What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Other games weekend of 9/7-9/9

Also, can we talk about what an epic failure it is for college football not to have a centralized scheduling department? Having Auburn/Clemson, SC/Stanford, UGA/ND and OU/tOSU all on at the same time, while the early games were total garbage is a complete failure.

Also, can we talk about what an epic failure it is for college football not to have a centralized scheduling department? Having Auburn/Clemson, SC/Stanford, UGA/ND and OU/tOSU all on at the same time, while the early games were total garbage is a complete failure.
$$$

I wonder if the primetime $$ are really worth splitting it 4 ways vs staggering them throughout the day? I don't know enough to be able to answer that question. We do know Disney believes this strongly enough to put their best two games on ESPN & ABC at night against each other, so that might answer the question right there.

I wonder if the primetime $$ are really worth splitting it 4 ways vs staggering them throughout the day? I don't know enough to be able to answer that question. We do know Disney believes this strongly enough to put their best two games on ESPN & ABC at night against each other, so that might answer the question right there.
Well, they can somewhat corner the market by doing that.

What do you mean? How is having competing prime matchups good for any of the networks? The NFL is the money making and marketing juggernaut in sports and they would never allow that to happen.
The NFL only has two networks though, CFB has what 5? So they always bid for games and then put their best game on during prime time, the schools get their money and have no say. I agree they should look at staggering but that is all solved in 2 weeks when conference play starts.

I mostly watched USC/Stanford and Oklahoma/OSU, what does everyone think about Clemson? Schedule looks pretty favorable for them, but I wonder if they'll just get demolished once they hit the playoffs.

Yeah it doesn't make sense to me but it is only an issue for the next two weeks.

The NFL only has two networks though, CFB has what 5? So they always bid for games and then put their best game on during prime time, the schools get their money and have no say. I agree they should look at staggering but that is all solved in 2 weeks when conference play starts.
NFL has games on Fox, CBS, ESPN, NBC and NFLN each week. They typically put the best matchups on ESPN and NBC for the prime time viewing and then work with CBS and Fox to determine the national broadcasting of the next best matchups.

The last thing I want is college football to be more like the NFL. The NFL product is the same thing every week. It's boring and stale. I rarely watch anything but the Broncos. College football is unpredictable and you can have unique, great matchups throughout the season. I understand the college football landscape may be moving this way, but it's gonna suck if schools are all under the same, NFL-like, umbrella. Too manufactured. Too boring. Too packaged.

NFL has games on Fox, CBS, ESPN, NBC and NFLN each week. They typically put the best matchups on ESPN and NBC for the prime time viewing and then work with CBS and Fox to determine the national broadcasting of the next best matchups.
NFL has two competing networks, cbs and fox, thats it. Espn and NBC play games while none others do.

The last thing I want is college football to be more like the NFL. The NFL product is the same thing every week. It's boring and stale. I rarely watch anything but the Broncos. College football is unpredictable and you can have unique, great matchups throughout the season. I understand the college football landscape may be moving this way, but it's gonna suck if schools are all under the same, NFL-like, umbrella. Too manufactured. Too boring. Too packaged.
There is this thing called bovada, it makes the NFL way more interesting.

What does that have to do with trying to follow the NFL TV model? Trying to make it so people get to see more of the good college football.

I mostly watched USC/Stanford and Oklahoma/OSU, what does everyone think about Clemson? Schedule looks pretty favorable for them, but I wonder if they'll just get demolished once they hit the playoffs.

I actually think they could be very dangerous come November/December.

And the NFL has purposely made it that way because there is zero sense in competing for viewership on prime time matchups
Yeah but unfortunately (or fortunately , I'm not sure) college football is like 6 nfl's. We have been talking about more of a collective effort in the realignment thread but the people running these conferences don't care about that at this moment.

You've got 65 P5 teams (including ND, grudgingly including ND...)

That means twice the content than the NFL to find a place for throughout the day/week. I sort of get that means it is a given 2 big games will be on, but 4 is crazy for us as fans.

What does that have to do with trying to follow the NFL TV model? Trying to make it so people get to see more of the good college football.
I was just inferring from your post that you wanted more cooperation from all universities/conferences/tv for scheduling/time purposes. I took it a step further than you were probably meaning with my fear that would send us down an NFL-like path.

However, I like a bunch of good matchups at once. I don't really want to watch the whole game anyway so I can flip back and forth. I thought last night was fun. But, I recognize that's probably not ideal for TV revenue.

The Sooners just became one of the most hated teams outside of the Big 10 for OSU fan.

Is it bad that I liked him doing that?

Probably just my hatred for Urb coming through.

If someone did that to Ralphie, I'd probably be pissed.
I think Ohio State did something like that last year at Oklahoma. I remember Mayfield saying that he was raging pissed about it.

Dawg is a Utah fan. However, many of his posts resemble an ASU application essay, so the confusion is understandable.
You're right! It was some clown named @TomServo who basically was flat wrong and is now eating Graham's toe jam. If he's listening, I wonder if he know can see that Graham's team he inherited from Ericksen and actually won with, was more talented than the team he can no longer win with?

Pac 12N talks up this being a QB conference. Kind of surprising which starters are (and aren't) at the top according to QB rating at this early point in the season

Comp/Attpt Yrd % TD/INT QBR

Odux Herbert 42/54 646 77.8% 4/1 199.0
UCLA Rosen 57/84 820 67.9% 9/0 185.2
ASU Wilkins 42/60 598 70.0% 4/0 175.7
UDub Browning 39/56 543 69.6% 4/1 171.1
USC Darnold 44/59 605 74.6% 4/4 169.5
Cal Bowers 44/66 563 66.7% 4/2 152.3
Stan Chryst 29/52 425 55.8% 4/0 149.8
Wazzou Falk 57/73 504 78.1% 3/1 146.9
CU Montez 40/60 501 66.7% 2/2 141.1
Utah Huntley 50/68 527 73.5% 1/1 140.5
OSU Luton 61/100 674 61.0% 4/4 122.8
UofA Dawkins 24/42 267 57.1% 1/0 118.4

Clemson has recruited very well the last few years and it's showing up in the trenches and on the defensive side of the ball across the board, so even with having to replace a player like Watson they still look formidable early on.

Their schedule actually isn't that easy starting next week at Louisville and they also have road games at VT, at NC State and at S. Carolina not to mention the home date with FSU

Cu and Clemson only NCAA teams to not give up a td thus far. Kinda cool.

Clemson vs Louisville. We'll learn a lot more about both programs soon.

If I had to make a prediction on playoffs today, it would be USC, OU, Bama and Louisville.

Back