What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Our Offenses #1 Weapon

Maybe it's just me, but I haven't seen all this hype from CU fans you are talking about.

Most discussions about Josh sound the same - lot's of talent, could be very good if he was more consistent and eliminated the mental errors. That doesn't sound like lots of hype to me. The guy was a 2-star coming out of HS who was raw and had lots of speed - I think that's basically what we have seen to date as a Buff.

If anything, I think he has pleasantly surprised some people with his return ability. Again, needs to limit mental errors, but has shown flashes in the return game that I didn't expect to see when he came to CU.

Maybe it's just me, but I haven't seen all this hype from CU fans you are talking about.

Most discussions about Josh sound the same - lot's of talent, could be very good if he was more consistent and eliminated the mental errors. That doesn't sound like lots of hype to me. The guy was a 2-star coming out of HS who was raw and had lots of speed - I think that's basically what we have seen to date as a Buff.

If anything, I think he has pleasantly surprised some people with his return ability. Again, needs to limit mental errors, but has shown flashes in the return game that I didn't expect to see when he came to CU.

Everything you said is true and I believe it to be what most CU fans think of J. Smith. That said, it's much easier for Slade to go off on some over dramatic tangent of "most overrated CU WR evar!!!111!!!"

I think it's scary to think how good the kid could be if he could run routes like McKnight and eliminate the mental lapses. Until he does that he's track star marauding as a WR, and his impersonation is just okay.

I do remember Blake Mackey. But I do not remember ever seeing anyone call him the Buffs #1 offensive weapon. I could be wrong.

For the hype CU fans have given him, Josh Smith has not yet performed. Maybe he will prove me wrong this season and next.

Idot. I said he was the #1 offensive weapon as a KR/PR...setting up short drives for TD's. IF the offense stalls, hopefully he will be there for a long return

Everything you said is true and I believe it to be what most CU fans think of J. Smith. That said, it's much easier for Slade to go off on some over dramatic tangent of "most overrated CU WR evar!!!111!!!"

I think it's scary to think how good the kid could be if he could run routes like McKnight and eliminate the mental lapses. Until he does that he's track star marauding as a WR, and his impersonation is just okay.

I think we all agree that Smith exhibits a tremendous upside. But we're selling him short if we don't acknowledge that he's proven himself to be a football player. The nerves required to return punts and kicks earn football player status in my opinion. Also, the manner in which he bounced back from the injury after he ran into the wall showed some real grit.

He only played football for two years in high school, and he's only played two in college. He's pretty much admitted that he didn't come with the most mature outlook. To me it sounds as though he's grown as a person in these last few years, and I suspect it will translate to the field. As others have noted, if we can put more speedy threats on the field with J-Fly, his production can be (and I think will be) tremendous for the Buffs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we all agree that Smith exhibits a tremendous upside. But we're selling him short if we don't acknowledge that he's proven himself to be a football player. The nerves required to return punts and kicks earn football player status in my opinion. Also, the manner in which he bounced back from the injury after he ran into the wall showed some real grit.

He only played football for two years in high school, and he's only played two in college. He's pretty much admitted that he didn't come with the most mature outlook. To me it sounds as though he's grown as a person in these last few years, and I suspect it will translate to the field. As others have noted, if we can put more speedy threats on the field with J-Fly, his production can be (and I think will be) tremendous for the Buffs.

I'm speaking more of him as a WR than kick returner. He has some instincts as a kick returner and is much further along as a returner than a WR. I do think we will see a more consistent Josh Smith (both WR and as a KR) this year. He's an upperclassmen and is going into his 3rd year, coupled with getting more competition from other guys on the team.

Ridiculous to say he is overrated as a WR!

His lack of supreme production on KR/PR, can be partially based on overall poor Special Teams play and a lack of better athletes on Special Teams.

His lack of supreme production as a WR can be partially based on an inexperieced OL that did not create average passing lanes nor quality time for a QB. Furthermore, the lack of a more productive running game, and other WRs that "scare" opponents, certainly didn't help a lone touted WR.

Also, didn't I hear he only started playing football his junior year of HS?

You couple all that with his two bm shoulders and I find it ridiculous that anyone says he is overrated. Give ti a chance.

Josh Smith has a lot of talent. CU's offense really was not playing to his strengths last season. A better running game and play action passes down the field will help him.

For my random bi-monthly off-season comment:

Josh Smith = James Jett, Willie Gault or Darius Heyward Bey... He'll make a great Raiders first round receiver pick in a couple years.

The offense didn't give him many shots, but when it did he usually didn't take advantage of it, and even with his amazing talent, his special teams gaffes cost the team more points than he scored.

I'd like to have seem him stay, to see if he could put it together with the talen he has though.

JFly couldn't stay on the field because of his poor route running, and he saw his return duties being taken over - all the RBs returned in the spring game. I don't doubt he wants to further his music career, but imagine this put him over the top.

Back