What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Fair, Dio.
Jimmy Fallon Writing GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Go to #4.

Sounds to me like Oregon and Washington are a foregone conclusion. Just a matter of when.
Absolutely.

Almost certainly, the B1G will expand more to the West and add the AAUs. Washington & Oregon is a lock in this scenario.

I think CU has to hope the expansion number is 24 rather than 18 or 20 for the ultimate B1G configuration.

Absolutely.

Almost certainly, the B1G will expand more to the West and add the AAUs. Washington & Oregon is a lock in this scenario.

I think CU has to hope the expansion number is 24 rather than 18 or 20 for the ultimate B1G configuration.
If a show of "commitment to athletics" is important in expansion, than Stanford and Cal shouldn't even be in consideration.

If a show of "commitment to athletics" is important in expansion, than Stanford and Cal shouldn't even be in consideration.
It helps a lot that they're 2 of the top 5 universities in the world with a 100 year affiliation with the B1G through the Rose Bowl and are in one of the nation's largest population centers for attracting students, donations and broadcast numbers (particularly when they play USC or UCLA).

It helps a lot that they're 2 of the top 5 universities in the world with a 100 year affiliation with the B1G through the Rose Bowl and are in one of the nation's largest population centers for attracting students, donations and broadcast numbers (particularly when they play USC or UCLA).
From what I’ve read, more coastal P12 schools mean more west coast travel and higher travel costs for the existing 14 members. As a result, the B1G presidents do not want to expand. Whatever concerns are being raised are from fans not presidents.

Also, I’m skeptical USC wants them on-board. Plus, it’s not a quick trip. It’s still a 2-3hr flight. (Talking about UO/UW here).

That said, it certainly looks like UO/UW are logical additions. But I do see a stronger tie between USC/UCLA and Stan/Cal. Plus, it lets USC beat up on nearby schools they’re used to historically beating up.

If I had to put an order to it:
1. Stan / Cal
2. Wash / Ore
3. Utah / CU

Last edited:
To be fair, I don't think it is much more desperate than the PAC taking SMU to get into Texas and the CTZ
The difference is the Pac likely needs 2 more programs to get back up to 12 for enough inventory to add $$ to the media deal. SDSU is a no brainer and then they would like to infiltrate TX and the Dallas market, so SMU is probably the next best option.

The Big 12 already added 4 G5 programs to get back to 12. Would they really stop at 13 or would they add Boise or UNLV to get to 14? Half their conference is about to be G5.

The difference is the Pac likely needs 2 more programs to get back up to 12 for enough inventory to add $$ to the media deal. SDSU is a no brainer and then they would like to infiltrate TX and the Dallas market, so SMU is probably the next best option.

The Big 12 already added 4 G5 programs to get back to 12. Would they really stop at 13 or would they add Boise or UNLV to get to 14? Half their conference is about to be G5.
I just read something the past few days about the Big 12 being in contact with Fresno State

Here's a breakdown on Nick Kahn CEO of the WWE interview by Marchand & Ourand about the PAC 12

This just confirms George Kliavkoff made blunders after blunders.

Rod Gilmore makes it sound like SDSU is a given if the Pac12 expands, starting at about the 29:00 mark. Then after some NIL talk they go on to talk a little bit about the upcoming season in the Pac12

SDSU is a necessary mitigation addition to the PAC. Much like Houston in the Big 12. They may not carry SoCal, but PAC games in SoCal is a must for the conference.

The real push and shove is over #12. I think sitting at 11 teams isn't impossible, but it supposedly reduces the overall available inventory to sell. Personally, I would say the PAC adds SDSU and then should sit tight until the realignment picture becomes clear.

Some interesting nuggets in this article-

Arizona President Robert Robbins speaks again.

Other than that, what are the Pac-12's linear (broadcast/cable) options? It has been suggested NBC could be a possibility, but it would likely feature games only on its non-broadcast properties: USA Network (cable) and/or Peacock (streaming).

Robbins reiterated to CBS Sports that the majority of Pac-12 games will be on a linear partner, a significant claim.

"This whole streaming thing? That's overplayed," Robbins said. "I think this deal is going to have a heavy traditional analog cable [piece]. I think. There may some streaming in it, but I don't think anybody would want to go majority streaming."
Industry sources continue to back up what Robbins is indicating: The Pac-12 doesn't seem close to a deal.

Potentially complicating matters less than 15 months out is expansion, which could delay the process further. Schools would have to extricate themselves from their previous leagues financially and perhaps legally. New schedules would have to be drawn up. It's not as simple as changing logos on the uniforms and fields.

Go to #4.

Sounds to me like Oregon and Washington are a foregone conclusion. Just a matter of when.
When they mention Cal and Stanford, it just makes zero sense. Neither is as committed to Football as we are, and I could see both dropping down rather than push for Big 10

When they mention Cal and Stanford, it just makes zero sense. Neither is as committed to Football as we are, and I could see both dropping down rather than push for Big 10
The B1G adding Stanford and Cal makes a lot of sense to me (unfortunately).
  • Complete ownership of California market with USC, UCLA, Cal, and Furd.
  • Easiest travel for LA and Bay Area pod
  • Removes odd compensation clause for UCLA to Cal
  • Bay area is large media market
  • Academic cred second to none
  • Olympic sports to pair with USC/UCLA
I realize everything is personal opinion, and I wish it weren’t the case, but CU is probably, at best, #6 on the B1G list behind Ore, W, Cal, Furd, and Notre Dame. You could make the case that Arizona and ASU are basically in a three way tie with CU for #6.

B1G would have to go to 24 for CU to get an invite in my opinion, but it’s all conjecture.

Last edited:
The B1G adding Stanford and Cal makes a lot of sense to me (unfortunately).
  • Complete ownership of California market with USC, UCL, Cal, and Furd.
  • Easiest travel for LA and Bay Area pod
  • Removes odd compensation clause for UCLA to Cal
  • Bay area is large media market
  • Academic cred second to none
  • Olympic sports to pair with USC/UCLA
I realize everything is personal opinion, and I wish it weren’t the case, but CU is probably, at best, #6 on the B1G list behind Ore, W, Cal, Furd, and Norte Dame. You could make the case that Arizona and ASU are basically in a three way tie with CU for #6.

B1G would have to go to 24 for CU to get an invite in my opinion, but it’s all conjecture.
Reportedly Notre Dame wants to keep their alliance with Stanford. That alone makes them valuable to the B1G. And Furd probably needs Cal.

Back