What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Spring Practices Thread

If Kutsch wins starting RT job, OL depth will be good.

Believe Kutsch is working at guard.

If he can hold down both spots, we are really in good shape!
Would like to know what year Kutsch is. I know he played last year, but not sure he played so much that he didn't RS. I've seen him listed both as a SO and JR.

Stats show he played in 3 games on the OL. Did MM burn his RS to have him on Punt team or something?

Edit: Yup, he played on PA/FG team. So dumb.

The difference between Emmett and Barry were the teams. Emmett was talented, but he couldn't hold Barry's jock strap with pure talent.
How many could hold Barry's jock? I haven't seen many, if any, that had more pure talent. That's a weird question too, I apologize.:D

Manhattan..."I don't agree with you, so you're stupid"...

Real mature.

Nope. The rationale for your arguments in this thread have been “a lot of people” and “pittsburgh steelers”. When I and others respond, your answer has been that we “haven’t read what a lot of people wrote”. When your logic gets pressed further, your response is that you’re not the only one who believes your theory.

Apparently, you think vapid and baseless assertions are arguments. When you get called out, you’ve got nothing but more vapid and baseless assertions. Real mature.

Last edited:
Just a little collegiate persective on Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith, when Sanders was at Chokelahoma State he couldn't unseat Thurmond Thomas as the starter. He wasn't the first teamer until 1988, after Thomas graduated. Unfortunately, I got to see him close up in our Big 8 opener against the Cowboys. Not a banner day for the Buffs.

Emmitt was the #1 rb in Florida in 1987. I blocked for #2--Hilton Mobley- who went to Miami. UF had an well regarded incumbent at running back, Octavius Gould. When Emmitt got to camp in Gainesville, Gould transfered, leaving Emmitt to lead Florida through the last phase of pre-Spurrier Gator football.

TL/DR: old guy tangent tatamount to argiung Wilt vs. Bill Russell.

Just a little collegiate persective on Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith, when Sanders was at Chokelahoma State he couldn't unseat Thurmond Thomas as the starter. He wasn't the first teamer until 1988, after Thomas graduated. Unfortunately, I got to see him close up in our Big 8 opener against the Cowboys. Not a banner day for the Buffs.

Emmitt was the #1 rb in Florida in 1987. I blocked for #2--Hilton Mobley- who went to Miami. UF had an well regarded incumbent at running back, Octavius Gould. When Emmitt got to camp in Gainesville, Gould transfered, leaving Emmitt to lead Florida through the last phase of pre-Spurrier Gator football.

TL/DR: old guy tangent tatamount to argiung Wilt vs. Bill Russell.
MMac was the coach at chokelahoma state?

Much like @Jens1893 warned me about with the Star Wars Star Trek debate, nothing derails a thread faster than the Emmitt versus Barry debate.

I personally would rather have Emmitt because he was a complete back. Excellent north south runner, played with power, excellent at the goal line in short yardage, and was a great blocker. This doesn’t mean Barry wasn’t awesome and good at many of those things, but overall I like Emmitt more.

i hate both barry and emmitt. life is so much easier this way. oh, and any of you bitches throw out tony romo as a HOF qb and you're getting casa bonita'd.

as for SPRING PRACTICE, i like to see us trying to build some depth on the OL... also, RB by committee seems inevitable so it is good to see lots of guys get reps and make a few plays. one of things i am really interested to see play out is this shift from full-on grass basketball to a more traditional pro-style power game. that's a big switch.

Much like @Jens1893 warned me about with the Star Wars Star Trek debate, nothing derails a thread faster than the Emmitt versus Barry debate.

I personally would rather have Emmitt because he was a complete back. Excellent north south runner, played with power, excellent at the goal line in short yardage, and was a great blocker. This doesn’t mean Barry wasn’t awesome and good at many of those things, but overall I like Emmitt more.

Sanders was my hero as kid, I loved him even as a Broncos fan. Was devastated when he retired early.

I think this goes back to the point of allowing media some more time at practices. The small tidbits we are getting to talk about is more than we've had in 2 years. I think everyone can work within the limits, but to completely cut off everyone doesn't really make any sense.

Even opening up five practices (one third of the total) to the media would generate at least some buzz.

Even opening up five practices (one third of the total) to the media would generate at least some buzz.
I honestly think the interest would be meh honestly. Gone are the days where CU was a national contender or even a program where people really even cared except for alums. Even if the practices were open, I don’t see many press showing up except maybe a junior token guy.

I honestly think the interest would be meh honestly. Gone are the days where CU was a national contender or even a program where people really even cared except for alums. Even if the practices were open, I don’t see many press showing up except maybe a junior token guy.

The turnout would be small, which is the whole point. The team loses nothing by letting some core media members watch practices and give some general thoughts. But shutting everything out ensures zero buzz for most of the year. Maybe the Spring Game will actually be a real live event this year.

Nope. The rationale for your arguments in this thread have been “a lot of people” and “pittsburgh steelers”. When I and others respond, your answer has been that we “haven’t read what a lot of people wrote”. When your logic gets pressed further, your response is that you’re not the only one who believes your theory.

Apparently, you think vapid and baseless assertions are arguments. When you get called out, you’ve got nothing but more vapid and baseless assertions. Real mature.
I just cant get over the fact that everyone else got back on topic, yet the next morning (today) you're still hung up on this.

Obviously you're bound and determined to win an argument everyone else dropped.

Last edited:
I just cant get over the fact that everyone else got back on topic, yet the next morning (today) you're still hung up on this.

Obviously you're bound and determined to win an argument everyone else dropped.

I had to go to bed, so I couldn’t respond to another dumb post of yours until this morning.

i hate both barry and emmitt. life is so much easier this way. oh, and any of you bitches throw out tony romo as a HOF qb and you're getting casa bonita'd.

as for SPRING PRACTICE, i like to see us trying to build some depth on the OL... also, RB by committee seems inevitable so it is good to see lots of guys get reps and make a few plays. one of things i am really interested to see play out is this shift from full-on grass basketball to a more traditional pro-style power game. that's a big switch.

Just give me Walter and end of debate.

And agree with you on moving towards power style running game. The PAC is full of defenses designed to defend against spreads and finesse offenses. Stanford has shown that you can be successful in our league by hitting people in the mouth.

Not saying go full Woody Hayes but being able to line up on a second or third and 3 and knowing that we can run right at the defense and likely get the first down would be refreshing.

I hope he listens. As far as how he feels, idk the guy, so I wouldn't know. Last time I checked, he isn't the head man.:D

Also, go back and look at Travon's game by game numbers. Against the meat of our schedule the running game was stifled, regardless of who got carries, and McMillian was bolstered by a handful of huge outlier runs.

The only two guys that got carries were McMillian and Evans. Nobody has an honest gauge on Fontenot or any of the others. It is all speculation. If we are committed to the run, have larger and better coached linemen, and obviously a talented 5th year senior that can throw long balls or any route, the running game WILL improve.

Throwing will set up the run, and running will set up the pass! I cannot wait to finally see a real play action fake.

To be honest, I don't want to see many designed runs for Montez or zone read, whatever.. I think it gets him antsy in the pocket. He's not a crap athlete or anything and he's made plays with his legs. I wouldn't call him the dual threat type, really. Besides, since we don't know what the other qb's can do, besides Noyer, I'd rather him not be running around much, unless a play breaks down.

I think it makes for an interesting dynamic this season. This is a different system than what he is comfortable with running.
I give Chev props for being willing to stick around after a demotion. I think most coaches would have left for another opportunity, even if it was going to be a WR coach only somewhere else.

I have to imagine Chev knew/knows he ****ed up last year in not getting the TE involved, but you’re right, it creates an interesting dynamic.

To be honest, I don't want to see many designed runs for Montez or zone read, whatever.. I think it gets him antsy in the pocket. He's not a crap athlete or anything and he's made plays with his legs. I wouldn't call him the dual threat type, really. Besides, since we don't know what the other qb's can do, besides Noyer, I'd rather him not be running around much, unless a play breaks down.
Why not? It's a gigantic advantage for an offense to give the defense something else to plan for. I don't think you will ever see what happened with Sefo, but Steven is pretty good, IMO, at running the zone read. This new staff seems to prefer that in a qb.

The turnout would be small, which is the whole point. The team loses nothing by letting some core media members watch practices and give some general thoughts. But shutting everything out ensures zero buzz for most of the year. Maybe the Spring Game will actually be a real live event this year.

CU football doesn't really exist from early February until mid-late August, seems people like it that way.

Back