What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Other Games - Week 1 - FIVE STRAIGHT DAYS OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL

That sh!tcan will come in real handy if Botch Jones doesn't deliver a bowl game this year.
He can hide in it as he leaves town.
latest

Did not realize till just now unlv got knocked off by howard. who the hell is howard? and was it the D side of the ball that allowed a 45 point underdog to win? good old D coordinator Kent Baer. Then again, howard does have a Bison as a mascot.

Did not realize till just now unlv got knocked off by howard. who the hell is howard? and was it the D side of the ball that allowed a 45 point underdog to win? good old D coordinator Kent Baer. Then again, howard does have a Bison as a mascot.
Howard = one of the traditionally black colleges. Located in DC. Mascot = Bison (chosen in honor of the Buffalo soldiers). Colors = black and gold. They're an easy local FCS team for a CU alum in the DC area to cheer for.

I've often thought that if Ralphie were to ever make a run for a CU -Navy or MD game, that they should try and coordinate and have her run at a Howard home game that same weekend. I know, not going to happen for a lot of reasons...

The UNLV loss should really be a warning to anybody who thinks hiring a High School head coach to run a D-1 program is a good idea. This guy coached Bishop Gorman- arguably the most successful high school program in the country. Two years into his UNLV gig and he just gave up the most lopsided upset in college football history.
We now have Tony Sanchez and Gerry Faust as shining examples of why you NEVER hire a HS coach to run a D-1 program. Hire as an assistant? Sure. As the head coach? Only if you have a death wish as an athletic director.

Howard = one of the traditionally black colleges. Located in DC. Mascot = Bison (chosen in honor of the Buffalo soldiers). Colors = black and gold. They're an easy local FCS team for a CU alum in the DC area to cheer for.

I've often thought that if Ralphie were to ever make a run for a CU -Navy or MD game, that they should try and coordinate and have her run at a Howard home game that same weekend. I know, not going to happen for a lot of reasons...
Really good school, too. No reason for CU not to do something with Howard.

Really good school, too. No reason for CU not to do something with Howard.
If we ever play in the armed forces bowl, there's going to be some low hanging fruit for doing some fun stuff with them.

Most of that Howard game was Baer not realizing C. Newton was not the former Heisman winner, he spent most of fall camp preparing for the Carolina Panthers QB. It was actually a genius game-plan and I recommend the Patriots hire him immediately.

Pressure is going to be on Sumlin. One thing that eases it a little bit is that Texas isn't doing well either.

aTm fans hate to hear this but they measure themselves against Texas. As long as the Horns are struggling they can say "At least we aren't Texas."

Eventually though, Texas or no, Sumlin is going to have to produce results. The Aggies put to much money into that program to be happy with being .500 in the league and going to lower level bowls. They believe they are an upper tier program and want that kind of results.

This post would have made sense about five years ago. In 2017, it basically ignores all context.

The UNLV loss should really be a warning to anybody who thinks hiring a High School head coach to run a D-1 program is a good idea. This guy coached Bishop Gorman- arguably the most successful high school program in the country. Two years into his UNLV gig and he just gave up the most lopsided upset in college football history.
We now have Tony Sanchez and Gerry Faust as shining examples of why you NEVER hire a HS coach to run a D-1 program. Hire as an assistant? Sure. As the head coach? Only if you have a death wish as an athletic director.
giphy.gif

So you are saying that Dave Logan isn't our best option as head coach of the University of Colorado.

Actually you are right on point. Can anybody give an example of a HS coach who has successfully made the transition in modern times from HS directly to leading a major program.

The job of a head coach at the college level is much less about football than it is about supervising and motivating people, both players and assistants. Guys like Jimmy Johnson has stated that the football knowledge was probably the least important part of their jobs.

Art Briles but not straight to head coach, believe he was an assistant at Tech a few years. Direct to HC, I don't have one.

Gary Barnett and Art Briles are the closest I've got, but they both had stops between HS HC and D1 HC.

Art Briles is a legend in Texas HS football, of course, who only was 4 years removed from HS football when he took over Houston.

In recent memory, Gus Malzahn is another one of the closest in time from HS coach/BCS level HC and certainly one of the more successful. 7 year timeline.

My high school had a HC back in the day named Emory Ballard. He took his wishbone offense to Texas then was a somewhat successful HC at aTm.

Howard was led by Cam's little brother. He threw for three TDs and rushed for 190 yards.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/09/cam_newton_georgia_missed_out.html

Cam: "Georgia missed out on another one."

Anybody else get the feeling that Riley is going to wish he had gone anywhere but Nebraska.

The fans and the boosters want to believe this is still the 90's, that Nebraska is a perennial contender for the NC, that they are the dream school for top recruits nationwide.

Instead they are in over their head in the B1G, they have lost much of their appeal to recruits, especially since they no longer regularly play in Texas and Oklahoma where recruits families can see them every year.

Remember when they fired Solich after he won 9 games, they are going to be dreaming of winning 9 games in the future, even with scheduling a couple cupcakes in OOC each year like Arkansas State was supposed to be.

It's funny because it's a simple explanation to any rational fan. It was week 1, against a decent opponent, after losing their #1 CB for most of the year, and they just transitioned to a 3-4 and have several guys who don't fit the new scheme.

But Nebraska fans expect 10 wins and a top 25 defense in year 1 (I'm not exaggerating, this is what they expect). Diaco has a ton of pressure on him to succeed because they paid him good money. The funny thing is, UCONN's board laughed at the Huskers fans complaints: he's known for playing his DBs well off the LOS, doesn't utilize the crazy blitzes he talks about in the spring, "bend but don't break" but breaks quite a bit too, etc. I will enjoy watching them struggle to win 7 this year ^_^

Back