What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Spring Practices Thread

I think the Spring Game played out about as expected. Our 1s are fairly even offense and defense. But I think our Offense is significantly deeper especially at the WR position, but also on the Lines (which is admittedly not good). Having a guy like Arias or Bell matched up on our 5th DB is unfair. Those guys would start at a lot of places. I was surprised that I don't remember a single snap under center. Rumors were that would happen close to 50% of the time.

Other encouraging things:
RB looks to be ok talent wise
Lytle and Noyer both impressive
Offense had throws to the middle of the field and TE

Discouraging:
Montez general struggles in Spring Games continue
Montez still seems to always go to his first read
Defense depth (or lack of) is scary

The end zone fade to a double teamed Nixon was classic Montez. A Sr. can’t be making that throw still.

What was the official attendance?

**Hot take alert**

Lots of talk from Mel Talker since he got here, what was the product on the field? I continue to feel after reading between the lines that this staff is a bunch of guys that are products of great systems, and great programs rather than any innate ability. These guys came waltzing into Boulder acting like god's gift, and from what I saw, this is the same bottom dweller team. How does the D give up that many points? Did you see ole D coordinator's post game deer in the headlights interview? Walked out with his tail between his legs. Montez looking disinterested?? Bad look for Tucker. I saw someone predict coming out 4-1...eek thats as wrong as congratulating #2 Nick Bosa on twitter.

Got that off my chest, pass the kool-aid.

What the high point total showed is that the #2 offense is way deeper than the #2 defense. This is true, but also exacerbated by multiple injuries in the secondary (Miller, Maddox, Hypolite did not play for example). Also on the DL, the #2 defense was playing walk ons. Whereas, the #2 offense has very little drop off at WR, RB, and more seasoned back up QBs. It makes sense they scored a lot.

As to the 2nd point that the coaching staff walked in like “they were god’s gift”, that’s just not true. They’ve come in and built bridges to the incumbent players, said they’ll coach up the talent, and give no excuses. The major theme has been playing physical football. If you have specific examples to support your take, please present them.

Finally, the spring game can show the coaches some things about individual players, but the stats and scores are really meaningless. It’s like the Patriots going 0-5 in preseason every year on their way to the Super Bowl.

What was the official attendance?

**Hot take alert**

Lots of talk from Mel Talker since he got here, what was the product on the field? I continue to feel after reading between the lines that this staff is a bunch of guys that are products of great systems, and great programs rather than any innate ability. These guys came waltzing into Boulder acting like god's gift, and from what I saw, this is the same bottom dweller team. How does the D give up that many points? Did you see ole D coordinator's post game deer in the headlights interview? Walked out with his tail between his legs. Montez looking disinterested?? Bad look for Tucker. I saw someone predict coming out 4-1...eek thats as wrong as congratulating #2 Nick Bosa on twitter.

Got that off my chest, pass the kool-aid.

No kidding. You’d think after 15 practices this new staff would have everything fixed. We should fire them all and give someone else less than a month to see if they can do better.

*** Hot take alert *** Too early to condemn the new coaching staff considering we haven’t played a meaningful game.

First team OL was:
Sherman, Roddick, Lynott, Kutsch, Shutack, left to right.

With the kid coming in from Okie State, does he replace our best young lineman in Sherman? Does Sherman move?
It looked like Filip was at RT to start. Sherman is starting and playing in any scenario he is healthy.

Was only able to watch the 1st half this morning since they switched networks.

Montez looked like Montez has always looked like: Inconsistent. Flashes of his big arm, but accuracy is pretty awful, tbh. He just seemed to be going through the motions, while both Noyer and Lytle looked pretty solid, albeit against some guys that will struggle to see the field.

Arias looked good from what I saw. Mangham had the one long TD run that I saw but outside of that, I didn’t feel any RB was better than the others (admittedly I didn’t see the second half).

Van Diest is good and I’m excited about him and Landman in the middle.

Just one guys opinion, but the top 3 receivers have to be Viska, Arias, and Brown, no? I’m constantly underwhelmed by KD...
Bell made a case, albeit against a walkon corner. Questioning KD is not a pathway to popularity on this board.

Bell made a case, albeit against a walkon corner. Questioning KD is not a pathway to popularity on this board.
That’s because it’s a ridiculous take. KD is a really good player if used correctly. Using him as an outside receiver and throwing up prayers to him isn’t his game, yet he still had decent success doing it. Frankly, Chev had no idea what he was doing last year, and I expect Johnson to put him in a position to be far more successful.

Filip started
It looked like Filip was at RT to start. Sherman is starting and playing in any scenario he is healthy.
Fliip started 2H. Shautak moved inside Roddick sat. Then then flipped back and forth with starting 5.

If Hambright and Filip can man the OT position allowing Sherman to move inside, that could be ideal.

That’s because it’s a ridiculous take. KD is a really good player if used correctly. Using him as an outside receiver and throwing up prayers to him isn’t his game, yet he still had decent success doing it. Frankly, Chev had no idea what he was doing last year, and I expect Johnson to put him in a position to be far more successful.
I hope a scheme emerges for KD. It wasn’t there yesterday. In situations where they go 2 slots, I much rather see KD inside rather than a split TE. That would leave Brown, Viska and Arias outside. I hope we see Viska in the slot and on the move some too.

Filip started

Fliip started 2H. Shautak moved inside Roddick sat. Then then flipped back and forth with starting 5.

If Hambright and Filip can man the OT position allowing Sherman to move inside, that could be ideal.
Don't see Filip starting this year. Dont' forget, your favorite lineman Pursell will possibly start, and he wasn't available yesterday.

Don't see Filip starting this year. Dont' forget, your favorite lineman Pursell will possibly start, and he wasn't available yesterday.
Filip would be a stretch, I agree.

Lynott is bigger, made the line calls in new scheme that leaves a lot of the run game at the LOS. Good snaps.

Pursell has work to do.

I think the Spring practice was a success. Good experience for young players like Mangham. The next phase is the summer workouts. I want Lang to add another 10 pounds before fall camp. The team will get better. Reinforcements on the DL are coming. Looks like Mangham will be the starting running back.

By not running Viska into the ground like last years staff did and having a rotation of personnel groupings to keep guys fresh and create favorable matchups. Deepest position on the team needs to use that to their advantage.
Agree. Especially with the speed of some of those guys. Get a DB tried and bring in a fresh WR to beat him over the top.

I think the Spring practice was a success. Good experience for young players like Mangham. The next phase is the summer workouts. I want Lang to add another 10 pounds before fall camp. The team will get better. Reinforcements on the DL are coming. Looks like Mangham will be the starting running back.
I think Mangham will be worked into the rotation, but early on it’ll be Fontenot, Smith and Broussard, IMO. That is, unless Mangham shows out against the #1 D during Fall Camp

I think the coaching staff instructed the defensive players not to go 100%. Watch Mangham's 2nd TD run, the DB square's up on him 5 yards past the line of scrimmage, taps him with both hands on his shoulder pads and jumps out of his way so he can score. Translation, this was a spring game.

I think the coaching staff instructed the defensive players not to go 100%. Watch Mangham's 2nd TD run, the DB square's up on him 5 yards past the line of scrimmage, taps him with both hands on his shoulder pads and jumps out of his way so he can score. Translation, this was a spring game.

That’s cause the DB was in a grey no contact jersey. They were blowing the play dead when those guys got around the ball carrier, except for this play apparently

Is it safe to say the reports of Fontenot’s demise were exaggerated? I recall some around here saying he was a prime attrition candidate. Now it seems as though he’s the #1 or #2 RB. Maybe I’m not reading it right.

Keep looking at our strengths and weaknesses and depth chart and keep concluding the roster was built for grass basketball no huddle hurry up and all shotgun. E.g. the riches at wideout.

This transition to a power team is going to be work.

Keep looking at our strengths and weaknesses and depth chart and keep concluding the roster was built for grass basketball no huddle hurry up and all shotgun. E.g. the riches at wideout.

This transition to a power team is going to be work.
We don't have the Oline yet for a power game and that will take some time, unless we can secure some of the steroids the Husker use and then our pros will be embarrassing themselves in the NFL.

Is it safe to say the reports of Fontenot’s demise were exaggerated? I recall some around here saying he was a prime attrition candidate. Now it seems as though he’s the #1 or #2 RB. Maybe I’m not reading it right.

I kept saying this was the spring to show something. He has.

My concern with Fontenot is that he didn’t get any run last year, even when McMillan was slowed/hurt. I guess going with Kyle Evans was MacIntyre being MacIntyre.

Back