What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

OSU game fallout thread

Completely False. MM completed a solid rebuild of Colorado after the complete destruction of the program. Culminating in a PAC 12 South title and 10 win season.
However he is in incompetent when it comes to sustaining and taking an established program to the next level.
He made the program respectable, approaching average at 4-5 conf wins.

Peter Principle reached.

Mike MacIntyre will be the coach here next year. As this season moves on, the pain of the OSU loss will fade. I believe there is a good chance that CU wins at least one of the remaining 4 games - AZ and Cal are the likely candidates. I suspect 6-6 and a low level bowl game. MacIntyre keeps his job and there are no staff changes - remember that not only does MM have a big buyout most of the assistants have multi year contracts. Even if they go 0-4 the rest of the way. I doubt he will be fired.

I have never been a MacIntyre fan, reasons I have stated before. I keep hearing from some that he has rebuilt the program - he has stabilized it but I would not say rebuilt. We are basically back to a Dan Hawkins type of performance, IMO. The PAC 12 South is not very strong after Utah and I don't know if they are world beaters. UCLA, AZ and ASU are all struggling at times with new coaches and USC is probably pretty average at the moment.
This really is the biggest game of his career. A win will not erase OSU. But a loss could very well be terminal.

Mike MacIntyre will be the coach here next year. As this season moves on, the pain of the OSU loss will fade. I believe there is a good chance that CU wins at least one of the remaining 4 games - AZ and Cal are the likely candidates. I suspect 6-6 and a low level bowl game. MacIntyre keeps his job and there are no staff changes - remember that not only does MM have a big buyout most of the assistants have multi year contracts. Even if they go 0-4 the rest of the way. I doubt he will be fired.

I have never been a MacIntyre fan, reasons I have stated before. I keep hearing from some that he has rebuilt the program - he has stabilized it but I would not say rebuilt. We are basically back to a Dan Hawkins type of performance, IMO. The PAC 12 South is not very strong after Utah and I don't know if they are world beaters. UCLA, AZ and ASU are all struggling at times with new coaches and USC is probably pretty average at the moment.
I do not see the admin. pulling the trigger on MikMac, even if they finish 5-7. I predicted 7-5, and I do think they will pull at least one more win out of their hat. My 7-5 assumed OSU was a gimme. Little did I know CU would lay down, at home, on homecoming and let the Beavers have their way with them.

When D II Danny was retained for year five, when any thinking person could see the massive problems and the stupidity of keeping him, I realized the admin. was largely happy having a team, winning a few games and being nice. As long as the FB team doesn't cause negative PR, all is well. Enter nice MikMac.

The team is soft, and has been for quite a while. OSU gets fired up at the half, comes out and punches CU in the mouth a few times...game over. Same thing at ASU last year where their no name RB went off and took over the 4th Q. Also that midget RB from Utah trucking CU LBs and DBs...no fire, ready to accept a loss. Kind of pathetic actually.

I had hoped with the recent recruiting improvement, something had changed. It appears it hasn't. I still get to a game a season. But, mainly, I keep my powder dry. CU FB, regrettably, is not at the top of the list of things to do on a Sat. fall afternoon. It used to be. Even through the first few D II Danny years, I made time to get to the games.

Premium prices for a mediocre, sometimes infuriatingly bad, product just do not cut it, even for an alum and fan like me. Add in the ridiculous security theater, traffic etc. and it is easier to watch on the big screen at home.

Haven't seen this question addressed yet:

How do you let a QB who didn't even start due to a bad ankle spend so much time in the backfield? Why do you not blitz, blitz, stunt, blitz and then blitz again. Let him run. MAKE him run.

Oh there will be staff changes at a minimum. Saturday assured that. Gary Bernardi's deal is up in June. DJ Eliot has a year left on his deal, and he hasn't done a ****ing thing to warrant getting an extension.

I want a coach who will give one of those pressers after a bad loss that goes like "We stunk. I stunk. Coaches stunk. Players stunk. I thought we were ready to play. I was wrong. Players think they're better than they are. We're going back to work and this week is going to determine who wants to be a winner and who needs to see the door."

Like Willie Taggert just did when his FSU team got smoked by Clemson.

That loss really sucked, but I'm off the ledge now. I feel like we can fix a lot of the issues with the team, and if Montez stays, we're going to look really great next year. If not, we'll still have some talent at QB and some transfer options I imagine.

That loss really sucked, but I'm off the ledge now. I feel like we can fix a lot of the issues with the team, and if Montez stays, we're going to look really great next year. If not, we'll still have some talent at QB and some transfer options I imagine.

Define "really great." MM just throw out random superlatives when anything goes wrong.

Oh there will be staff changes at a minimum. Saturday assured that. Gary Bernardi's deal is up in June. DJ Eliot has a year left on his deal, and he hasn't done a ****ing thing to warrant getting an extension.
In my opinion DJ Elliott has been a very good DC this year. Granted, I was driving during the second half of the OSU game, so i don't know what the hell happened there, but the 2nd half adjustments he's made throughout the year have been nothing short of amazing. I was definitely not high on him before this year, but he has shown us all what he is capable of the first 7 games of the year.

In my opinion DJ Elliott has been a very good DC this year. Granted, I was driving during the second half of the OSU game, so i don't know what the hell happened there, but the 2nd half adjustments he's made throughout the year have been nothing short of amazing. I was definitely not high on him before this year, but he has shown us all what he is capable of the first 7 games of the year.
The 2d H performance by CU D was as bad as I have seen. That being said, DJ has had the D paying reasonably well across the board in the other 15 halves of FB played this year.

I’ve stepped back from the ledge. I went pretty fast through all phases of grief and hit acceptance after a few hours.

We are what we are. I expect we will win one or two games out of the remaining four. MM will stick around, and we will be a perpetual 6-8 win team with a few unmitigated disasters thrown in from time to time. But we will also get a few gems like the NU game as well.

Not quite what I would hope for. I think we can do better. I also think that right now, it just doesn’t make financial sense to make a coaching change. It’s an expensive thing to fire a coach and hire a new one, and you never know exactly what the new guy will do. Better the devil you know than the devil you don’t.Talk to me in December 2019 and my tune could very well change.

Fair, but need to get to 7-5 I think. Sense of urgency needs to stay on this team and staff. No excuse for gagging a game like the one we did the other day.

Last edited:
He made the program respectable, approaching average at 4-5 conf wins.

Peter Principle reached.

He has 14 conference wins in 5+ years. That is not 4-5. Take out the 2016 season and you have 6 wins in 4+ years. The 2016 season was great but is that really what MM gets you. It looks to me that 3 conference wins is what you get. If you load your OOC schedule with weak teams you can get to a bowl game once in awhile.

I also think that right now, it just doesn’t make financial sense to make a coaching change. It’s an expensive thing to fire a coach and hire a new one, and you never know exactly what the new guy will do. Better the devil you know than the devil you don’t.Talk to me in December 2019 and my tune could very well change.
So as of now, you are...not sure?

My gosh you guys are forgiving. Someone needs to be fired today. That was a home game disaster. A message needs to be sent to recruits, team and fans that this sort of performance is not what the AD wants or expects. OSU is a very bad team and this staff let them overcome a historic deficit. The AD should not pay millions to set negative historic precedents! It’s insane!

My gosh you guys are forgiving. Someone needs to be fired today. That was a home game disaster. A message needs to be sent to recruits, team and fans that this sort of performance is not what the AD wants or expects. OSU is a very bad team and this staff let them overcome a historic deficit. The AD should not pay millions to set negative historic precedents! It’s insane!
You are right...fire DiStephano.

In contrast here is Calhoun at AF and what he has done with his limited recruiting

2007Air Force9–46–22ndL Armed Forces
2008Air Force8–55–34thL Armed Forces
2009Air Force8–55–34thW Armed Forces
2010Air Force9–45–3T–3rdW Independence
2011Air Force7–63–45thL Military
2012Air Force6–75–34thL Armed Forces
2013Air Force2–100–86th (Mountain)
2014Air Force10–35–34th (Mountain)W Famous Idaho Potato
2015Air Force8–66–21st (Mountain)L Armed Forces
2016Air Force10–35–3T–4th (Mountain)W Arizona
2017Air Force5–74–4T–4th (Mountain)
2018Air Force3–51–4(Mountain)
Air Force:85–6550–43
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

He's coaching for his job this month.

Haven't seen this question addressed yet:

How do you let a QB who didn't even start due to a bad ankle spend so much time in the backfield? Why do you not blitz, blitz, stunt, blitz and then blitz again. Let him run. MAKE him run.

I’ll address it. We blitzed and sold out far too much. Not too little. The vet qb got the ball out quicker than the guy we sacked a billion times. He made good reads. And they attacked our weakness at corner. Our corners can’t cover man and they especially can’t do it against bigger more physical receivers. Our failure to adjust on defense when they put the new qb in was a deciding factor in the loss.

Next question.

Completely False. MM completed a solid rebuild of Colorado after the complete destruction of the program. Culminating in a PAC 12 South title and 10 win season.
However he is in incompetent when it comes to sustaining and taking an established program to the next level.
i'm just curious, what exactly is the definition of a "solid rebuild" and what exactly is the definition of "taking an established program to the next level."?

i'm just curious, what exactly is the definition of a "solid rebuild" and what exactly is the definition of "taking an established program to the next level."?
Good questions. To me...

1) solid rebuild means you have a foundation for 2-deep across the board, some holes plugged occasionally with JC or graduate transfer help. You staff is experienced across the board. You have seasoned coordinators. And everybody on the staff can recruit, including and especially the position coaches. And the HC can close. Additionally, the HC has several signature wins, preferably over ranked teams, with minimized travesty losses.

2) Takinh to the next level can easily be defined in last year’s Three Year Strategic Athletics Plan.

That’s my $0.02.

MM had built a respectable, below average (4-5 conf wins) program. He does not have the leadership or sense of urgency to take it to the next level.

Period.

Back