What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac-12 Football Championship: Vegas Baby!

This.

It would be soooo much better than the 49ers ballpark. I have no idea what they were thinking doing that in the first place.

This.

It would be soooo much better than the 49ers ballpark. I have no idea what they were thinking doing that in the first place.
Well la doesn't have a stadium so their choices were sort of limited. Pretty much between San Jose and Glendale and since the head quarters is in the bay they probably went with that.

Well la doesn't have a stadium so their choices were sort of limited. Pretty much between San Jose and Glendale and since the head quarters is in the bay they probably went with that.
Your post lacks creativity. Technically, the Rose Bowl doesn't belong to UCLA, although I get that it is where UCLA plays home games. Then you have Qualcomm, CenturyLink Field, Alameda Coliseum, and of course, Mile High. This assumes they were trying to avoid home fields (which I wouldn't have a problem with, actually).

Just because Levi's is sort of centrally located and new, doesn't make it a good environment. It sucks.

I would have either gone with:
1) Round robin of the professional stadiums in region
2) Home field for the highest ranking team
3) Home field for the team with the best conference record. To be clear, yes, the better team gets an advantage - this isn't a bad thing when you think about the ramifications of the playoff.
4) Vegas - even if it was UNLV. That stadium can hold 40k. The average attendance the last 3 years at Levi was 50k. Jack up the price 25% and you make the same amount of money at a neutral facility that is a wildly better host town and fan experience.

I'm crossing my fingers the Vegas thing happens with the new stadium. This would obviously be better than UNLV's stadium, which is in fact kind of a junk hole. To be clear though, the idea of going to Levi's in Santa Clara, well, let's just say there is zero chance for any highlights beyond the game itself.

Your post lacks creativity. Technically, the Rose Bowl doesn't belong to UCLA, although I get that it is where UCLA plays home games. Then you have Qualcomm, CenturyLink Field, Alameda Coliseum, and of course, Mile High. This assumes they were trying to avoid home fields (which I wouldn't have a problem with, actually).

Just because Levi's is sort of centrally located and new, doesn't make it a good environment. It sucks.

I would have either gone with:
1) Round robin of the professional stadiums in region
2) Home field for the highest ranking team
3) Home field for the team with the best conference record. To be clear, yes, the better team gets an advantage - this isn't a bad thing when you think about the ramifications of the playoff.
4) Vegas - even if it was UNLV. That stadium can hold 40k. The average attendance the last 3 years at Levi was 50k. Jack up the price 25% and you make the same amount of money at a neutral facility that is a wildly better host town and fan experience.

I'm crossing my fingers the Vegas thing happens with the new stadium. The idea of going to Levi's in Santa Clara, well, let's just say there is zero chance for any highlights beyond the game itself.
Well they tried the home field stuff and didn't like it. I tossed out Denver and Seattle just because of weather and the la stadiums because most schools would be pissed about giving those schools a bigger advantage. And let's be honest, no matter how lowly attended the game is they aren't going to be the only P5 conference to play in a non pro stadium. Qualcomm is a complete **** hole so that is out despite San Diego being nice but also sort of out of footprint and another non sports town.

Part of the issue with Levi's is they are stupid as **** and decide to play at 6 pm local on a Friday which makes absolutely no sense.

Personally I would have preferred Glendale since the environment is supposed to be awesome, the stadium is nice, there is plenty to do around the town, cheap flights and hotels. Sort of like a mini Vegas in that sense.

Was a 3-year deal with Levi Stadium for 2014-2016. I haven't seen a new agreement for this year. Wonder what they'll do.

Well they tried the home field stuff and didn't like it. I tossed out Denver and Seattle just because of weather and the la stadiums because most schools would be pissed about giving those schools a bigger advantage. And let's be honest, no matter how lowly attended the game is they aren't going to be the only P5 conference to play in a non pro stadium. Qualcomm is a complete **** hole so that is out despite San Diego being nice but also sort of out of footprint and another non sports town.

Part of the issue with Levi's is they are stupid as **** and decide to play at 6 pm local on a Friday which makes absolutely no sense.

Personally I would have preferred Glendale since the environment is supposed to be awesome, the stadium is nice, there is plenty to do around the town, cheap flights and hotels. Sort of like a mini Vegas in that sense.
I'm going to try to break this down - not to pick on you, just to have a conversation.

1) O - Well they tried the home field stuff and didn't like it.
H - I really don't care if people see this as favoritism. The way the Playoff is playing out at this point, it is in the Pac 12's favor to get the highest ranked team in as the conference champion. You don't like? Obtain the best conference record or highest ranking before the championship. The regular season counts in the playoff and I have zero problem with it counting in regards to the championship location. The NFC and AFC championships are not played in a neutral location, they are home field earned by achieving the highest record. (I'm going to be a dick here) We need to stop being pansy asses about fairness. Earn the home field.

2) O - I tossed out Denver and Seattle just because of weather and the la stadiums because most schools would be pissed about giving those schools a bigger advantage.
H - If we go pro stadium, no pro stadium should be thrown out. Pro's and con's to all of them. Weather is a reality in football. Should Green Bay or Buffalo not get playoff home games because they might have weather on the day of the game?

3) O - Qualcomm is a complete **** hole so that is out despite San Diego being nice but also sort of out of footprint and another non sports town.
H - I agree with this. I also believe it would be a better destination location at no additional travel cost flight wise because San Diego rocks and the game is not the exclusive point of a trip like this. You want an experience. Sterile Levi's in a random suburb 20 miles south of SF is not an experience. **** - hold the thing at Valor Field in Highlands Ranch and the fan experience would be the same as Levi's.

Can anyone tell my wife and kids aren't home tonight? Time to back away from the keyboard.

I'm going to try to break this down - not to pick on you, just to have a conversation.

1) O - Well they tried the home field stuff and didn't like it.
H - I really don't care if people see this as favoritism. The way the Playoff is playing out at this point, it is in the Pac 12's favor to get the highest ranked team in as the conference champion. You don't like? Obtain the best conference record or highest ranking before the championship. The regular season counts in the playoff and I have zero problem with it counting in regards to the championship location. The NFC and AFC championships are not played in a neutral location, they are home field earned by achieving the highest record. (I'm going to be a dick here) We need to stop being pansy asses about fairness. Earn the home field.

2) O - I tossed out Denver and Seattle just because of weather and the la stadiums because most schools would be pissed about giving those schools a bigger advantage.
H - If we go pro stadium, no pro stadium should be thrown out. Pro's and con's to all of them. Weather is a reality in football. Should Green Bay or Buffalo not get playoff home games because they might have weather on the day of the game?

3) O - Qualcomm is a complete **** hole so that is out despite San Diego being nice but also sort of out of footprint and another non sports town.
H - I agree with this. I also believe it would be a better destination location at no additional travel cost flight wise because San Diego rocks and the game is not the exclusive point of a trip like this. You want an experience. Sterile Levi's in a random suburb 20 miles south of SF is not an experience. **** - hold the thing at Valor Field in Highlands Ranch and the fan experience would be the same as Levi's.

Can anyone tell my wife and kids aren't home tonight? Time to back away from the keyboard.
I feel like my argument is hindered by logic here haha.

I feel like my argument is hindered by logic here haha.
Your logic, but I'm on board with that.

Can we agree if Vegas builds a new stadium and the Pac 12 relocates the game there, it would be the best alternative?

Your logic, but I'm on board with that.

Can we agree if Vegas builds a new stadium and the Pac 12 relocates the game there, it would be the best alternative?
Oh no doubt, I have been all over this for a while in the NFL forum. And by the way is isn't really my logic, I just think there is about 0% chance the PAC 12 wants to have a championship game in Denver or Seattle in December. I am not really disagreeing with what you are saying just going off of what I think they want to do.

I like the idea. Attendance would probably be pretty good and it would establish vegas as a PAC 12 brand.

I liked the Big 12 CCG rotation of neutral sites, personally, with the divisions alternating "home" stadiums.

I liked the Big 12 CCG rotation of neutral sites, personally, with the divisions alternating "home" stadiums.
I think that would be awesome for the next couple years until the stadium was build but I can guarantee you if the Big-12 had a neutral site like Vegas with a new stadium "in footprint", they would most definitely use it.

Playing the game in Phoenix would make a lot of sense IMO. Decent stadium, decent city, decent weather in December. At least would be an improvement over Levi's.

Vegas for the Pac-12 CCG would be incredible. Need the Raiders to build that stadium ASAP.

Vegas would be the best option. For one, the CCG would be located in a city that is in the heart of Pac 12 territory, but also offers not having schools within an hour (Cal and Stanford) that would could create a home field advantage for them if they are playing in the game. Secondly, it gives people opportunities to make quick travel plans. I was just looking up if I were to buy tickets from Denver to Vegas a week from now, I can fly under $300 round trip. How many other destinations are that cheap in that short of a time. Not only are flights cheap, but hotel rooms are cheap in Vegas. You can stay on the strip for not that much.

I also wonder if the Raiders move there, they will probably play at UNLV until their stadium is built? If that's the case, how likely are they going to help UNLV in regards to getting their stadium up to par? Even if UNLV did not move into the new stadium, they would be in much better shape facility wise then they are now. I am just looking at it from a possible expansion mindset.

Problem was it became clear that the Big 12 games were moving to Texas, switching back and forth between Dallas and Houston. Texas controlled the Big 12 then, still does, and they didn't care about any other school but themselves, especially schools in the North.

Vegas would be the best option. For one, the CCG would be located in a city that is in the heart of Pac 12 territory, but also offers not having schools within an hour (Cal and Stanford) that would could create a home field advantage for them if they are playing in the game. Secondly, it gives people opportunities to make quick travel plans. I was just looking up if I were to buy tickets from Denver to Vegas a week from now, I can fly under $300 round trip. How many other destinations are that cheap in that short of a time. Not only are flights cheap, but hotel rooms are cheap in Vegas. You can stay on the strip for not that much.

I also wonder if the Raiders move there, they will probably play at UNLV until their stadium is built? If that's the case, how likely are they going to help UNLV in regards to getting their stadium up to par? Even if UNLV did not move into the new stadium, they would be in much better shape facility wise then they are now. I am just looking at it from a possible expansion mindset.

Think Oakland would end up staying in LA until the stadium is completed. No way is an NFL team going to play at an out of date venue that only seats 40k.

The Raiders won't be using the current UNLV stadium. Ever.

The new stadium will be built before the Raiders get there.

To be fair, if there is one school you don't have to worry about them having a home field advantage despite playing 10 minutes away from their campus it is Stanford.

i don't hate the idea of the game being played in vegas as much as i thought i would. that game at levi's last year was dank. the stadium was less than half full; the crowd was all spread out; a bunch of the concession stands weren't even open. it felt sterile. of course, i was pissed about the way the game was going so i probably have a jaded opinion to some extent.

and, i do think there is something of a home field advantage for the california schools... not that we will ever have to worry about cal (just kidding, bear fans) being in the game.

at least with vegas, everyone has to travel out of state, even though it is a quick flight from LA or even just a reasonable drive.

and, maybe the lure of vegas will help attendance.

if we can keep growing the site, i look forward to the Junta Hookers and Blow Hospitality Suite at the Cosmo.

I still prefer home games for the higher ranked team.
Next best is definitely Vegas.
I think this would solve the attendance issues in the short term but in terms of a long-term plan for engagement for the conference I think it does the opposite since it really only engages two fan bases. Personally I would never decide a week before the game to travel to another school for a championship game that the Buffs aren't playing in but if it does move to a cheaper travel destination like Vegas or even Pheonix I would try to go every other year to the game and spend a weekend there. When fans don't know where the game will be until the week of I think it hurts that a little bit.

The thing with Vegas as a location is that it's going to draw a base crowd of Pac-12 fans who will make an annual mini vacation trip for the game regardless of who is playing. No other location gives that bump. Beyond that, Vegas is the place in the west if you're going to promote an EVENT.

Think Oakland would end up staying in LA until the stadium is completed. No way is an NFL team going to play at an out of date venue that only seats 40k.
The Chargers are going to play where the Galaxy play in a stadium that only holds 27,000 until the new stadium is finished in 2019.

The Chargers are going to play where the Galaxy play in a stadium that only holds 27,000 until the new stadium is finished in 2019.
While this is a fair point, The Stubhub Center is less than 15yrs old and is going to offer a unique stadium experience as fans are going to be much closer to the action than in a normal football stadium.

UNLV's stadium is a pit.

Back