What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac 12 network / direct tv (PACN now on fuboTV streaming)

The School's Presidents make that decision. Just like the NFL with owners, the Presidents call the shots. I don't think they realize yet how far behind the Pac 12 is going to be without some changes in the near future.
Yeah, but the President's are not media experts. The commissioner's office prepares all the information, lays it out, makes a strong suggestion and then they vote on it.

The School's Presidents make that decision. Just like the NFL with owners, the Presidents call the shots. I don't think they realize yet how far behind the Pac 12 is going to be without some changes in the near future.
There are places where they will take the lead and make a different decision than the ADs would make. One example would be voting down an institution they didn't see as an academic peer even though it would be a great athletic addition to the conference. Another might be a desire to increase broadcast content of Olympic sports when the market says that this is a loss leader. But there are also areas where they will listen. And if we're talking distribution or licensing or something along those lines that is about increasing profits or outreach they will rubber stamp it.

Canceling Dtv Monday and going to Dish, had it with Directv.

Ask somebody here with Dish to PM you a discount code. Get each of you $60 off future bills. Worth the effort.

I liked Dish a lot until they tried jacking me around on customer service. Happened to be the same time as my local cable company (TDS) was offering some really good deals on packages and I wanted to upgrade my internet. Asked them if they had PAC12 Net, when they said yes I was gone.

Shuken needs to make it happen on PACN distribution. Ideally, it's a financial windfall by getting on DTV, streaming platforms and other carriers. But even if PACN becomes as widely distributed as possible and it's only revenue neutral due to adjusting rates for everyone it would still be a huge win for the conference based on what it would do for exposure, recruiting and the secondary revenues that would drive for PACN advertising rates and the licensing deal values for Pac-12 members (such as stadium naming rights, apparel, etc.). Then throw in what the exposure means for the university presidents when we're talking about athletics as self-liquidating advertising that drives applications. We all want to see revenue from the network to close some of the gap with the B1G & SEC, but there is a ton of value to broader distribution even if that doesn't happen.

Here's the conference press release:

Pac-12 Networks names Mark Shuken as new President
By Pac-12 Networks PR
Aug 14, 2017
Sports Media Veteran to Lead Next Phase of Growth for Pac-12 Networks
gettyimages-144165495_comp_1024__1502725705.jpg

Frederick M. Brown /Getty Images

SAN FRANCISCO – The Pac-12 Conference announced today the appointment of widely-respected sports media executive Mark Shuken as the new President of the Pac-12 Networks. Shuken, who will lead the next phase of growth for Pac-12 Networks, brings a track record of success in driving growth and value for sports networks to the new position, including having run sports networks for major media companies Time Warner Cable, DirecTV, Liberty Media and Fox Sports. Shuken is set to join the Pac-12 officially on September 6, 2017.

“Mark Shuken has consistently delivered growth across all areas of the sports media business and his track record of success and effective leadership makes him the right choice to take our Pac-12 Networks to the next level,” said Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott. “In a rapidly changing media landscape, Pac-12 Networks is well positioned to take advantage of new technologies, platforms and consumer habits, and Mark’s creative leadership skills and expertise will enable us to continue to best serve our fans and University members.”

“I am thrilled to join the Pac-12 Networks, which I believe have a great opportunity to reach new audiences and deliver even more value for our universities and student-athletes,” said Shuken. “The athletic departments in the Pac-12 and student-athletes deliver incredible sporting moments and championships year in and year out. I’m really excited to work with them to further the Pac-12 Networks’ best-in-class media platforms for our fans. The Pac-12 Networks wholly-owned model gives us a unique ability to innovate across digital and linear content, production, programming and distribution, and I’m looking forward to working closely with our Networks management team to explore new ways to do so.”

Prior to joining the Pac-12 Networks, Shuken served in a number of sports media leadership roles at major media companies, including having worked directly with many Pac-12 universities. At Time Warner Cable Sports Networks, Mark led the creation and branding of three regional sports networks for the Los Angeles Lakers, LA Dodgers and LA Galaxy. As President and CEO of DirecTV Sports Networks, he led branding, content, cross-promotional and acquisition strategies to increase asset value and subscriber acquisition. As President and CEO of Liberty Sports Group, Mark created and led the stand-alone division of regional sports networks and doubled revenues. Prior to that at Fox Sports Net Northwest, he was responsible for a significant increase in distribution, ratings and brand presence, including through innovative programming strategies and partnership agreements with both professional and collegiate teams. Previously, Shuken also served as President of Rivals Networks, a leading digital network of over 600 sports websites, where he increased gross revenues by 400% and entered into distribution deals with major digital media companies.

Since it’s launch in 2012, the Pac-12 Networks has delivered innovative and significantly increased national exposure for Pac-12 sports and student-athletes. The Pac-12 Networks serves as a showcase for Pac-12 Universities and supports efforts to attract the very best student-athletes to the conference, and field winning teams that win championships.

He left DirecTV in 2011. That could be a dog years effect with the acquisition by AT&T, etc., but here's hoping he has some juice with those guys.

He left DirecTV in 2011. That could be a dog years effect with the acquisition by AT&T, etc., but here's hoping he has some juice with those guys.
We thought being bought by AT&T would resolve this issue. Just sayin'.

I often read about how the wholly owned model allows the PAC to have more new and innovative technologies and distribution. Hopefully we don't just read that type of sentence anymore and they actually execute.

I often read about how the wholly owned model allows the PAC to have more new and innovative technologies and distribution. Hopefully we don't just read that type of sentence anymore and they actually execute.
Meanwhile other conferences are beating us to every other streaming platform while making more money...

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/08/...mpasse-part-two-of-the-pac-12-hotline-series/

AT&T, which has a carriage deal with the Pac-12 through U-verse and a wide-ranging sponsorship deal with the conference at large, acquired DirecTV in 2015.
Even that failed to end the impasse: AT&T’s proposal for DirecTV carriage was so one-sided that the Pac-12 presidents rejected it by a unanimous vote.
And here we are.
“‘I don’t expect any DirecTV carriage for the Pac-12 Networks,’’ a source said. “Once you don’t have a deal, and you don’t have one for years, life moves on.”

The Pac-12 Networks are always left with non-conference games involving FCS opponents and with the second-tier games once conference play begins.

That package of content has never been compelling enough to force enough DirecTV customers to switch, or threaten to switch, to a provider that carries the Pac-12 Networks.

SEC fans would erupt if they couldn’t watch their favorite team play Northern West Central Oklahoma State.

Pac-12 fans? Not so much.

We can harp on Larry Scott and the ditribution model, certainly plenty of blame to go around. The bottom line in all of this is quoted above, and especially the last 2 sentences.

Think about if a Broncos pre-season game, home or away, wasn't going to be televised because of distribution rules, or at the very least was threatened. Bronco Country would lose their **** over it. It'd be a statewide crisis(a bit tongue in cheek but not really). That kind of demand doesn't exist in the Pac-12 in the numbers it would take to matter. Both the Big 10 and SEC have to use both hands to count how many fan bases they have like that.

I'm more upset about the rationale being bull****. I could accept that having the conference own all its own content and be located in Silicon Valley nurturing those relationships along with having such great access to the movie industry talent in L.A. would set PACN up for innovation in content and distribution with emerging technologies, streaming services, etc. We've seen none of that. Worse, there are new streaming deals and apps that carry other conference networks but don't have PACN. It has been an abject failure.

That article sort of highlighted why I believe the Big-12 will be picked apart in 2024, those Texas schools are much more valuable to the other conferences than they are to the Big-12. Houston would add a whole **** ton of money to the Pac-12 too.

Meh. So the direct TV deal wasn't done. That's not what pisses me off. Satellite and cable are dying, why is Sling the only online provider that carries Pac 12 networks? Hulu, YouTube, PS, WTF?

I'm more upset about the rationale being bull****. I could accept that having the conference own all its own content and be located in Silicon Valley nurturing those relationships along with having such great access to the movie industry talent in L.A. would set PACN up for innovation in content and distribution with emerging technologies, streaming services, etc. We've seen none of that. Worse, there are new streaming deals and apps that carry other conference networks but don't have PACN. It has been an abject failure.

Kind of feels like the powers that be thought they could outsmart the competition somehow.

Back