What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Texas State Game Thread

This is a stretch, but I wonder how much the 'secrecy' factor effects things. The biggest thing is limiting the media at practices: we, and the coaches and players, get no independent feedback and so we start the season filled with BS about how great the team is, how explosive the offense. Maybe if someone knowledgeable and open-minded had watched Spring and Fall practices, they could have been pointing out the weak areas. Same thing, to a much lessor extent, with them stopping public comments at the Buffzone: 'we don't want criticism'. After the csu game, neither of the CU insiders, the Buffzone or CUBuffs.com, said a word about controversial calls in their main articles the next day. Not sure what they are trying to achieve.

This is a stretch, but I wonder how much the 'secrecy' factor effects things. The biggest thing is limiting the media at practices: we, and the coaches and players, get no independent feedback and so we start the season filled with BS about how great the team is, how explosive the offense. Maybe if someone knowledgeable and open-minded had watched Spring and Fall practices, they could have been pointing out the weak areas. Same thing, to a much lessor extent, with them stopping public comments at the Buffzone: 'we don't want criticism'. After the csu game, neither of the CU insiders, the Buffzone or CUBuffs.com, said a word about controversial calls in their main articles the next day. Not sure what they are trying to achieve.
Fan knowledge of the of the team's capabilities and limitations during pre-season, while interesting, has exactly zero relevance to the team's performance.

Fan knowledge of the of the team's capabilities and limitations during pre-season, while interesting, has exactly zero relevance to the team's performance.
No, but it can be useful in setting expectations.

Also, having outside eyeballs and feedback can a. help the staff avoid group think, and b. help the players realize that their **** does, in fact, stink.

The most competent and professional staff in the world can suffer from off season group think, and players can easily fall into the "coach has to point out my weaknesses because he's my coach, but look at my press, I'm actually pretty ****ing good" trap.

No, but it can be useful in setting expectations.

Also, having outside eyeballs and feedback can a. help the staff avoid group think, and b. help the players realize that their **** does, in fact, stink.

The most competent and professional staff in the world can suffer from off season group think, and players can easily fall into the "coach has to point out my weaknesses because he's my coach, but look at my press, I'm actually pretty ****ing good" trap.
I agree that outside professional opinions can help with the group think pitfall. I'm not sure that if I were the head coach of a team that I would put fans or the press high on my list of professional opinion providers. My guess is there are trusted advisors present to help with independent evaluation. Of course, they are undergoing an independent evaluation right now provided by CSU and TSU.

Sure, it would be nice to set our expectations, but our expectations only impact ticket sales. Either way, it is what it is. Right now expectations are adjusted and reality is 2-0, but there is ample time to make adjustments and re-adjust expectations before the independent evaluations get more challenging.

Watching other games today reinforces for me how weak we are at RB.
I'll say it again, Lindsay seems to be avoiding contact to the extreme this year. There were a few instances where we only needed a yard or two and he could have gone straight ahead for 3 or 4 but have been hit. Instead, he planted, went sideways, took a less ferocious hit and only got 1. I'm not questioning his mettle, but it's frustrating to watch.

I'll say it again, Lindsay seems to be avoiding contact to the extreme this year. There were a few instances where we only needed a yard or two and he could have gone straight ahead for 3 or 4 but have been hit. Instead, he planted, went sideways, took a less ferocious hit and only got 1. I'm not questioning his mettle, but it's frustrating to watch.
He definitely has avoided contact on several plays, but, to my memory, none where the extra yardage would have been critical. I guess he's trying to avoid injury in meaningless games. Although that doesn't always work out

Takeaways: The O line for the second week in a row showed little to no cohesion. Montez is being forced into making plays on the fly, can't stand in the pocket if there isn't one or you only have 3 seconds of one. Montez wasn't a pocket passer in high school and the coaches knew this when they offered him. 50 some practices and the OC's are still trying to make him into one instead of using his skill set. I posted this last week and I will again, roll him out or bootleg and teach the receivers to stay with him and not give up on a play. The most encouraging aspect on offense this week was seeing Winfree, Shenault and Nixon integrated.

He definitely has avoided contact on several plays, but, to my memory, none where the extra yardage would have been critical. I guess he's trying to avoid injury in meaningless games. Although that doesn't always work out
I agree that it may not have been necessary most of the time. However, that becomes your muscle memory and it becomes harder to start initiating contact than to continue contact. I just don't see how he goes "ok, we're playing Washington. NOW i'm going to initiate contact."

I actually thought coming into the season that we would see a higher pass to rush ratio from last year given the dept at WR. I realize it's early but for some reason I'm concerned that we're overloaded with talent at the position.

Couple things, way late to the thread.

That first half offensive performance was mostly on Montez, he had guys running down field on flys and seem routes wide ****ing open and just could not get through to see them. Chris ****ing bounds was running wide open for god sakes.

Is it just me or does it seem like most of our run plays are traps? We need to see some quick hitters instead of letting the defense read what we are doing, especially against a team with good linebackers like TSU.

Overall just a really flat game at the beginning and the line if becoming annoying to watch, there is no reason they shouldn't be dominating these games. It is clear that kaiser is a guard and they refuse to play anyone else over there.

Our D...after allowing that 55 yd run on the first play...was ridiculous. Of teams playing 2 or more games, were #1 in scoring defense. I know it's way early but to not have allowed a TD in 8 quarters is awesome.

Jim who?

Couple things, way late to the thread.

That first half offensive performance was mostly on Montez, he had guys running down field on flys and seem routes wide ****ing open and just could not get through to see them. Chris ****ing bounds was running wide open for god sakes.

Is it just me or does it seem like most of our run plays are traps? We need to see some quick hitters instead of letting the defense read what we are doing, especially against a team with good linebackers like TSU.

Overall just a really flat game at the beginning and the line if becoming annoying to watch, there is no reason they shouldn't be dominating these games. It is clear that kaiser is a guard and they refuse to play anyone else over there.
One thing about Montez that I haven't seen since Detmer is that he does tend to look for the long ball more than the short stuff.

Our D...after allowing that 55 yd run on the first play...was ridiculous. Of teams playing 2 or more games, were #1 in scoring defense. I know it's way early but to not have allowed a TD in 8 quarters is awesome.

Jim who?
Not being talked about enough. Winning by double digits despite playing poorly on one side of the ball? Give me that all day.

But that result two weeks in a row in concerning.
Honestly who gives a ****. Buffs are 2-0, look kinda crappy on offense without two key starters and still basically covered the spread in both games. No amount of bitching on a message board is going to change anything so why waste energy on the anxiety? Just enjoy the ride.

Honestly who gives a ****. Buffs are 2-0, look kinda crappy on offense without two key starters and still basically covered the spread in both games. No amount of bitching on a message board is going to change anything so why waste energy on the anxiety? Just enjoy the ride.
Haha, I have been at both games man it's not like I am boycotting the buffs. I am just stating that the offense is more than concerning at this point, trust me I am enjoying the ride and paying for it this morning lol.

Montez's biggest problem is that even when he has a pocket to step up into, he rolls away. I don't think he was giving himself time to go through his progressions. He needs to learn to trust the pocket more.

You have a lot of posts so I'm sure you know what the point of this site is for...

You have a lot of posts so I'm sure you know what the point of this site is for...
Whatever floats your boat. Messages are fine, I just don't get the complete negativity given where we were over the last 10 years and where we are now. Sunshine pump ftmfw!!!

The announcers made some great points about moving from the Hunter to the Hunted, or from being Hungry to win, to being able to sustain excellence. A few issues that I have with this team that I see is:

1) Lindgren is not up to the sophistication that this level of talent needs! Montez has two skills, strong quick release, and then improvising on the outsides. So, need to play into that skill. Do not run complicated route trees that make him look downfield and decide on a read. Either throw a quick ball and let the talent take over on RAC yards, or work on better ball fakes and roll him out and then throw the long ball. PROOF of my attitude towards Lindgren is Elliott! Elliott walks in with all these new guys and builds a solid defense in 9 months. Lindgren has had Montez and all these guys for 3 years and they look lost.

2) We seem to be still celebrating winning 10 games from last year. Montez goes into epic celebrations every time he does one little thing, instead of acting like "You have been here before". I really wish that maybe Hagan can mentor Montez a little on the side about being the leader of the Buffs. I am seeing frustration on the WR's body language similar to last year. I love watching kids break the huddle and most of the time you can tell if the play call might be coming there way, or if they know it is some lame QB run. PL is my favorite player, but you can tell he is starting to think about the NFL a little too much. Maybe he is saving his best for the big games.

I still believe we are very good, and I expect to win 8 games minimum and we will be competitive in every game. This will be a fun year, and although this is supposed to be the Best OLine ever, I believe that the new kids waiting in the wing will set the bar even higher.

Finally, seems like we would be better functioning out of the Pistol formation with the RB behind the QB so to have some better timing, angles, and play fakes. Does Montez know how to do even a decent play fake?

Go Buffs, 2-0 is a good thing!

Not trying to be too critical by saying this, seeing what I've seen from Bisharat last year and heard this year, hes not a rb. Fb, Idk. Where you put him idk really, have some ideas. My question is would he be willing to use his talents at another position?

Back