What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Other Games Thread September 1-4 (warning, big weekend, it's a long one)

MtnBuff

Not allowed in Barzil 2
Club Member
Get the recliner positioned, fill the fridge with beer (not that nasty IPA stuff,) get the snacks ready and settle in for a great weekend. College football is back and we have multiple days of choices to pick from giving us some very big matchups and a few that are so bad they smell almost as bad as a hot day on Interstate 80.

This week’s fun starts tonight with FBS Jacksonville State hosting G5 Alabama Birmingham which should be FBS.

Thursday has a slate of games almost as big as Saturdays. Mostly who cares schools with a few notable exceptions.

Best game of the night and a great way to get the first real weekend of the season started gives us (4) Ohio State visiting what could be a solid Minnesota team. Could first game struggles set up an upset or at least keep the game within the 14.5 point point spread?

In what could be a very significant game G5 powers meet with Boise visiting Central Florida. These are both programs that regularly have hopes of getting the G5 New Years bowl berth. As a bonus it’s in Florida so we don’t have to burn our eyes with the Smurf turf.

Ranked PAC12 teams play what should be glorified scrimmages. AirheadZona State (25) host Southern Utah (0-1) which has already been blown out by Fresno and Utah (24) brings in Weber State for the slaughter. If either struggles they should be very concerned.

If you like bad football you can watch two of the worst programs in college football battle it out. Rutgers brings in Temple hoping to put an easy win on what will still end up as a bad record. How bad is Temple? Rutgers is favored by two TDs.

Friday our Buffs open but that is far from the only game

Virginia Tech host North Carolina (10) this one should give Hokie fans an idea of what this season is going to bring.

Also Kansas fans may not want to miss their best chance this year for a win. If they manage to lose to a middle of the road FCS South Dakota team they might just want to give up on football.

Can Midnight Mel match Frosty and the fuskers with a season opening B1G loss. The Nasty Nassers from MSU travel to Northwestern.

Saturday doesn’t lack for interesting games as well.

The best one with playoff implications already is Georgia (5) at Clemson (3). Two programs which have lost a lot of talent to the NFL but keep bringing it in to reload. Biggest question is what will Clemson look like without Trevor Lawrence.

Is Miami (14) ready to rejoin the elite programs? They will get a good indication visiting (1) Alabama.

The Big 10 gets off to a huge start. In addition to the earlier mentioned Ohio State game they give us Pedo State (19) visiting Wisconsin (12) and Indiana (17) at Iowa (18.)

When does Texas (21) do it’s annual collapse? They are ranked but play Louisiana (23) which is one of the best G5 schools and the kind of team that Texas has fallen to before.

PAC12 action gets underway with UCLA (1-0) hosting LSU (16.) This is the kind of game that the conference needs to win to regain national respect.

For the schools we love to hate after embarrassing themselves (as usual) the fuskers actually have a game they should win against mighty Fordham. If they manage to lose this one there might not be a real estate sign left in the state that isn’t in Frostie’s front yard.
Who would have thought that in his fourth season a win over FCS Fordham would be one of his top 15 wins.

Locally the MWC schools all open against what should be easy wins against lower division opponents.

CSU starts Friday with the Jackrabbits of South Dakota State, Wyoming brings in Montana State, and Air Force has the mighty Lafayette Leopards.

For the smaller schools we all know who UNC plays this week.

As if you didn’t have enough to keep your attention the local D2 schools have some outstanding games to start their seasons.

A Thursday trip to Pueblo would be worth your time with CSU-Pueblo hosting traditional D2 power Texas A&M Commerce (no not Commerce City)
Mesa is bringing William Jewell College into Grand Junction and Mines welcomes Western Oregon to Golden on Thursday as well.

UAB leading JSU 24-0. I never believed JSU would be a threat to the Blazers tonight for two reasons: opening UAB's new stadium and JSU's starting QB blew out his knee deep in the FCS playoffs this spring.

I think Tech is going to get mudholed.

I really hope I'm wrong.

I actually kind of like their chances against UNC. Not all that sold on the tar heels with all the talent they lost and Lane should be rocking. Plus those all orange uni's could be the difference!

UAB leading JSU 24-0. I never believed JSU would be a threat to the Blazers tonight for two reasons: opening UAB's new stadium and JSU's starting QB blew out his knee deep in the FCS playoffs this spring.

LOL of course allbuffs' resident FCS expert is watching that game.

Miami is going to get blown out this week, but will be MUCH better in December IMO.
I think you are right.

It isn't quite like the old days yet but Miami is starting to accumulate talent again, and by talent I mean that fast Florida talent that can blow up opponents game plans.

I'll be honest, if I walk through the golf course at the Rose Bowl and no one offers me some gumbo or Jambalaya I'll be very disappointed.
when LSU played at VT, three LSU RVs arrived on the Tuesday before a Saturday game, and tailgated in the student commuter lot for four days. I was impressed.

For conference pride, I'd like to see UCLA win, but if they do I'm going to be genuinely worried that Chip Kelly is actually going to accomplish something there.
Thumbs up for second part of sentence.
Still not sure I can root for them even if it is LSU.

Ohio State plays at Minnesota tonight at 6:00 pm and it will be on FOX. A first look at who CU will be playing in about two weeks. Ohio State is a 14 point favorite with the O/U at 62.5.

The big one is Boise State @ UCF and has the higest O/U at 68 for tonight. If that's not for you, East Carolina vs App State (game is in Charlotte) might be a good one. App State is 10 point favorite & O/U is 55.5.

That EWU-UNLV game now has UNLV as a 1.5 favorite and O/U at 67. Game is on Stadium.

I'm going to watch Citadel @ Coastal Carolina perhaps for a half just to see how CCU replaces Marble at RB and I just love option football.

Last edited:
Ohio State plays at Minnesota tonight at 6:00 pm and it will be on FOX. A first look at who CU will be playing in about two weeks.
Minn’s strength is their run game. Great TB and experienced OL. Game in two weeks will be old-school, smash mouth and will likely come down to which defense can stop the run.

Minn’s strength is their run game. Great TB and experienced OL. Game in two weeks will be old-school, smash mouth and will likely come down to which defense can stop the run.

At the traditional B1G time slot of 11:00 AM nonetheless.

I haven't looked at the rest of the season, but for week 1, so glad to have big games on Thursdays again. Last few years of Thursday CFB games were not very interesting.

I haven't looked at the full season schedule either but unfortunately I'm guessing that the rest of the season will be lacking for P5/big G5 games with the NFL playing every Thursday starting next week.

Last edited:
I want Minnesota to win. Check than, I want OSU to lose. But I don’t want Minnesota to be good. I’m conflicted.

I'll be at the Rose Bowl backing the Pac and the Bruins against LSU. It will be my first time seeing an SEC team and their traveling fans in person. Hoping for a good one and a Pac 12 win.

Will there be more LSU fans than UCLA fans at this one? I'm kidding, sort of - a couple years ago it looked like OU had about as many fans there as UCLA

Back