowa and K State got At-Large bids with 20 wins last year. Nebraska got in with 19. ASU and Xavier with 21. I haven't even factored in the P12 Tournament.

It can happen! Really! May your stockings be full tomorrow! Happy Holidays!

I think we'd have to pass more then 25 teams, as a lot of the smaller conferences are going to have their champion not be in the Top 60 or so of the RPI.

To me, it is more about the quality of wins then the total number of wins. KSU, for instance, beat a good Gonzaga and George Washington team last year. They had quality OOC wins. Colorado doesn't have that, and so will have to be very special in Conference play to get the committee to look the other way, and basically ignore their OOC resume or lack thereof.

And the problem is the Pac-12 sucks this year. This is looking more and more like a 4 bid league. We have basically 7 more opportunities to get quality wins against Tournament likely teams (not counting the Pac tourney). At minimum, we need to go 4-3 in those games, and basically kick ass the in the remaining 11

Christmas Day:

Our Buffs (7-4) are @ Hawaii (9-4): Our narrow loss to GW was nothing short of disastrous. However, it has to be put behind us. Hawaii is a very solid team at home (lost to Wichita St by 1 in OT, beat Nebraska, beat Pittsburgh). Buff RPI is currently 86. A road win over UH (this qualifies as a true road game) would be a nice springboard heading into Pac play. Easier said than done. UH hits the boards well as is very good at getting steals. We cannot do our lazy passing routine. Hopefully Hawaii is hungover from their OT loss to Wichita. Any narrow hopes the Buffs may have of making a move for the bubble certainly requires a win here @ Hawaii. Any road win is a good win and this would be a nice RPI boost. Buffs are favored by 4. Line has actually moved in CU's favor. Bring us some Christmas joy, Buffs.

DePaul (6-6) vs Loyola Marymount (3-8) (Honolulu, HI): Two horrendous teams. DePaul frankly never showed up and just quit against Ohio. Inexcusable. Loyola fought hard and took Nebraska to OT. DePaul should win this and is favored by 2, but they were checked out against Ohio which has to be concerning for Oliver Purnell. We need all the help we can get.

George Washington (8-3) vs #11 Wichita State (10-1) (Honolulu, HI): As good as Wichita State has looked, they have been shaky at times. Only beat Hawaii by 1 in OT last time out, needing mediocre Alabama to perform an epic choke job to get a 1 point win over the Tide in Wichita, etc. GW is a scrappy, well-coached squad who will give the Shockers a good test. GW looks like a Dance team to me. We need GW's RPI to remain around the excellent position it currently is (28). They got their decent OOC win against us and should do very well in a solid A10. Unfortunately, our loss to GW is often the razor thin line that can determine who gets a Dance bid. Shockers are favored by 5.5. GW win would be good news for us.

Last edited:
Hopefully we can make the NIT this year because Tad really screwed up recruiting guards and not brining any grad transfers to help. WE are looking at a .500 season probably.

Probably the most talented team on paper (number of top 150 players) ever but coaching has been severely lacking. We aren't as bad as we have looked. Probably should have only one loss this year (Wyoming), but coaching has cost us the other four games IMO.

Saturday:

(We all know we aren't Dancing but I've come this far so I'll keep updates flowing)

San Francisco (6-6) @ Pacific (8-4): Dons get underway in WCC play with a key road game. Pacific was picked last in the WCC preseason but is clearly better than that. USF's RPI is a miserable 242 right now, surely that will rise.

Georgia (6-3) vs Mercer (6-6): Dawgs should take care of business at home. In our long line of missed opportunities, Georgia's RPI is currently 21. Just a shame we've wasted each and every chance for a decent win.

#24 Colorado State (12-0) @ New Mexico State (5-8): NMSU is better than their record shows. Lot of tricky games and close losses. This won't be a cakewalk for CSU in their final OOC game. CSU's RPI is 18, just another example of how we've blown it.

Sunday: Colorado RPI 93rd.

Drexel (2-8) vs Iona (7-4): Iona is a solid mid-major. This would be a really nice win for Drexel (Iona is top 100…84th) if they could pull it off, but I'm a bit surprised Iona is only favored by 5. Drexel has been a complete mess but did look better last time out despite losing a close one @ Penn State.

Arizona State (7-5) vs Harvard (7-2): Harvard is coming off a 76-27 loss at UVA but that's a game you just write off. Harvard is a good team, UVA is just on another level right now. That heavy loss has led to ASU being favored by 3. I think Harvard is better than ASU and likely wins unless the UVA loss has completely ****ed with Harvard's head.

Washington State (5-6) vs UC-Davis (9-1): Don't like this one. UC-Davis has faced a weak schedule but they're fresh off winning @ Air Force and @ Northern Colorado. They're 4-1 in true road games. They weren't expected to make much noise preseason but clearly they're better than anticipated. Wazzu is favored by 3, but facing this UC-Davis side riding a wave of momentum and confidence seems dangerous.

UCLA (8-4) @ Alabama (8-3): Alabama has beaten who they should and their only losses were @ Wichita State by 1, @ Xavier, and Iowa State on a neutral court. No shame there. This is UCLA's final game before they visit Boulder. UCLA has been drubbed by everyone they've faced with a pulse thus far. Alabama is nothing special and yet they're favored by 4 over UCLA in this one. Definitely a game to keep an eye on. Glad UCLA is making a long cross country trip.

#13 Washington (11-0) vs Stony Brook (7-6): Final OOC game for Washington before they visit Berkeley and Palo Alto to begin Pac play. Huskies should win comfortably. Stony Brook is nothing special and has been drubbed by every power conference side they've faced.

Cal (10-2) vs Cal State-Bakersfield (2-10): Bakersfield is amongst the worst in all of D1. A sub-300 squad that will damage Cal's RPI regardless of a win. Cal should steamroll these guys before Washington pays a visit.

Back