What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Oklahoma leapfrogs UT

How is that opinion so totally out of whack?

no one said you were not entitled to your opinion.

i do think you overemphasize one game to some extent. the rrso should not be completely disregarded; nor should it be the only factor that is regarded. given how the season has ended, i think oklahoma has better stayed the distance. i think that a factor when thinking of the best teams of the year. notice no one is attempting to rank in the moment, but as a correctable whole based on all lines of evidence each week.

a couple weeks ago, i shared your opinion. that has changed.

A little bit different when both teams have identical records, isn't it? Not a very valid comparison.

As I said, both teams are very good. Both teams have legit claims that they are one of the top two teams in the country. At this point, it is really just nitpicking to find any major flaws with either team. I just happen to think the head to head win puts Texas over the top. How is that opinion so totally out of whack?

ok not a very valid comparision....

your opinion is not out of whack at all, but you are forgeting one key factor in your h2h logic.... why dont you have TTech over Texas?? didnt TTech just beat down Texas in the last game Texas has played??

ok not a very valid comparision....

your opinion is not out of whack at all, but you are forgeting one key factor in your h2h logic.... why dont you have TTech over Texas?? didnt TTech just beat down Texas in the last game Texas has played??

True. Although considering that Texas got beat on the very last play in a road game while Tech just got slaughtered in their one loss probably takes care of that.

I really will not have a problem with either OU or Texas being picked. I think either would have a good shot at winning the national title. I don't think the team that gets left out will be getting completely screwed over either. The only team that has truly taken care of business to this point is Bama.

I am hoping both OU and Texas win out.

Then I hope Florida loses this weekend at Florida State.
Then I hope Alabama loses either to Auburn or Florida.

Then OU/UT can play again in the Nat. Champ game.

I like your style. Bama might have to lose twice in order for that to work. Not really sure though.

True. Although considering that Texas got beat on the very last play in a road game while Tech just got slaughtered in their one loss probably takes care of that.

I really will not have a problem with either OU or Texas being picked. I think either would have a good shot at winning the national title. I don't think the team that gets left out will be getting completely screwed over either. The only team that has truly taken care of business to this point is Bama.

a loss is a loss, road or home, on the last play of the game or the 1st. Mack Brown and Texas are saying they should be ranked higher than Oklahoma because of a 45-35 win. But when asked about whether Tech should be ranked higher than his Longhorns because of tech's 39-33 victory, Mack then told ESPN he didnt want to get into that.

Thats the problem I have right now, Texas fans, coaches and players talk all about beating OU, but you bring up the subject of TTech and they say it isn't part of the discussion.

on top of that check out the Star Telegram. Seems Texas is having 40,000 Orange signs with white lettering printed to hand out Thursday night that say 45-35 to remind BCS folks who won between OU and Texas. Then on Saturday that are going to fly a plane over Stillwater during ESPN's gameday that say Texas 45 OU 35.

And Stoops wouldn't discuss it anymore with the media today. To me all this points towards I dont think Texas fans, coaches and players really think they are a better team than OU....

:yeahthat:

a loss is a loss, road or home, on the last play of the game or the 1st. Mack Brown and Texas are saying they should be ranked higher than Oklahoma because of a 45-35 win. But when asked about whether Tech should be ranked higher than his Longhorns because of tech's 39-33 victory, Mack then told ESPN he didnt want to get into that.

Thats the problem I have right now, Texas fans, coaches and players talk all about beating OU, but you bring up the subject of TTech and they say it isn't part of the discussion.

on top of that check out the Star Telegram. Seems Texas is having 40,000 Orange signs with white lettering printed to hand out Thursday night that say 45-35 to remind BCS folks who won between OU and Texas. Then on Saturday that are going to fly a plane over Stillwater during ESPN's gameday that say Texas 45 OU 35.

And Stoops wouldn't discuss it anymore with the media today. To me all this points towards I dont think Texas fans, coaches and players really think they are a better team than OU....

troo. that is why i said that texas is better at :cry:

:woot: that would be seriously fun.

The land thieves are ahead of texas because they lost their game earlier rather than later. Had Texas lost to Tech in September/early October, and then beaten OU last week, Texas would be ranked higher. Since Texas had the later-in-the-season loss, they're being penalized more for that L than OU is for theirs.

The land thieves are ahead of texas because they lost their game earlier rather than later. Had Texas lost to Tech in September/early October, and then beaten OU last week, Texas would be ranked higher. Since Texas had the later-in-the-season loss, they're being penalized more for that L than OU is for theirs.

i have heard this argument before. it does seem to have surface validity. BUT there is a flip side of the coin, too. when you win out early season, you have the opportunity to creep closer to the top spot as those above you lose out. when you fall, the ground you lose is tempered by benefitting from ground gained before.

i can see it either way, but it may just all come out in the wash.

The computers have always been kind to Mack Brown.

All for a UT-OU championship game. After all, it's not only Division I football, it's also the Big 12. Stick it to the other conferences.

after that first drive of texas, i do not care if they win by 2000 points. they get no style consideration from me. first, an overgenerous spot resulting in a first down. then, COLTS KNEE WAS DOWN prior to the td.

do you think the refs or booth would notice? no. that was up to the commentators to point out and show the footage.

:cry: horns :cry:

well, sorry. i know the beat down from lb and ubt are coming.

if it were up to me, texas goes over ou in the race for the mnc. lets fact it. its down to them two. they played on a neutral field. texas won. sorry. that is the way it is, imo.

now, dont get me wrong. i would rather have an old big 8 team taking that spot in ou. but, i cant do it.

i understand that ou completely took a TT team that beat Texas behind the woodshed. ou did it at home. texas lost on the road. the tie breaker for that, imo, is a neutral field game with ou and texas to see who is better since we dont have a playoff. we had that. texas won.

but, the good thing is. i dont have a vote. my thoughts/opinion, like my wife often likes to tell me, are of no matter.

so, i will toss my thought out there and i will let you all tell me where i am wrong in my thinking.

:brick:probably what i should have done to myself.

my take, if OU wins Saturday at Stillwater, OU will have a win over a BCS top 12 school on the road, Texas doesnt. Also since Oct 10th OU is undefeated going 6-0 while Texas is 5-1. I give the edge to OU if they win Saturday over OSU, especially if it by more than 4 points (Texas margin of victory at home against the Pokes). Also OU has 2 OOC victories against schools curerently ranked in the top 20, with one of those, Cincy, one voctory away from being Big East Champs. (BCS conference).

Its kinda like the Horn fan that has the 45-35 website, and Mack Brown, all they can say is we beat OU Oct 10, but ask them about the Texas Tech loss and OU victory over Tech and they dont have anything to say.

my take, if OU wins Saturday at Stillwater, OU will have a win over a BCS top 12 school on the road, Texas doesnt. Also since Oct 10th OU is undefeated going 6-0 while Texas is 5-1. I give the edge to OU if they win Saturday over OSU, especially if it by more than 4 points (Texas margin of victory at home against the Pokes). Also OU has 2 OOC victories against schools curerently ranked in the top 20, with one of those, Cincy, one voctory away from being Big East Champs. (BCS conference).

Its kinda like the Horn fan that has the 45-35 website, and Mack Brown, all they can say is we beat OU Oct 10, but ask them about the Texas Tech loss and OU victory over Tech and they dont have anything to say.

i hear ya buddy but, they dont need anything else. they beat OU. they both have one loss. they played in a neutral place. texas beat em. sorry. better luck next year.

if we were talking a 2 loss texas team over OU, i would agree. but we are not. we are talking two one loss teams. they played eachother. one lost. the other didnt. to the victor go the spoils.

like i said. i would rather it go to OU but, nope. sucks but, nope. now, its of no matter. OU is going to get it. not to worry. i am but a pawn poster in the bigger game of chess posting. im a damn cool pawn though. :woot:

i hear ya buddy but, they dont need anything else. they beat OU. they both have one loss. they played in a neutral place. texas beat em. sorry. better luck next year.

if we were talking a 2 loss texas team over OU, i would agree. but we are not. we are talking two one loss teams. they played eachother. one lost. the other didnt. to the victor go the spoils.

like i said. i would rather it go to OU but, nope. sucks but, nope. now, its of no matter. OU is going to get it. not to worry. i am but a pawn poster in the bigger game of chess posting. im a damn cool pawn though. :woot:

ok then using your logic, Texas beat Oklahoma, so they should be higher, then shouldn't TTech should be ranked higher than Texas because they beat Texas?? They are a one loss team too... I have no problem if it was just OU and Texas in this equation, but like all things UT concerning this matter you seem to dismiss the fact Texas lost to Texas Tech that the next game OU beat by 44 points....

Not sure if this has been brought up yet.

medium

Texas Longhorns fans planning flyover during Bedlam
By Jake Trotter - Staff Writer
Published: November 26, 2008

The BCS campaign between Oklahoma and Texas is heading for the sky.

Texas students and fans have raised around $7,000, part of which has paid for a pilot to fly over Stillwater before the Bedlam game Saturday morning during ESPN College GameDay's live telecast.

The plane, which will fly out of the Dallas area, will carry a banner with the inscription “45-35,” the score of Texas' victory over Oklahoma on Oct. 11.

http://www.newsok.com/ut-fans-plann...article/3325441?custom_click=lead_story_title

Man I love college football. :lol:

ok then using your logic, Texas beat Oklahoma, so they should be higher, then shouldn't TTech should be ranked higher than Texas because they beat Texas?? They are a one loss team too... I have no problem if it was just OU and Texas in this equation, but like all things UT concerning this matter you seem to dismiss the fact Texas lost to Texas Tech that the next game OU beat by 44 points....

i understand that ou completely took a TT team that beat Texas behind the woodshed. ou did it at home. texas lost on the road. the tie breaker for that, imo, is a neutral field game with ou and texas to see who is better since we dont have a playoff. we had that. texas won.

that was 4db in post #105 in this thread. i dont dismiss it at all.

TT is tossed out of the equation because of the magnitude of the beat down OU gave them to be in the one loss discussion.

dont know what else to tell ya. probably just gonna have to agree to dissagree. :smile2:

that was 4db in post #105 in this thread. i dont dismiss it at all.

TT is tossed out of the equation because of the magnitude of the beat down OU gave them to be in the one loss discussion.

dont know what else to tell ya. probably just gonna have to agree to dissagree. :smile2:

feel what you feel.

i just think that according to your logic, you really should be pushing tech to go to the mnc.

the weaknesses in your logic:

* the ONLY game worth anything this season is one game. other one loss teams do not have the benefit in participating in that game. eleven other games do not matter.

* woodshed losses cause an elimination for your champion, but woodshed wins don't matter.

* only CERTAIN wins matter to you (texas beat ou at a neutral site - oklahoma win over tt does not matter - it was at home). WILL it matter if okie can woodshed tech on the road?

* margin of victory discrepancies do not matter to you

* total number of ranked bcs opponents do not matter to you.

THAT my friend is a very, very slim picture of the season. if that is what you want to see, then bully for you!

i think tech should print signs with their score over texas to wave at their game this week. :lol:

feel what you feel.

i just think that according to your logic, you really should be pushing tech to go to the mnc.

the weaknesses in your logic:

* the ONLY game worth anything this season is one game. other one loss teams do not have the benefit in participating in that game. eleven other games do not matter.

never said that.

* woodshed losses cause an elimination for your champion, but woodshed wins don't matter.

sure woodshed wins matter. to a point.

* only CERTAIN wins matter to you (texas beat ou at a neutral site - oklahoma win over tt does not matter - it was at home). WILL it matter if okie can woodshed tech on the road?

sure they matter. but you have to weight things against eachother when trying to distinguish one team over the other when comparing one loss teams. if okie had woodsheded TT at TT, that would certianly help thier cause. however, it does not change the fact okie lost to Texas. that matters more.

* margin of victory discrepancies do not matter to you

in matters of a tie breaker, i will take the head to head match up winner over margin of victory. discrepancies or not.

* total number of ranked bcs opponents do not matter to you.

in matters of a tie breaker, i will take the head to head match up winner over number of ranked bcs opponents. never said it didnt matter.

THAT my friend is a very, very slim picture of the season. if that is what you want to see, then bully for you!

yes. i think when comparing two one loss teams to eachother when trying to decide who gets to move on to the championship game from that division, the head to head match up winner gets the nod. its not that the other issues do not matter or points dont matter, its that they dont matter as much as the head to head win.

you know just as well as i do that if the roles were reversed you would be preaching the same logic in defense of okie that im preaching in favor of texas. that is a fact. like i said, i would much rather have okie in thier for old time big 8 sake rather than texas but, oh well.

i think tech should print signs with their score over texas to wave at their game this week. :lol:

i think that would be an outstanding waste of money and i am all for texas teams wasting thier money on worthless stuff. :smile2:

4dembuffs said:
never said that.

that is part and parcel of your scheme.

4dembuffs said:
sure woodshed wins matter. to a point.

to which point, exactly?

4dembuffs said:
sure they matter. but you have to weight things against eachother when trying to distinguish one team over the other when comparing one loss teams. if okie had woodsheded TT at TT, that would certianly help thier cause. however, it does not change the fact okie lost to Texas. that matters more.

nor does it change the fact texas lost to tech. you can't have it both ways. if okie is eliminated, texas is also emininated. so is tech. whoopsie.

4dem said:
in matters of a tie breaker, i will take the head to head match up winner over margin of victory. discrepancies or not.

better start getting your guns up for tech then. tech beat texas. that should be the only game that matters, right?

4dembuffs said:
in matters of a tie breaker, i will take the head to head match up winner over number of ranked bcs opponents. never said it didnt matter.

then why aren't we calling you raider red?

4dembuffs said:
yes. i think when comparing two one loss teams to eachother when trying to decide who gets to move on to the championship game from that division, the head to head match up winner gets the nod. its not that the other issues do not matter or points dont matter, its that they dont matter as much as the head to head win.

okay then raider red!

4dembuffs said:
you know just as well as i do that if the roles were reversed you would be preaching the same logic in defense of okie that im preaching in favor of texas.
family affiliation can **** itself. it certainly did last year when the sooners played the buffs. I HAVE A LIFE AS A BUFF FAN, AND THAT IS NOT CHANGING. that is a very weak line of logic for you to pull - the weakest line yet. i choose to look at the WHOLE, you choose to look at a piece. THAT is a fact.

as for emotional investment, should the sooners dismantle the pokes, they will continue the trend with the polls and leapfrog texas in the bcs. FACT. computers are unemotional and weigh in pieces of the whole. the same whole, by the way that i have been pointing out to you.

if we were going off what i would like to see happen, it would be for texas to keep their ground, go to kansas city, and have their ass waxed by mizzou in payback for their last game. i want a north champion. then the sooners will get to advance to the national championship, by virtue of the games they DID win (one loss is better than two, is it not?) the texas lovers can eat crow or cry - whichever they wish, and i have a north b12 champion to pester ubt with. nothing could be more perfect than that.

Last edited:
to which point, exactly?

up to the point where okie loses the head to head match up vs texas.

nor does it change the fact texas lost to tech. you can't have it both ways. if okie is eliminated, texas is also emininated. so is tech. whoopsie.

no. someone has to win. that is why there are tie breakers is it not?

better start getting your guns up for tech then. tech beat texas. that should be the only game that matters, right?

no. its a 3 way tie. okies woodshed beating of tt trumps tt beating texas at home. texas beating okie on a neutral site trumps okies win over tt at home and texas loss on the road to TT.

then why aren't we calling you raider red?

because im not.

okay then raider red!

why is that necessary?

family affiliation can **** itself. it certainly did last year when the sooners played the buffs. I HAVE A LIFE AS A BUFF FAN, AND THAT IS NOT CHANGING. that is a very weak line of logic for you to pull - the weakest line yet. i choose to look at the WHOLE, you choose to look at a piece. THAT is a fact.

i was not saying anything about family affiliation. sorry if it came across that way. what i ment by a reversal of roles was not between you and me. it was between okie and texas. i should have made that clear so my apologies on that.

as for emotional investment, should the sooners dismantle the pokes, they will continue the trend with the polls and leapfrog texas in the bcs. FACT. computers are unemotional and weigh in pieces of the whole. the same whole, by the way that i have been pointing out to you.

if we were going off what i would like to see happen, it would be for texas to keep their ground, go to kansas city, and have their ass waxed by mizzou in payback for their last game. i want a north champion. then the sooners will get to advance to the national championship, by virtue of the games they DID win (one loss is better than two, is it not?) the texas lovers can eat crow or cry - whichever they wish, and i have a north b12 champion to pester ubt with. nothing could be more perfect than that.

lets make this real simple. are you trying to tell me that if the roles were reversed, (meaning okie beat texas, texas beat TT and TT beat okie in the exact same manner they did this year) that you would not say that okies head to head win over texas trumps those other things? i have a very, very hard time believing that.

For me, it boils down to which team is playing better right now. I'll reserve final judgement on that until after the OU/OSU game. If OU goes into Stoolwater with a beat-down victory, then I think you have to give the nod to OU. If it's an OSU victory, the point is moot, and then Tech goes to the CCG.

up to the point where okie loses the head to head match up vs texas.

and texas lost to tech.

4DemBuffs said:
no. someone has to win. that is why there are tie breakers is it not?

and by the rules of the tie breaker, it is GOING to be oklahoma.

4DemBuffs said:
no. its a 3 way tie. okies woodshed beating of tt trumps tt beating texas at home. texas beating okie on a neutral site trumps okies win over tt at home and texas loss on the road to TT.

not according to the media or the voters.

4DEemBuffs said:
why is that necessary?

because you are the one who is clinging to a one game focus. head to head. i am pointing out the full effect of that logic pattern. get em up!

4DemBuffs said:
lets make this real simple. are you trying to tell me that if the roles were reversed, (meaning okie beat texas, texas beat TT and TT beat okie in the exact same manner they did this year) that you would not say that okies head to head win over texas trumps those other things? i have a very, very hard time believing that.

the whole crux of this really comes down to your belief that this is personal instead of bidness. that is your downfall.

NO MATTER which way the tie came down, i would advocate looking at the bigger picture. that is the point of crowning a champion of the SEASON, rather than a champion of a game, savvy?

so far as the three way tie, i have these observations remark concerning oklahoma, texas tech and texas:

oklahoma trumps all in almost every category: ranked opposition played, high scoring games, and blowout wins. TECH looks better from the standpoint of having more blowout wins (21+ points) than texas, and a head to head win to boot. texas and tech played the same number of ranked teams.

i think the argument can be made that tech is better than texas. that is a point that has been lost among all of this. what texas has better is that they are a media darling and have a hell of a pr machine. to me, that should NOT translate into a higher ranking.

texas might have bested oklahoma in one game. their season has not been better. i will say that having reviewed the rrso after getting back from lawrence, it took a number of factors for texas to win: officials in their pocket banking crazy calls (not limited to missing THREE holds in the backfield on a shipley td run), colt mccoy being deemed off limits in bounds, an ILLEGAL chop block (not called) that broke the arm of one of the better linemen of oklahoma. okalhoma was winning most of that game, and it took the cumulative effect of the above to tip it to texas.

if you wish to focus on ONE game in a season, i would hope that it would be a clean cut game instead of one with so many variables. personally, i will not give texas respect for a game in which they did nothing to earn it with no suspicions.

Last edited:
For me, it boils down to which team is playing better right now. I'll reserve final judgement on that until after the OU/OSU game. If OU goes into Stoolwater with a beat-down victory, then I think you have to give the nod to OU. If it's an OSU victory, the point is moot, and then Tech goes to the CCG.

troo dat. the zorros have more of my respect this season than the horns do, looking earmark-by-earmark.

**** the old SWC teams. I want OU to win the south and if not them TT.

and texas lost to tech.

and by the rules of the tie breaker, it is GOING to be oklahoma.

not according to the media or the voters.

because you are the one who is clinging to a one game focus. head to head. i am pointing out the full effect of that logic pattern. get em up!

the whole crux of this really comes down to your belief that this is personal instead of bidness. that is your downfall.

NO MATTER which way the tie came down, i would advocate looking at the bigger picture. that is the point of crowning a champion of the SEASON, rather than a champion of a game, savvy?

so far as the three way tie, i have these observations remark concerning oklahoma, texas tech and texas:

oklahoma trumps all in almost every category: ranked opposition played, high scoring games, and blowout wins. TECH looks better from the standpoint of having more blowout wins (21+ points) than texas, and a head to head win to boot. texas and tech played the same number of ranked teams.

i think the argument can be made that tech is better than texas. that is a point that has been lost among all of this. what texas has better is that they are a media darling and have a hell of a pr machine. to me, that should NOT translate into a higher ranking.

texas might have bested oklahoma in one game. their season has not been better. i will say that having reviewed the rrso after getting back from lawrence, it took a number of factors for texas to win: officials in their pocket banking crazy calls (not limited to missing THREE holds in the backfield on a shipley td run), colt mccoy being deemed off limits in bounds, an ILLEGAL chop block (not called) that broke the arm of one of the better linemen of oklahoma. okalhoma was winning most of that game, and it took the cumulative effect of the above to tip it to texas.

if you wish to focus on ONE game in a season, i would hope that it would be a clean cut game instead of one with so many variables. personally, i will not give texas respect for a game in which they did nothing to earn it with no suspicions.

ok. have a good day. :smile:

Back