What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Olympic Sports - facilities & varsity additions

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
This is an annual topic for the offseason as basketball ends and we wait for football season to begin.

In terms of adding new sports, I'd say that there would be a few priorities:

1. Title IX Balance - with 85 football scholarships, it's hard to get to 50/50 on men's and women's scholarships. CU must add at least as many women's scholarships as men's scholarships and it's preferable to add more women's scholarships with any varsity additions. This makes a sport like Wrestling tough to do, with its 9.9 scholarships and no women's equivalent.

2. Facilities - construction costs and the future maintenance costs for facilities makes some sports more viable than others within the budget. Baseball & Softball, for example, would require new stadiums and they would be for use by only 1 sport. Same with Ice Hockey (M & W). While they would be popular with fans, they are tough to do.

3. Fan Interest / Competitiveness / Season - it doesn't make a lot of sense to add a sport simply for the sake of adding one. So any considerations would have to be viewed through the lens of whether the sport is something that would attract fans and community interest, whether CU would have the potential to compete for a championship, and whether the sport fills a void in terms of maximizing facility usage for fall/winter/spring. CU is currently light on spring sports, for example.

As a start, Rick George addressed the facility side at the February 16th Board of Regents Meeting. LINK Specifically, he mentioned some facilities initiatives beyond further improvements to Folsom and Coors:
In addition to raising funds to pay for the completed upgrades, CU has a long list of projects it would like to tackle in the future. On the list is a lacrosse complex, upgrades to the lacrosse and volleyball locker rooms and an indoor tennis facility.

That points to a couple things, I believe:

Indoor Tennis Facility: makes sense to bring back Men's Tennis if that happens
Lacrosse Facility: suggests that Men's Lacrosse is a consideration. Also, it would seem that this would be most utilized as a "Field Sports Facility" that would lead to Men's Soccer and Women's Rugby as varsity additions.

Based on that and an educated guess on the sports that would most likely be coming over the course of the plan, here's the scholarship breakdown:

Men's Tennis: 4.5 (spring)
Men's Lacrosse: 12.6 (spring)
Men's Soccer: 9.9 (fall)
Women's Rugby: 12.0 (fall) - of note is USA Rugby is based in Boulder County and is the key player in the sport becoming NCAA sanctioned as a new "emerging sport"

The obvious problem here is that this adds 27 scholarships for men's varsity while only adding 12 for women's varsity. Where might another 15 come from on the women's side?

Rowing (20 scholarships) - We already have 7 Pac-12 programs with Women's Rowing, so scheduling is less challenging. There's often an extremely low recruiting budget with this, too, as it's rarely a high school sport and what many colleges have to do is teach athletes to row once they're on campus. CU could likely fill out a Rowing team by offering scholarships solely to in-state honor roll students who were all-state in another sport and then develop them as rowers once they got to CU. In terms of facilities, this could be done at the Boulder Res. Drawback: not a lot of fan interest and it's questionable whether CU could compete for championships against Pac-12 coastal schools that are producing Olympians.

Adding Rowing would be the easy one since it covers the balance between Men's and Women's sports (and then some). But there's another way to cover that 15 scholarship shortfall that I think I like better:

Triathlon (6.5 beginning 2017-18) - This one's an NCAA "emerging sport" that not a lot of schools have picked up yet. ASU added it, though. Definitely a local interest sport in which CU would likely emerge as an annual national championship contender.

Beach Volleyball (6 scholarships) - CU, OSU and WSU are the only Pac-12 schools not participating. Seems like a natural in terms of a sport that would be popular in the spring, easy to schedule with the conference having heavy participation, and CU would likely be as competitive as it is on the court in volleyball.

Bowling (5 scholarships) - No one in the Pac-12 sponsors this sport, there's little fan interest, and I have no idea how CU would go about recruiting. So what? With CU approving a $280k in renovations and improvements to the on-campus bowling alley at the University Memorial Center that will finish this summer, it looks like the facility is already in place. And most importantly - Bowling is the pinnacle of sports achievement at the University of Nebraska. 5 national championships since it became an NCAA sport in 2003 and 10 before that, all of these within the 19 years the Nubs have had the sport. CU needs to add Bowling in order to tear down this Husker dynasty.

That's my plan, based on what I think is in RG's mind and what needs to be added to fill it out for scholarship balance.

Sport
Scholarships
Lacrosse (M)​
12.6​
Soccer (M)​
9.9​
Tennis (M)​
4.5​
TOTAL MEN
Beach Volleyball (W)​
6.0​
Bowling (W)​
5.0​
Rugby (W)​
12.0​
Triathlon (W)​
6.5​
TOTAL WOMEN
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

NCAA scholarships by sport: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I

I actually think that this or something very similar is likely to happen at CU. First move, if I had to guess, would be Rugby and Men's Soccer being added.

There's a wide gap between what I would want to see and what is a logical addition.

One thing you left out was aquatics. Swimming, diving and water polo can all add female scholarships. We have a facility that is adequate, but not optimal. Eventually, we would want an Olympic size pool, diving well and water polo pool. There's actually some decent swimming talent in Colorado.

Last edited:
Rowing has the problem of frozen lakes during training season. Could use the lake by the power plant on valmont . I think the cooling water gets recycled there so it stays ice free

Another thought would be adding gymnastics programs.

Scholarships are 6.3 for Men and 12.0 for Women.

Could be a great use for a renovated Balch Field House.

8 Pac-12 schools offer Women's as a varsity sport with 2 offering Men's.

Locally, DU has a Women's program and AFA has both Men's & Women's.

Seems like the state of Colorado has pretty strong youth gymnastics and this could be pretty popular.

Gymnastics is certainly popular at Utah. They regularly have the Huntsman Center packed.

Gymnastics is certainly popular at Utah. They regularly have the Huntsman Center packed.
UCLA sold out Pauley recently for their Women's Gymnastics. They don't even do that for the MBB team.

Also when discussing Softball and Baseball, there would need to be a field for each team, however they could combine and share a lot of the stadium facilities.

UCLA sold out Pauley recently for their Women's Gymnastics. They don't even do that for the MBB team.

Also when discussing Softball and Baseball, there would need to be a field for each team, however they could combine and share a lot of the stadium facilities.

Baseball/Softball also require an indoor practice & training facility if we don't want to suck. That's one of the big things that got addressed with Golf and is planning to be addressed with Tennis.

With the recent city of Boulder announcements regarding the Hill District (boutique hotel at 1300 Broadway to serve campus and consideration of a gondola between Pearl Street & the Hill), along with a change to the Boulder Planning Board (2 slow-growth members getting replaced by 2 high-density growth advocates), it looks like we're going to see some major development move forward.

Here's the big one: CU Conference Center and Hotel at the Grandview property. For reference, this is along Broadway where that little Starbucks is located and is really close to Folsom.

https://bouldercolorado.gov/pages/cu-conference-center-and-hotel
If the agreement gets a nod from city leaders, the university plans to work with a private developer to design, finance, build and likely manage the hotel and conference center, which is expected to cost between $80 million and $90 million to construct. The university-owned land at the site would be leased to the developer, CU officials said.

Under the proposed agreement, the city would give CU at least 45 percent of the accommodation taxes generated by hotel rooms at the site for at least 20 years. Based on worst- and best-case scenario projections, CU's 45 percent share of the hotel's accommodation tax revenue could be between $9 million and $15 million over 20 years.
[That means that CU's 55 percent it keeps would be $10-$16MM - or $500-$800k per year just from the taxes.] http://www.dailycamera.com/cu-news/...r-eyes-grandview-site-hotel-conference-center

Construction should begin toward the end of 2017, with an 18-month completion timeline.

A really big deal with this as it relates to athletics is that this site ended up being selected over the idea to put the conference center at the corner of Folsom and Arapahoe. That means that all the CU-owned property along Arapahoe (gas station at Folsom & Arapahoe, motel, family housing, practice fields) is all on the table for redevelopment in other areas.

I suspect that we're going to see a complete re-working of the CU properties between Arapahoe and Boulder Creek and that, with this, we're going to see the new home of our field sports, the construction of an indoor tennis facility, and a complete re-working of family housing (maybe more of a "student village" type feel). These things move so slowly, though. Plans have been on the drawing board for years. https://www.cu.edu/sites/default/files/Oct_2013_DRB_Minutes.pdf

Having two more hotels within walking distance to Folsom is a big big deal. Should allow CU to partner with one of them down the road to offer a hospitality management degree out of the business school as well.

The Gondola thing sounds cool too. I am little sad that they are going to be scrubbing away some of the uniqueness of The Hill, but I also understand how lucrative that property is for developers.

Wonder if CU/Boulder would look at the property along the creek and create some type of "riverwalk". I understand the flood issues would make that difficult, but some restaurants, bars, boutiques down there would be pretty awesome.

Last edited:
Having two more hotels within walking distance to Folsom is a big big deal. Should allow CU to partner with one of them down the road to offer a hospitality management degree out of the business school as well.

The Gondola thing sounds cool too. I am little sad that they are going to be scrubbing away some of the uniqueness of The Hill, but I also understand how lucrative that property is for developers.

I suspect that long-term we're going to see the main student district become Colorado Ave between the main campus and the east campus. That's where all the housing is being pushed and there's about nothing for shops/eateries/services/etc. along Colorado Ave right now.

I suspect that long-term we're going to see the main student district become Colorado Ave between the main campus and the east campus. That's where all the housing is being pushed and there's about nothing for shops/eateries/services/etc. along Colorado Ave right now.

I know CU is looking to push the entire Aerospace Engineering Department out to east campus. When thinking about this move, I realized that there is NOTHING out there. No support for students at all. I would imagine there is going to be a ton of development out there in the very near future.

In my dreams, I see a giant athletics complex at the corner of Arapahoe and Folsom. Inside are wrestling facilities, Olympic pools, gymnastics facilities, the whole works. On the fields behind, there are baseball/softball facilities, soccer and lacrosse. That corner serves as the entry to Colorado Athletics. It becomes a defacto training center for Olympic athletes, who take advantage of the altitude and medical facilities in the champions center. We even have a portion of Boulder Creek carved out for whitewater training. It's glorious.

I would love to see beach volleyball, softball and baseball. Also would like to see men's tennis.

I'm old and remember when CU had gymnastics, wrestling, etc. I see the crowds Utah gets for gymnastics.

I'd love to see lacrosse games at Folsom Field. Would that mean a few rows would have to be taken out & the field raised?

Back