What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Spring Practices Thread

Jacob Callier?

I thought he was leaving the team. Did that not happen?
Pretty sure that was just speculation from some people seeing him tweet something along the lines of "In need of a change" or something similar. But there was never anything that said for sure he was leaving.

Good to hear Smith and Broussard are stepping up at RB.

Agree but wonder what their potential is as players. This seems like another position where the existing talent won't be a barrier to a quality incoming recruit playing a lot

For us to run the OL is going to have to take a big step forward because is seems like what we have at RB right now is a big step down from what we have had recently in Lindsay and McMillian.

Agree but wonder what their potential is as players. This seems like another position where the existing talent won't be a barrier to a quality incoming recruit playing a lot

For us to run the OL is going to have to take a big step forward because is seems like what we have at RB right now is a big step down from what we have had recently in Lindsay and McMillian.
McMillian was a JAG, if we're being honest. Decent player, but his workload last season was more of an indictment on the other guys at the time than him being a really good player. As Duff said, it seems that Fontenot has not done much to separate from the others, and has possibly taken a back seat to Broussard and Smith. I think Smith has the talent to be a really good player, but was hurt most of last year, and maybe Broussard is better than people think.

McMillian was a JAG, if we're being honest. Decent player, but his workload last season was more of an indictment on the other guys at the time than him being a really good player. As Duff said, it seems that Fontenot has not done much to separate from the others, and has possibly taken a back seat to Broussard and Smith. I think Smith has the talent to be a really good player, but was hurt most of last year, and maybe Broussard is better than people think.

Smith in HS showed himself to be a versatile back and looked like he had good RB skills, not great but legitimate.

McMillian was not close to PL but I would put him at much better than JAG, and yes the other guys didn't step up enough to earn playing time even when McMillian wasn't highly effective. Part of that may have been that FHCMM just tended to play his upperclassmen and in too many cases didn't give young guys playing time when it mattered but from the little we did see I think it is more that they just weren't very good.

All three Fontenot, Smith, and Broussard have a lot to prove. It would be good if one or more steps up but until then I'm considering the position to be a weakness in terms of talent.

McMillian pulled a thousand yards behind one of the worst P5 lines in college football. Show that man some respect.

I'm way too lazy to go back and read 23 pages of stuff. Can somebody give a Cliff Notes version on how spring practices are going and any important things we can conclude so far ?

Here we go with the Fontenot crap. Kid is running as the #1 right now. Bigger, stronger, smarter, and has home run burst and has never played meaningful snaps yet. Give the kid a chance like we all gave the JAG TM a shot!

Maybe Callier meant new coach instead of new place for him? Do we all think that MM stood up enough for him against Frost and the Husker BS?

Have heard a lot of NFL players say they are annoying, limit your range of motion, and don't really help with anything. They just look ****ing cool.
That’s the thing. Once you’ve pulled it back and spread it out so the neck roll doesn’t limit your range of motion & vision at all, it becomes useless except as a fashion accessory.

Here we go with the Fontenot crap. Kid is running as the #1 right now. Bigger, stronger, smarter, and has home run burst and has never played meaningful snaps yet. Give the kid a chance like we all gave the JAG TM a shot!

Maybe Callier meant new coach instead of new place for him? Do we all think that MM stood up enough for him against Frost and the Husker BS?

How do you know he is running as the #1 right now? He is a about to be a redshirt sophomore, so we should not be having to wait much longer for him to show something. He either has it or does not, but the hype on him seems mostly unwarranted.

Pretty sure that was just speculation from some people seeing him tweet something along the lines of "In need of a change" or something similar. But there was never anything that said for sure he was leaving.
And it was about wanting a change of scene for a breakfast joint.

How do you know he is running as the #1 right now? He is a about to be a redshirt sophomore, so we should not be having to wait much longer for him to show something. He either has it or does not, but the hype on him seems mostly unwarranted.

Even if he is the #1 guy right now does that mean anything other than they have nobody who has stepped forward and taken the job.

How do you know any of this about Fontenot? He got the most carries of the top 4 RBs, but also had the lowest YPC. Even if you believe he’s the same as the younger guys, that’s still an indictment on him as a guy who is going into his 3rd year on campus.

Maybe Fontenot has all the talent in the world, but maybe he can't pick up a blitz. seems to always be the answer anytime we wonder why a talented RB doesnt get playing time

How do you know any of this about Fontenot? He got the most carries of the top 4 RBs, but also had the lowest YPC. Even if you believe he’s the same as the younger guys, that’s still an indictment on him as a guy who is going into his 3rd year on campus.

Fontenot is the next Montez. Is he a world beater, no. Is he a good back that has not had a chance to show his stuff yet, yes. A single Spring Scrimmage does not make a player good or bad, and it is a good sign he got the most carries to back up my initial point that he is RB1A right now. I want the Buffs to win every game, so whoever is the RB that plays the best is fine with me, but I defended Montez because I saw talent and grit, and ability and it has paid off in a decent way, but not great, we are by no means at the mountaintop. I think in my gut based on little comments from Adam and others that Fontenot has the inside lead to be the lead back and maybe get 15-20 carries, and I think he will do well and I guess I just need to defend him since everyone bashes on him. If someone else turns into Todd Gurley, then I am all in on that guy cause hopefully that means the Buffs are better. I am a defender of the little and forgotten man.

Fontenot is the next Montez. Is he a world beater, no. Is he a good back that has not had a chance to show his stuff yet, yes. A single Spring Scrimmage does not make a player good or bad, and it is a good sign he got the most carries to back up my initial point that he is RB1A right now. I want the Buffs to win every game, so whoever is the RB that plays the best is fine with me, but I defended Montez because I saw talent and grit, and ability and it has paid off in a decent way, but not great, we are by no means at the mountaintop. I think in my gut based on little comments from Adam and others that Fontenot has the inside lead to be the lead back and maybe get 15-20 carries, and I think he will do well and I guess I just need to defend him since everyone bashes on him. If someone else turns into Todd Gurley, then I am all in on that guy cause hopefully that means the Buffs are better. I am a defender of the little and forgotten man.

This is what I imagine @Darth Snow ’s slogan is at work.

Mangham(sp) has good siZe and speed. I think he will eventually be the featured back in the power running scheme. Deion Smith, Broussad and Fontenot will also get touches. Didn't Mel Tucker say it will be a running back by committee?

Mangham(sp) has good siZe and speed. I think he will eventually be the featured back in the power running scheme. Deion Smith, Broussad and Fontenot will also get touches. Didn't Mel Tucker say it will be a running back by committee?
Tucker has not said that.

Not sure if he’s said committee specifically, but he’s definitely said he’d like to have a couple guys play regularly.
I don’t mind RB by committee as long as they ride a hot hand. If our RB3 comes in and breaks off a couple 10+ yard runs, he better not sit the rest of the game once his scheduled rotation is over. We saw too much of that in the Hawkins era with committees.

Back