What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac-12 hires MGM's George Kliavkoff to replace Larry Scott as commissioner

Yep, just went to look this up as well. $46/month just for the P12N is nuts - I’ve already got Hulu live which is a better deal overall than sling. But Fubo is even worse. Anyone have any other options? *none of the cable providers in Corpus Christi carry P12N.
I would say your bigger issue is finding a way to get the hell out of Corpus. 😬

If and only if you keep your current internet/cable tv setup is adding the channel $46. There are other options where it is cheaper.

Step 1: Change to an internet only cable subscription instead of an internet and tv subscription. Your cost on this will be lower.
Step 2: Sign up for a sling, fubo or dish subscription to deliver your tv.
Step 3: Add the two bills together and compare to your current bill - chances are it will be surprisingly close to what you're paying now.
I’m internet only. We have Hulu live because for most of the year, it has everything we want (more than the other services)

I’m internet only. We have Hulu live because for most of the year, it has everything we want (more than the other services)
So the trick is to see if you can downgrade or drop Hulu for football season and replace with fubo or sling. We do this: run sling during football season, and then other services (or even none some months) the rest of the year.

So the trick is to see if you can downgrade or drop Hulu for football season and replace with fubo or sling. We do this: run sling during football season, and then other services (or even none some months) the rest of the year.
I could try. Most likely that would result in a knife to my jugular by my wife. She’s barely hanging onto the AV system functionality as it is.

Not sure if joking. I will do it if it is the only option, do you have to admit that paying $46 what channel is ridiculous
If memory serves, I thought I got several channels of which one was the Pac 12 Network. I paid extra for ‘news’ and ‘dvr’ too. It all charges to amazon prime account bc I set it up on a firetv.CED8278A-8AC0-42D7-888C-6AEE8264E6FF.jpeg

Last edited:
I could try. Most likely that would result in a knife to my jugular by my wife. She’s barely hanging onto the AV system functionality as it is.
While everyone's situation is different, this wasn't THAT hard for me. Mrs. Highlander had a handful (but ONLY a handful) of stations that were a requirement. At first, we did both YoutubeTV and Sling to cover both our needs.

Honestly, we were saving trinkets at that point, but the experience was so wildly better than cable. Any device, any location, any time. Just boom.

Then FuboTV added ESPN and it had all our needs. Mrs. Highlander bitched about the experience for about 2 weeks, then nothing heard about it ever again.

In all honesty, similar to other comments, Cable TV companies are losing their shirts right now. At this point, I'm technically subscribing to Cable TV through Comcast, but I haven't even plugged in the new router, let alone ordered any cable boxes. It just just saved me money when compared to not subscribing to cable TV. Without even doing the math though, I am strongly positive the cost per TV Box subscription would make it more expensive and I don't have to deal with all their equipment. The fact that I have a second home where all the streaming subscriptions work just fine with only internet doubles the value.

While everyone's situation is different, this wasn't THAT hard for me. Mrs. Highlander had a handful (but ONLY a handful) of stations that were a requirement. At first, we did both YoutubeTV and Sling to cover both our needs.

Honestly, we were saving trinkets at that point, but the experience was so wildly better than cable. Any device, any location, any time. Just boom.

Then FuboTV added ESPN and it had all our needs. Mrs. Highlander bitched about the experience for about 2 weeks, then nothing heard about it ever again.

In all honesty, similar to other comments, Cable TV companies are losing their shirts right now. At this point, I'm technically subscribing to Cable TV through Comcast, but I haven't even plugged in the new router, let alone ordered any cable boxes. It just just saved me money when compared to not subscribing to cable TV. Without even doing the math though, I am strongly positive the cost per TV Box subscription would make it more expensive and I don't have to deal with all their equipment. The fact that I have a second home where all the streaming subscriptions work just fine with only internet doubles the value.
Maybe that was one of my issues - Fubo didn’t have ESPN. And then someone didn’t have CBSSports. Something like that.

Does anyone know if the 'PAC-12 Insider' channel is going to be showing live games on it?

It is a streaming channel on Samsung (and some other streaming services), and it is currently showing old games. I can't tell if it will have live events on it, or if it only shows re-runs.

Does anyone know if the 'PAC-12 Insider' channel is going to be showing live games on it?

It is a streaming channel on Samsung (and some other streaming services), and it is currently showing old games. I can't tell if it will have live events on it, or if it only shows re-runs.
It does not. I’ve been burned by it.

I like Wilner's idea here of the Pac12 taking advantage of the football void on Sunday and Monday afternoon on Labor Day weekend. The only sports on today was the Fedex Cup, US Open, and NASCAR (which didn't start until 6pm Eastern). Sure there are challenges as Wilner noted like having a short week but offset that with a cupcake in week 2. For example ND has Toledo next week, FSU has Jax State, Louisville has EKU and Ole Miss has Austin Peay. And exclusive windows like this would be great for the P12 to get into instead of 10:30 pm EST on a Saturday night.

I haven't read or participated in this thread at all, so I don't know what the sentiments are around our new commissioner.

However, I just returned from a presentation/meet 'n greet with him. He is really impressive. His ability to communicate complex issues in simple terms and speak honestly about challenges is rare.

Also, he attended UCLA v. LSU, Oregon v. tOSU and he will attend our game tomorrow. I'm hoping his good luck will hold out.

I haven't read or participated in this thread at all, so I don't know what the sentiments are around our new commissioner.

However, I just returned from a presentation/meet 'n greet with him. He is really impressive. His ability to communicate complex issues in simple terms and speak honestly about challenges is rare.

Also, he attended UCLA v. LSU, Oregon v. tOSU and he will attend our game tomorrow. I'm hoping his good luck will hold out.

were you able to score a comp room at the MGM Grand in Vegas and free tix for the Pac 12 MBB tourney?

I just returned from a presentation/meet 'n greet with him. He is really impressive. His ability to communicate complex issues in simple terms and speak honestly about challenges is rare.

And? What did he say?

And? What did he say?
He said that he stepped into the role at an unusually complex time, with NIL, Alston and also the NCAA redistributing roles and policy to individual schools.

And then...

OU and Texas made their announcements and things got really complex.

He said that many schools (at least 12) approached the Pac and asked to join. The Pac formed an evaluation committee formed of 6 University Presidents and 6 ADs. He said schools were evaluated on what you would expect: Media markets, academics, competitive sports, cultural fit and a bunch of other stuff. None of them passed the test, but it sounds like there were some contenders (I thought that he hinted that Houston and Okie State were two of them, but he didn't say so explicitly).

It sounds like he may have initiated the partnership with the Big (but didn't say so explicitly) and then they looked to that ACC. They like the commissioner there, and he said, "You think that the SEC move had an impact on the Pac 12? Imagine that you're sharing territory with the SEC. And now imagine that you have the lowest TV contract of any major conference, and imagine that you couldn't renegotiate that contract for another 15 years. We reached out and feel that our moves have stabilized the college football landscape."

They (he and Rick) were also glad that the Big 12 stabilized too. They felt that was good for college football.

He is really excited about the alliance of conferences - particularly in what it means for football games. First off, the schedule will be finalized 8 months before the season in order to create the most compelling matchups. Next, he's excited that the alliance will be able to offer an interconference game every single week during the season, and across all timezones. He said the late games will always incorporate Pac 12, but they will be targeted to hit prime-time on the East Coast.

He talked about our TV negotiation in two years and seems to be eyeing CBS (but again, not explicit about it) in a way that the current contract won't allow him. He doesn't seem optimistic about passing the SEC (they just gained 75% of the Big 12's views). But he does we will be right there with the next Big 10 contract. He didn't say it, but it was easy to surmise that the ACC and the Big 12 are going to get passed up on TV.

It was really the way he explained things that was useful. He's a great communicator and really clear on how he operates and what he values. He's tough not to like.

He said that he stepped into the role at an unusually complex time, with NIL, Alston and also the NCAA redistributing roles and policy to individual schools.

And then...

He said that many schools (at least 12) approached the Pac and asked to join. The Pac formed an evaluation committee formed of 6 University Presidents and 6 ADs. He said schools were evaluated on what you would expect: Media markets, academics, competitive sports, cultural fit and a bunch of other stuff. None of them passed the test, but it sounds like there were some contenders (I thought that he hinted that Houston and Okie State were two of them, but he didn't say so explicitly).

It sounds like he may have initiated the partnership with the Big (but didn't say so explicitly) and then they looked to that ACC. They like the commissioner there, and he said, "You think that the SEC move had an impact on the Pac 12? Imagine that you're sharing territory with the SEC. And now imagine that you have the lowest TV contract of any major conference, and imagine that you couldn't renegotiate that contract for another 15 years. We reached out and feel that our moves have stabilized the college football landscape."

They (he and Rick) were also glad that the Big 12 stabilized too. They felt that was good for college football.

He is really excited about the alliance of conferences - particularly in what it means for football games. First off, the schedule will be finalized 8 months before the season in order to create the most compelling matchups. Next, he's excited that the alliance will be able to offer an interconference game every single week during the season, and across all timezones. He said the late games will always incorporate Pac 12, but they will be targeted to hit prime-time on the East Coast.

He talked about our TV negotiation in two years and seems to be eyeing CBS (but again, not explicit about it) in a way that the current contract won't allow him. He doesn't seem optimistic about passing the SEC (they just gained 75% of the Big 12's views). But he does we will be right there with the next Big 10 contract. He didn't say it, but it was easy to surmise that the ACC and the Big 12 are going to get passed up on TV.

It was really the way he explained things that was useful. He's a great communicator and really clear on how he operates and what he values. He's tough not to like.
I was going to make some awful joke about your previous post on you being a small fish on allbuffs as well.

However, this is one of the best posts in this thread. Awesome info, and you have to feel soooo much better with the direction of the pac 12 now. Let’s hope this all comes to fruition. Thanks!

I was going to make some awful joke about your previous post on you being a small fish on allbuffs as well.

However, this is one of the best posts in this thread. Awesome info, and you have to feel soooo much better with the direction of the pac 12 now. Let’s hope this all comes to fruition. Thanks!
I can't imagine a lower bar than what was set by Larry. I'm trying to judge GK on his own merit rather than relative to LS, but I struggle with that. He seems to simply be good for this role, but I know im carrying a lot of bias baggage in that opinion.

@Uncle Ken - your post assured me quite a bit. Thank you.

I can't imagine a lower bar than what was set by Larry. I'm trying to judge GK on his own merit rather than relative to LS, but I struggle with that. He seems to simply be good for this role, but I know im carrying a lot of bias baggage in that opinion.

@Uncle Ken - your post assured me quite a bit. Thank you.
If he was truly the guy who reached out about the alliance, then that’s top level leadership IMO

If he was truly the guy who reached out about the alliance, then that’s top level leadership IMO
Again, he didn't say it was him specifically. He said that the Pac and the Big have a century old alliance, and it was natural to reach out to them to create stability when things were "vibrating". I took that to mean that he picked up the phone. It was Rick that pointed out that all three commissioners are relatively new in their roles.

That would be consistent with stories that he (Kliavkoff) shared about his dealings at MGM and NBC. He seems to be really big in creating win/win deals. He specifically stated that it's important that his team scan externally to create successes that extend just beyond the immediate team. Strategically speaking, he seemed next-level.

And to be fair, I'm a fan with no real insights. I could be snowed by anybody in that position. If it were Larry Scott in the room, I'm sure he would have impressed me. I was at Mike Mac's initial presser, and he impressed me. But our new commissioner felt like he was extra-impressive. We'll see in time, but he has already made some big moves.

I'm assuming that he shared what he shared with this group, because he's quite comfortable with everything that I've posted being public. He was unapologetically discrete when he wanted to be.

And then...

Two things that jump out at me: one, I don’t think the B12 is even close to “stabilized”, but maybe it’s stable enough so that it suits our purposes. That leads to my second thought: I wonder if the reason Kliavkoff is pleased is because he knows the remnants of the B12 won’t command much in the way of a media deal, which leaves the PAC 12 as the only major college conference West of the Mississippi. Regardless of the overall competitive nature of the conference, geography is once again a valuable ally.

Two things that jump out at me: one, I don’t think the B12 is even close to “stabilized”, but maybe it’s stable enough so that it suits our purposes. That leads to my second thought: I wonder if the reason Kliavkoff is pleased is because he knows the remnants of the B12 won’t command much in the way of a media deal, which leaves the PAC 12 as the only major college conference West of the Mississippi. Regardless of the overall competitive nature of the conference, geography is once again a valuable ally.
I think it helps the TV deal though and that is part of it. But it contains a bunch of free-radicals that would have been floating around, and I think that was the point he was making. Imagine if Baylor was out there with their dirty politics - that is what is destabilizing. This is just what I read into it. He didn't say any of that.

Thanks for sharing @Uncle Ken.

Given the CBS thing, I’m guessing Norte Dame is going to get paid by NBC and Fox goes all in with the B1G.

I find it interesting that you didn’t mention the P12N at all.

Thanks for sharing @Uncle Ken.

Given the CBS thing, I’m guessing Norte Dame is going to get paid by NBC and Fox goes all in with the B1G.

I find it interesting that you didn’t mention the P12N at all.
He mentioned it, and I can't remember what he said - he definitely wasn't pumping sunshine around it, though. He comes from the world of TV negotiation, of course, so it is interesting that he didn't mention it more. He did reference the LHN network (unsuccessful) would be incorporated into the SEC Network (very successful).

He seemed to offer a very clear-eyed view of what isn't working in the Pac (including team performance in football) without selling the value and the culture of the Pac short. It's hard to explain - it's what he did well though. Honest assessment coupled with rational enthusiasm? I don't know, it's hard to explain his approach; it just felt reassuring.

He mentioned it, and I can't remember what he said - he definitely wasn't pumping sunshine around it, though. He comes from the world of TV negotiation, of course, so it is interesting that he didn't mention it more. He did reference the LHN network (unsuccessful) would be incorporated into the SEC Network (very successful).

He seemed to offer a very clear-eyed view of what isn't working in the Pac (including team performance in football) without selling the value and the culture of the Pac short. It's hard to explain - it's what he did well though. Honest assessment coupled with rational enthusiasm? I don't know, it's hard to explain his approach; it just felt reassuring.
Given your background and life experiences, the high praise you have for him is reassuring to us (to me at least).

People that can do that are super impressive to me - doesn’t seem like there’s lots of those out there. I know I’m sure as **** in the opposite group, I’m adept an making the simplest concepts sound like quantitative physics to an art major.

Wait, did I miss the Uncle Ken origin story thread?
It's like yours, but without the law school, a cooler service and an operational focus. Now that I think about it, I think you're my nemesis.

Also, my left half is bio-technical, the result of a helo-UFO collision that is highly classified.

Back