What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Other Games Thread September 1-4 (warning, big weekend, it's a long one)

Fully agree with complaints about Joe. Can’t stand him.

That's my biggest pet peeve about sports broadcasts.

Emotional human interest stories are great at making the game more engaging. But only up to a point. All too often, it becomes so much focus, repetition and pull always to shots of a family member in the crowd that it distracts from the actual game.

Last night I thought I was watching a great football game that got even more interesting with Milton's comeback. Then it turned into a melodrama with those broadcasting it treating the plays as cutaway filler that disrupted the narrative.

Emotional human interest stories are great at making the game more engaging. But only up to a point. All too often, it becomes so much focus, repetition and pull always to shots of a family member in the crowd that it distracts from the actual game.

Last night I thought I was watching a great football game that got even more interesting with Milton's comeback. Then it turned into a melodrama with those broadcasting it treating the plays as cutaway filler that disrupted the narrative.
Last night was a great example of what you are saying.

When the game is a 35 point blowout by the 3rd quarter they need those human interest stories to try to keep viewers interested.

Last night that wasn't needed and was instead a distraction. The story was and should have been a great game with lots of on field drama, big plays, and a tense ending.

Milton's comeback should have been noted but the repetition and focus could have been better saved for another game that didn't have it's own storyline to follow.

Agree. This same obsession with human interest stories is one of the things that has also made watching the Olympics unbearable.

Last night was a great example of what you are saying.

When the game is a 35 point blowout by the 3rd quarter they need those human interest stories to try to keep viewers interested.

Last night that wasn't needed and was instead a distraction. The story was and should have been a great game with lots of on field drama, big plays, and a tense ending.

Milton's comeback should have been noted but the repetition and focus could have been better saved for another game that didn't have it's own storyline to follow.
For me, it's more than that. Like every Iowa basketball game I watched - there was constant camera time given to Luka Garza's dad in the stands. Saw him more than Iowa's HC. Why? Does anyone here like that stuff to that degree when watching a game?

I think the "narrative" is mostly an American thing.

kelly is a douche. McKay was responding to a question - 'what do you think about the execution of your offense?' 'I'm in favor of it.' Douche kelly didn't even approximate it. He wasn't funny or clever.
I mean, I watched the clip of it. Poor execution sure, but it seems like you were offended by it. He’s just attempting humor, doesn’t make him a douche because he failed epically lol

Seemed to happen quite a bit for Christian Eriksen at the Euros. But then again, I only saw the American coverage. Maybe the European coverage didn't emphasize it as much.

I think that especially in college football with GameDay and so on ESPN in particular always looks for a narrative and heartwarming story even if there isn't one.

I think when a guy nearly dies on the pitch it's okay to emphasise it.

I saw kelly in a roundtable discussion with Steph & Dell Curry and Vince Carter. Steph is very impressive - intelligence and depth of understanding of the social order - kelly is a douche.

I like you guys against Minnesota without Ibrahim. There are lots of RBs out there who can put up big, gaudy stats, and I don't think Colorado will have many games this year where Broussard isn't the best RB on the field, but Ibrahim was a different sort of animal. Gophers won't be the same.

Ole Miss can end up being pretty good if their defense continues to play at least decent like they did last night
I'm trying to decide how I feel about running a 3-2-6 base. Works great for ISU with all the passing offenses in the B12. But I'd think that it's going to get abused in the SEC (bad for B1G, too).

For me, it's more than that. Like every Iowa basketball game I watched - there was constant camera time given to Luka Garza's dad in the stands. Saw him more than Iowa's HC. Why? Does anyone here like that stuff to that degree when watching a game?

A long time ago Rhode Island basketball had a star player named Tom Garrick who's father was blind. TV must have shown the father 20 times per game.

Back