What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Our Offenses #1 Weapon

Smith averaged 45 yards receiving per game in 2007, with zero touchdowns, and a bit over 30 yards receiving per game in 2008, to go along with 3 TD's.

Amongst his Big 12 brethren in 2008, he was not amongst the conference's top 12 receivers. (Admittedly, that figure is skewed by the offensive problems CU has had over his career)

Over his brief 22 game career at CU he has 838 receiving yards and 3 TD's.

You can say he has had separated shoulders, ruptured kidney, etc. Fact is, for the hype he has received by CU fans, he is overrated as a WR.

What hype? I haven't seen very much hype on him...much much more for Simas

Smith averaged 45 yards receiving per game in 2007, with zero touchdowns, and a bit over 30 yards receiving per game in 2008, to go along with 3 TD's.

Amongst his Big 12 brethren in 2008, he was not amongst the conference's top 12 receivers. (Admittedly, that figure is skewed by the offensive problems CU has had over his career)

You can say he has had separated shoulders, ruptured kidney, etc. Fact is, for the hype he has received by CU fans, he is overrated as a WR.

Answer me this - is he the best WR that has been at CU the last two seasons? Yes or no. If yes, then he can't possibly be overrated. If no, I'd like to know who you think was better.

He has not recieved a lot of hype. He has been more known as Darrell Scott's nephew that helped us land Scott more than he has been hyped as a WR. The man that was hyped the most in the same class as JFly, is Simas who hasn't even played yet.

Answer me this - is he the best WR that has been at CU the last two seasons? Yes or no. If yes, then he can't possibly be overrated. If no, I'd like to know who you think was better.

scotty could give him a running for that title.

For 2008 - Scotty McKnight was a much better wide receiver.

For 2007 - Scotty McKnight and Tyson Devree were both better receivers.

For 2008 - Scotty McKnight was a much better wide receiver.

For 2007 - Scotty McKnight and Tyson Devree were both better receivers.

Did it occur to you that McKnight and DeVree caught more balls because they were single-teamed and Josh Smith was double-teamed most of the last two years?

Do you just pull this cr@p out of your a$$ with salad tongs or do you pay a 14 year old 6th grader for your material?

McKnight is the better receiver because he actually understands route running. I'm amazed how much fans downgrade McKnight.

CU fans "hype" Josh Smith because he is the only thing even resembling a potential deep threat anywhere near our roster in years.

I think he will put it together and impress some of the naysayers.

Did it occur to you that McKnight and DeVree caught more balls because they were single-teamed and Josh Smith was double-teamed most of the last two years?

Do you just pull this cr@p out of your a$$ with salad tongs or do you pay a 14 year old 6th grader for your material?

Nobody double teamed Josh Smith last year. Claiming that teams did is pulling crap out of your ass.

Nobody double teamed Josh Smith last year. Claiming that teams did is pulling crap out of your ass.
Wow. Did you actually watch any of the games? To busy with your sooners?
He's obviously a very dangerous with the ball in his hands, and he's kinda fast. Why wouldn't you put an extra guy on him?

Oh that's right, Slade says he's a scrub. My bad.

I specifically remember WVU and FSU putting an extra man on Josh. He was the only receiving threat we had. Sure McKnight is a good receiver, but he doesn't have the ability to go for six every time he touches the ball.

Vs. FSU 7 catches for 85yds and 1 TD.
Vs. WVU
5 catches for 75 yards and 1TD

Not Crabtree-like numbers. But I don't think anyone was trying to say he was among the best receivers in the conference. But he's clearly the biggest receiving threat CU had last year.

I say we watch him play his Jr. and Sr. years before slapping the overrated label on Josh. But that's just my wacky opinion. :rolleyes:

Wow. Did you actually watch any of the games? To busy with your sooners?
He's obviously a very dangerous with the ball in his hands, and he's kinda fast. Why wouldn't you put an extra guy on him?

Oh that's right, Slade says he's a scrub. My bad.

Please find the post where I said he was a "scrub."

I specifically remember WVU and FSU putting an extra man on Josh. He was the only receiving threat we had. Sure McKnight is a good receiver, but he doesn't have the ability to go for six every time he touches the ball.

Vs. FSU 7 catches for 85yds and 1 TD.
Vs. WVU
5 catches for 75 yards and 1TD

Not Crabtree-like numbers. But I don't think anyone was trying to say he was among the best receivers in the conference. But he's clearly the biggest receiving threat CU had last year.

I say we watch him play his Jr. and Sr. years before slapping the overrated label on Josh. But that's just my wacky opinion. :rolleyes:

Really? How about I get an opinion, too. My opinion is, he's overrated.
:thumbsup:

Debatable in both cases, and Devree is a TE, not a WR.

Debatable? Really?

McKnight - 46 catches, 519 yards, 5 TD's, 9 catches of 20+ yards.
Scott - 29 catches, 387 yards, 3 TD's, 6 catches of 20+ yards.

McKnight - 43 catches, 488 yards, 4 TD's, 7 catches of 20+ yards.
Devree - 28 catches, 308 yards, 6 TD's, 3 catches of 20+ yards.
Smith - 23 catches, 451 yards, 0 TD's, 9 catches of 20+ yards.

In 2008 and 2007 there's no question who the best WR on the team was - it wasn't Josh Smith.

He still has a lot of time to turn into a very good receiver.

Over-rated is the wrong word because he came in without much in ratings.

Underachieved is the right word. Not based on early expectations, but based on glimmers of amazing talent we've seen at times. Hey, we think he can do more, based on those nuggets. Some of it's the system and some of it appears to be maturity. Josh isn't yet the WR he can become, I'm sure. He has some amazing talent in there, and the Buffs need to find a way to get to it, and certainly part of that equation is Josh himself stepping up.

Debatable? Really?

McKnight - 46 catches, 519 yards, 5 TD's, 9 catches of 20+ yards.
Scott - 29 catches, 387 yards, 3 TD's, 6 catches of 20+ yards.

McKnight - 43 catches, 488 yards, 4 TD's, 7 catches of 20+ yards.
Devree - 28 catches, 308 yards, 6 TD's, 3 catches of 20+ yards.
Smith - 23 catches, 451 yards, 0 TD's, 9 catches of 20+ yards.

In 2008 and 2007 there's no question who the best WR on the team was - it wasn't Josh Smith.

He still has a lot of time to turn into a very good receiver.

Yes. Debatable. Scotty is a good receiver, but doesn't have the speed that Smith has. That part is not debatable. When Smith gets double teamed, Scotty gets open and he gets the ball more often. Plus, the routes McKnight runs are different in nature than the ones Smith runs - by design. They're different receivers with different skill sets. Both are good. Smith is more of a home-run threat. McKnight is more of a possession receiver. That's where the debate comes in. We can go at this all day if you'd like. That's called a debate.

Smith has the potential to be the best receiver on the team, but McKnight has been better the last two seasons IMO. It cracks me up, even in this thread, people can only say stuff like "McKnight is solid, but..."

Smith has the potential to be the best receiver on the team, but McKnight has been better the last two seasons IMO. It cracks me up, even in this thread, people can only say stuff like "McKnight is solid, but..."

McKnight is the Joel Klatt of WR's. I love the kid, but he's not a top level Big 12 receiver. He is a good contributor to the offense, and has produced well over the last two years. I'm glad he plays for us.

McKnight is the Joel Klatt of WR's. I love the kid, but he's not a top level Big 12 receiver. He is a good contributor to the offense, and has produced well over the last two years. I'm glad he plays for us.

Well yeah, we don't currently have any top level Big 12 receivers. I'm not necessarily saying it is a good sign that McKnight has had the best production the past couple seasons, but he has stepped up. I would also argue that McKnight has had pretty good production for a guy playing out of position for the most part. He is an ideal slot receiver that has been playing wideout for the most part.

Well yeah, we don't currently have any top level Big 12 receivers. I'm not necessarily saying it is a good sign that McKnight has had the best production the past couple seasons, but he has stepped up. I would also argue that McKnight has had pretty good production for a guy playing out of position for the most part. He is an ideal slot receiver that has been playing wideout for the most part.

I think McKnight, in concert with Smith, Simas and Simmons will make a very solid receiving corps. Throw Darden, Ussery, and Clemons into the mix and we will have a top level Big 12 receiving corps in 2010.

Really? How about I get an opinion, too. My opinion is, he's overrated.
:thumbsup:

I believe you said he was the most overrated CU WR evar (notice 13 year girl spelling of ever). Nice try captain hyperbole.

You got called out for that comment, if you had said "on the roster" then you would not have caught the heat you did.

Ever hear of Blake Mackey? The 4 star WR that had one good game against NU and was then the second coming of Michael Westbrook. Now that's overrated.

I believe you said he was the most overrated CU WR evar (notice 13 year girl spelling of ever). Nice try captain hyperbole.

You got called out for that comment, if you had said "on the roster" then you would not have caught the heat you did.

Ever hear of Blake Mackey? The 4 star WR that had one good game against NU and was then the second coming of Michael Westbrook. Now that's overrated.

I do remember Blake Mackey. But I do not remember ever seeing anyone call him the Buffs #1 offensive weapon. I could be wrong.

For the hype CU fans have given him, Josh Smith has not yet performed. Maybe he will prove me wrong this season and next.

Back