What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac-12 hires MGM's George Kliavkoff to replace Larry Scott as commissioner

The presidents were asleep at the wheel until the car was clearly in the ditch.
People who have lived their entire professional lives with extensive bureaucratic guardrails have a hard time grasping that they don't exist in other organizations unless you deliberately put them there.

No travel expense policy for executives is a prime example - it probably never even crossed their minds that it was possible that there wouldn't be one, so they never bothered to ensure that there was one.

People who have lived their entire professional lives with extensive bureaucratic guardrails have a hard time grasping that they don't exist in other organizations unless you deliberately put them there.

No travel expense policy for executives is a prime example - it probably never even crossed their minds that it was possible that there wouldn't be one, so they never bothered to ensure that there was one.
Thats also the type of thing you can take a quick look at a P&L and realize you need one.

Ouch.

it was time for him to go For sure. But he improved the fortunes of CU and of the confernece. Thank god they took us and didnt take BYU and UU back when they expanded.

Well so far this statement from Kliavkoff is the anti-Champaign Larry message. Being absolutely clear that football is priority #1. P12 will be prioritizing football decisions to maximize playoff spots and competitiveness. Announced a football working group that will have all options on the table including the potential elimination of divisions.

Well so far this statement from Kliavkoff is the anti-Champaign Larry message. Being absolutely clear that football is priority #1. P12 will be prioritizing football decisions to maximize playoff spots and competitiveness. Announced a football working group that will have all options on the table including the potential elimination of divisions.
Eliminating divisions is an easy decision and should have happened yesterday.

We already do pod scheduling to the Pac-12 so we might as well do away with divisions and have the top two teams play in the CCG.

We already do pod scheduling to the Pac-12 so we might as well do away with divisions and have the top two teams play in the CCG.
The Pac 12 should never be in a situation like last year where a multi loss Oregon team can beat an undefeated USC team in the CCG and possibly prevent a conference rep in the playoff. Granted, a 1 loss USC team would still make the new expanded playoff, but the point remains. Two best teams in the conference need to be playing for the championship.

The Pac 12 should never be in a situation like last year where a multi loss Oregon team can beat an undefeated USC team in the CCG and possibly prevent a conference rep in the playoff. Granted, a 1 loss USC team would still make the new expanded playoff, but the point remains. Two best teams in the conference need to be playing for the championship.

Agreed and that should be the way things are in the PAC going forward. No more divisions. Best two teams in the CCG.

I thought it was interesting that he touched on pay for play and the conference working on federal legislation to combat that. I am not sure what that means realistically and what it will end up looking like, but that will be massive positive for college football.

I thought it was interesting that he touched on pay for play and the conference working on federal legislation to combat that. I am not sure what that means realistically and what it will end up looking like, but that will be massive positive for college football.
I've long been in favor of a stipend like other merit scholars receive. Also, that athletes should be able to profit from NIL - like if they're used in an EASports game. But I thought the way to go was escrow accounts that held the NIL money and then paid out after eligibility expired.

I've long been in favor of a stipend like other merit scholars receive. Also, that athletes should be able to profit from NIL - like if they're used in an EASports game. But I thought the way to go was escrow accounts that held the NIL money and then paid out after eligibility expired.
Athletes already get stipends. I'd assume that will go up as time goes and more money flows in. NIL is also a big step, but you are now seeing bag men type situations now funneling that money through businesses or legit organizations, so hopefully that is what he is talking about.

We’re almost exactly one month from CU’s first game - any word on possible changes to access to the P12N? Or am I still going to have to get Fubo for the duration of the college football season just to watch that stupid channel?

We’re almost exactly one month from CU’s first game - any word on possible changes to access to the P12N? Or am I still going to have to get Fubo for the duration of the college football season just to watch that stupid channel?
What changes are you looking for?

PAC 12 media rights deals expire in 2024. New deals are typically negotiated about 12-18 months before expiration. Bottom line is that no change should be expected in the next couple of years. However, even after 2024, I think you will still have to subscribe to some streaming service “to watch that stupid channel”.

The only change that could happen is that ESPN decides to include the P12N on ESPN+ until the expiration of the media rights deal. Wishful thinking on my part though.

The only change that could happen is that ESPN decides to include the P12N on ESPN+ until the expiration of the media rights deal. Wishful thinking on my part though.
Which you still have to pay extra for.

PAC 12 media rights deals expire in 2024. New deals are typically negotiated about 12-18 months before expiration. Bottom line is that no change should be expected in the next couple of years. However, even after 2024, I think you will still have to subscribe to some streaming service “to watch that stupid channel”.
The trend is that more content, not less, is slowly going behind the pay wall.

Despite how little I get out of it I keep the P12Nets all year. It's my small contribution that keeps us from being completely irrelevant.

Which you still have to pay extra for.

Not for me since I stopped cable TV for good. The extra would be those price increases for ESPN+. The annual ESPN+ subscription costs just $5 more than a monthly subscription of YouTube TV. Want 4K? Throw in an extra $20 for $85 per month.

And here's the kicker: I don't have to watch sports live anymore just on my own time.

Sling's way cheaper-$15 a month?

Sling's way cheaper-$15 a month?
I’ll have to go back and look at it. For some reason I feel like I was missing something vital with sling and had get another service to cover down. Not having to do any of it last year, and just keep my Hulu live, was kind of nice.

Back