What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Other games weekend of 9/19-9/21

That's traditionally been Wisconsin's problem when playing top tier programs. Their defense is legit, though, and I can't see Michigan scoring a ton. I could definitely see 13-10 or 17-14 kind of game.
And the complaint of the Michigan fans is that Harbaugh has lost those types of games against ranked competition.

At some point you would think the odds would even out and he would win one on some kind of break but so far his record against ranked B1G opponents isn't good.

Harbaugh has them averaging like 9.5 wins/season, which 90% of college programs would gladly take, but he also hasn't won the BIG or beaten tOSU. That doesn't fly for a blue blood like Michigan.

Michigan is not a blue blood program. They have been about as competitive as Iowa in the BIG since 2004. They have not been a “blue blood” for nearly a generation.

I think I'm going to have to watch Michigan-Wisconsin tomorrow...that could somewhat determine the fate of Coach Khaki Pants.

Michigan is not a blue blood program. They have been about as competitive as Iowa in the BIG since 2004. They have not been a “blue blood” for nearly a generation.
Michigan is the winningest college football program of all time. They are a blue blood and always will be.
From a standpoint of resources and expectations Michigan is a blue blood. They seat 107,000 and sell out. They have a massive donor base. They have a history. They are popular enough that you know they are going to get at least one or two national ABC games a year.

Their results in recent years haven't been at the top of their conference but most schools would be happy with them. This is the whole point on them being less than happy with Harbaugh. They expect at least the Rose Bowl each year, less than that is a failure.

College football blue bloods are an interesting topic because success tends to be cyclical. I think you could name a number of schools that would be considered blue blood programs despite not "dominating" their leagues recently or competing for NCs.

Texas, Oklahoma, USC, ND, would be examples.

I love Taylor. I’m not sold they can run on Michigan, however. If not, they don’t have enough explosion on the outside or at QB.

I think Macaffrey gets snaps.
Wisconsin’s o-line never really has issues running the ball. Like you said the receivers and QB aren’t good enough to win without it but I don’t see them having an issue at all running the ball in the B1G

The winningest program in college football history isn’t a blue blood program?

That’s a bold statement.

Ok, Michigan isn't a blue blood. Hmm, yeah, ok. They suck so bad their stadium seats a small city. Go to rehab bro, it'll help.

The main diss against MIchigan is that it's such a blue blood it lacks killer instinct and it's fan base is so old that it is quiet. It's a blue blood.

Also, **** Michigan with a rusty trombone.

Wait, you're in a quarters look, and that happens??? That's embarrassing. Sometimes, I don't know whether these youngsters want to scratch their watch or wind their butt.

Tulane, which has a long history of not winning much, was down 28-7 in the first half then came back.

Going to take a lot for the rest of the weekend to match this game.

If you're saying this about Michigan (I disagree with you), I can't wait to see what you say about Fusker.

I have watched UH 3 times now. That may be one of the best 1-4 teams out there. They have some serious speed. That #5 can fly.

This must be semantics with an alternate definition of “blue blood” being invented.

The quick litmus test I think could be used for “blue blood” would be “is the program historically elite and still on the level where a top 10 recruiting class wouldn’t be a big surprise?”

On that measure, Michigan is undoubtedly a blue blood. Miami is. Texas is. USC is. Programs like Nebraska and Tennessee have slipped from that status but are close enough that they could get back with a breakthrough season. Programs like Army, Michigan State, Minnesota and Georgia Tech have lost that status to history.

This must be semantics with an alternate definition of “blue blood” being invented.

The quick litmus test I think could be used for “blue blood” would be “is the program historically elite and still on the level where a top 10 recruiting class wouldn’t be a big surprise?”

On that measure, Michigan is undoubtedly a blue blood. Miami is. Texas is. USC is. Programs like ****braska and Tennessee have slipped from that status but are close enough that they could get back with a breakthrough season. Programs like Army, Michigan State, Minnesota and Georgia Tech have lost that status to history.
Another way to look at it is when the program extends an offer to a typical HS recruit anywhere in the country does that kid likely pay attention. Even in the years they were down by their standards when they offered a kid it got attention locally.

This would match the schools you mentioned as both included and not included. (Although I might disagree with Miami right now and put them in the close category.

Miami slipped IMO and that is a good 15 years after joining the ACC. I still see Nebraska as a blue blood but if they don't get going under Frost, they will no longer be considered a blue blood just like Miami.

Miami slipped IMO and that is a good 15 years after joining the ACC. I still see ****braska as a blue blood but if they don't get going under Frost, they will no longer be considered a blue blood just like Miami.
Their fans are in denial but the fuskers aren't a blue blood now. Outside of the cult they don't move the needle with fans, look at how their game gets the bad time slot on B1G. That doesn't happen to blue bloods.

Moreso getting an offer from them doesn't get kids excited, they are competing for recruits with us and schools like Texas Tech and Illinois. When those same kids get offers from Michigan, Texas, USC, chances are they stop considering the fuskers.

Another consideration is do coaches dream of coaching there. A school like Michigan gets a guy from another major program, kNU has to give a huge guarantee to a former player who comes from a G5 school after being turned down by multiple coaches in their prior searches.

Their fans are in denial but the fuskers aren't a blue blood now. Outside of the cult they don't move the needle with fans, look at how their game gets the bad time slot on B1G. That doesn't happen to blue bloods.

Moreso getting an offer from them doesn't get kids excited, they are competing for recruits with us and schools like Texas Tech and Illinois. When those same kids get offers from Michigan, Texas, USC, chances are they stop considering the fuskers.

Another consideration is do coaches dream of coaching there. A school like Michigan gets a guy from another major program, kNU has to give a huge guarantee to a former player who comes from a G5 school after being turned down by multiple coaches in their prior searches.

Blame it on 62-36...LOL!

I think 2021 would be a good time to re-evaulate the Husker program since they will be also playing Oklahoma in addition to those blue bloods in the B1G. They do have the resources to be a blue blood but that label is fading away big time...they are hanging on a thread with me.

On that measure, Michigan is undoubtedly a blue blood. Miami is. Texas is. USC is. Programs like ****braska and Tennessee have slipped from that status but are close enough that they could get back with a breakthrough season. Programs like Army, Michigan State, Minnesota and Georgia Tech have lost that status to history.
When discussing Nebraska, I would say they have blue "something" and it aint blood.

Back