What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac 12 2017 Track and Field Championships (Multi-events, 5/6-7, rest 5/13-14)

Nice points for the men with a 3-5-6 finish in the 400M hurdles. Senior Jaron Thomas with a VERY nice double with 3rd and 4th place finishes in the 2 hurdles.

In the women's high jump, looks like the Buffs are going to pick up 3 points from junior Rajon O'Quinn with her 6th place finish.

Freshman Eriana Henderson adds another 3 points for the women with a 6th in the 400M hurdles.

The last distance races coming up, the 5K's, with the men scheduled to start in about 5 minutes and many Buffs of both genders entered.

Note- assume there will be quite a bit of scratches, but if not, it will be interesting to check out the women's 5K just for the size of the field, and how the favorites negotiate it, as there are a whopping 59 runners in the start list. (Thanks to a Letsrun.com forum thread for pointing this out. The men have 46, so it won't be a picnic for them either depending on the number of scratches.)

AND, Dani Jones with what the announcers call a rare 1500-5K double win. WOW!!!!!!

Erin Clark also impressively doubles back from last evening's 10K win to provide a point with an 8th place finish.

Buff men get a couple points in their last event of the Championships, the 4X400M relay. Unofficially, by FAR the best Buff result ever at Pac 12's, as they're showing in 4th place in points with 73!
(Edit- As I'd mentioned way back in post #8, their prior team best was 7th place.)

Last edited:
And the Buff women end their championships with a 5th place finish in their 4X400M relay.

The women's team ALSO looks to have their highest Pac 12 team finish by a bit, as they are showing in 3rd place with 78 points (vs. 6th and 66 points last season, their previous best)!

Last edited:
4th for the Men
3rd for the Women

T&F seems a whole lot better since they got new facilities with the Champions Center

Reactions: wip
Exciting championships for the Buffs. Amazing performances.

It hard to keep up with Dani Jones. All she does is win, win, win.

Article after the final day of the championships-

Direct link - http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2017/5/...earn-best-finish-at-pac-12-championships.aspx

"
EUGENE, Ore. – The University of Colorado track and field team swept both the men's and women's 5,000 meters en-route to its best Pac-12 conference finish in school history here Sunday at the Pac-12 Championships.

TEAM SCORES
The women finished in third place with 78 total points to earn their highest finish in Pac-12 history. Last season, the Buffs earned a sixth-place finish, which was their previous best finish. On the men's side, the Buffs took fourth with 73 total team points. The men's previous top finish came in 2013 when CU finished in sixth overall.

WHAT HAPPENED
Dani Jones took home two conference titles to help push the women to their best conference finish in over 10 years. The Colorado women also swept all distance events including the 1,500 meters (Dani Jones), the Steeplechase (Madison Boreman), the 5,000 meters (Dani Jones) and the 10,000 meters (Erin Clark).

The Buffs went on to sweep the men's 5,000 meters. Zach Perrin won his first conference title in the event after clocking a 13:58.48 time. Perrin joins an elite group of CU track athletes to win a 5,000-meter title as Joe Bosshard was the last Buff to win a conference title in 2011. Coming in right behind Perrin was Joe Klecker who finished second with a time 14:01.17 while John Dressel rounded out the top three with a time of 14:01.69.

Colorado junior Nick Harris also won his first Pac-12 Conference title in the 800 meters as he took first with a time of 1:48.77. Harris is the first Buff since Mike Macinko won the 800 meters in 1989.

Jaron Thomas earned many points for the Buffs as he finished fourth in the 110 meter hurdles with a 14.07 time. Thomas added six points in the 400 meter hurdles as he placed third with a time of 51.62. Joining Thomas in the finals heat were Trenton Stringari who crossed the finish line in 51.90 to place fifth while Kodie Artner placed sixth with a time of 52.30.

UP NEXT: The postseason will continue for the Buffs with the NCAA West Preliminary Championships, May 25-27, in Austin Texas.

QUOTABLE (Head Coach Mark Wetmore)
"Very good day actually. At the end of the first I thought it was going to be hard to equal that, but I think we did and then some."

"Earlier in the day I thought the men were on the path to having a really bad weekend. We were in 10th place a few hours ago. Nick Harris broke the dam with a great victory in the 800 meters. I am very proud of him. He kicked off a great couple of hours. Right after him the 400 meter hurdle men were on the line. Big points from them. Congrats to Burke's group. Suddenly we were back into the team standings race."

"It is really hard to double up with the 10k and the 5k, but Erin [Clark] did it. She knew we were battling for team points and came back today in the 5,000 meters and got us a point."

"Zach Perrin got us a couple points yesterday in the steeplechase in his debut year. But he came back today with a brilliant 5k race. Champion. Great close in the 200 meters. He proved he is a 5k runner."

"Jaron Thomas was the top-scorer for the men's team. Scoring in both the 110 hurdles and the 400 hurdles. He has made every final since he has been at CU. So, he has had a great career. Great kid, I am sad to see him go."

"The men were 10th earlier in the day, we had a disappointing 1,500 meters for the men. We expected a good chunk of points from there and that didn't happen. That was an extremely tactical race, we made some mistakes and got out kicked. But both of those guys double backed in the 5,000 meters where we went 1,2,3 and 5. It was a real display of Colorado distance running."

"Dani Jones is high point for the women. Two titles. Winning the 5,000 a couple hours after winning the 1,500 meters. Another tactical race, brilliantly run by her. I think that was her 5k debut. Dani is really coming into her own and asserting herself as one of Colorado's distance runners."

"The women have done something I don't think has ever happened in the Pac-12. They won 1,500, 3,000 meter Steeplechase, 5,000 and the 10,000. The women swept the distance events. I have never seen it personally. A lot of really big points from the women distance events."
"Of course at the end of the day the most important thing is the team standings. We emphasize that and double people back like Erin, Jaron. The men finished in fourth. That is the highest they have ever finished in this conference. The women finished third which is also our highest ever team finish here. Both teams scoring higher than I had expected by almost 15-20 points. It was a team effort."

Pac-12 Championships May 14, 2017
Eugene, Oregon

Team Scores:
Women: (1. Oregon, 189) 2. USC, 135; 3. Colorado, 78; 4. Washington, 72; 5. UCLA, 63; 6. Arizona State, 58.5; 7. Stanford, 47; 8. Arizona, 46; 9. Washington State, 45; 9. Cal, 45; 11. Oregon State, 21.5; 12. Utah, 16
Men: (1. Oregon, 175) 2. USC, 115.5; 3. UCLA, 101; 4. Colorado, 73; 5. Cal, 72; 6. Washington State, 69.5; 7. Washington, 61; 8. Arizona State, 51; 9. Arizona, 50; 10. Stanford, 49
"

Obviously/ hopefully not a big deal, but did want to note I screwed up earlier regarding the highest PRIOR Pac 12 result for the men. It was actually a 6th in 2013, when they scored 70 points, and not 2015 & 16's 7th place finishes that I'd noted earlier (in post #8, etc.).

Last edited:
Last edited:
A few more video post-race interviews with Buffs from the Championships released by Runnerspace-

800M Champion, senior Nick Harris (~4 minutes long) - http://pac-12championships.runnerspace.com/eprofile.php?event_id=20&do=videos&video_id=209491

From the men's 5000M:
Junior winner Zach Perrin (2-1/2 minutes) - http://pac-12championships.runnerspace.com/eprofile.php?event_id=20&do=videos&video_id=209502
Sophomore and 2nd place finisher Joe Klecker (~2 minutes) - http://pac-12championships.runnerspace.com/eprofile.php?event_id=20&do=videos&video_id=209501

And, after her win in the 5K, a second interview (5:15) with sophomore Dani Jones - http://pac-12championships.runnerspace.com/eprofile.php?event_id=20&do=videos&video_id=209503

Back