What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac 12 network / direct tv (PACN now on fuboTV streaming)

By Jon Wilner Bay Area News Group
Originally published August 26, 2017 at 8:00 am Updated August 28, 2017 at 11:56 am

I spent years trying to locate Derek Chang, to no avail, and eventually gave up trying. But a tip from a source this summer — ”Last I heard, he’s in Singapore” — re-started the search and led me, eventually, to Chang. [Who was] executive vice president for content strategy for DirecTV (i.e., it lead negotiator) prior to the launch of the Pac-12 Networks.

Turns out, Chang does not hate the Pac-12. In fact, he’s a Stanford business school grad who took endless heat from classmates for not signing a carriage deal with the conference.

The account below is based on interviews with Chang, Scott and numerous other Hotline sources with direct knowledge of the Pac-12 Networks’ negotiations with DirecTV (and other distributors) during the pre- and post-launch windows.

On May 3, the conference unveiled the $3 billion Tier 1 deal with ESPN and Fox — and, behind the scenes, immediately began courting partners for what would become the Pac-12 Networks.

First stop: Mr. Derek Chang. “If you’re going to launch a national network, the best place to start is with a satellite provider,’’ said a source with knowledge of the Pac-12’s strategy. “(The Pac-12) started with Chang and said, ‘We’d like you to be our partner. Buy from us wholesale so you don’t have to pay the retail rate.’ This was long before there were any substantive discussions with the cable companies.

“Derek said no. He probably thought they would have a hard time getting off the ground and didn’t want to drive up the cost.”

When viewed from DirecTV’s perspective, Chang had good reason for balking: Programming costs were soaring, affecting the margins for distributors. “We were trying to hold the line,’’ he said.

And to an extent, DirecTV was already paying for the Pac-12 content. The $3 billion outlay by ESPN and Fox would, over the 12-year deal, be passed on to the distributors (like DirecTV, Comcast, etc.) in the form of increased subscriber fees. Now the conference, in the form of a direct partnership with the Pac-12 Networks, was asking DirecTV to pay for the second-tier content, as well.

“The packaging not quite right initially,’’ Chang said.

So the Pac-12 moved on. In late July (still 2011), Scott announced the creation of the Pac-12 Networks with four founding partners from the cable realm: Time Warner, Comcast, Bright House and Cox would guaranteed the Pac-12 cash upfront (to pay for the launch costs), annual income and initial carriage into millions of homes.

But the cable connection added stress to the DirecTV discussions during the year-long run-up to the launch. “They did a deal with Time Warner (and others), and that boxed them in, and it boxed us in,’’ Chang said. “The way the deal was structured, the MFN, the packaging, how it was carried — it was difficult to get comfortable with.”

The key letters in that comment: MFN. They stand for Most Favored Nation, the term used to describe a model for structuring carriage deals. MFNs guarantee the same fees for all distributors of given a content package, regardless of when they come on the scene. (One source said MFNs are a way of making sure the initial carriage partner doesn’t look like a schmuck when subsequent deals are cut.)

The pressure for a deal increased by the day. The Pac-12 seemingly had one option: Eliminate subscriber fees for DirecTV’s customers in the the Tier 3 zone (outside the footprint). But because of the MFN, it would have been forced to do the same for all subscribers on all systems. Concerned that the business model would sustain long-term damage, the conference declined, according to two sources.

But another person with knowledge of the negotiations downplayed the significance of that issue: “DirecTV was looking for ways not to carry it.”

One week into the 2012 season, the Pac-12 signed a carriage deal with DirecTV’s primary competitor, DISH, which, crucially, had a different subscriber base. “DISH has more of its customers out west, so it worked for them,’’ a source said. “The out-of-market issue wasn’t as big of a concern for them.”

At that point, one week into the season, DirecTV assessed the response of its customers: How many would cancel, or threaten to cancel, if the satellite provider did not carry the Pac-12 Networks? The company would have to be pushed to the tipping point, where it would lose enough in subscriber fees to make a deal with the Pac-12 Networks — something in the neighborhood of $40 million – $50 million annually — worthwhile.

The ongoing stalemate suggests that point was never reached.

One reason — perhaps the reason: Content. The conference’s Tier 1 deal is structured in a manner that gives Fox and ESPN the premium football games: As soon as the schedule is released, each network selects two games for broadcast. In other words, the Pac-12 Networks never have access to the four best matchups in any given season — the games that could be used as leverage.

The rest at the link...

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...-of-the-pac-12-networks-impasse-with-directv/

Last edited:
The Csu game is still gonna be on that Cbs channel yes? Dish isn't coming to my place till Monday.
It's on Pac12 Network

Luke, if you have a broadband connection of some kind you sign up for a free 7 day trial of Sling TV. Just dont forget to cancel it or you will be charged. If you have a smart TV with an internet connect the sling App is usually pre installed. Same with any Amazon TV device or Apple TV.

All you need to give them is email, password, and credit card info. Id do it today so you are comfortable with how it works because its confusing at first.

I have to assume the Pac 12 strategy is to play the long game waiting for streaming services to force ESPN and the dish companies into Bankruptcy, relieving them from their ridiculous media contracts then watching all the other conferences implode.

I keep opening this thread hoping it is good news. I should know better.

What constitutes good news? That we sell our soul to get on a declining DirecTV. Because we dont have the clout of being bundled with ESPN or to a lessor degree Fox we will never negotiate the rate SEC or B1G gets. So, exposure!

Im not going back to DTV. Ever. So it doesnt really matter to me either way.

Anyone have fuboTV? This looks like a good option. They just announced a Pac-12 Networks deal today.

Pac-12 Network to be available to subscribers of entry-level “Fubo Premier” package
All six Pac-12 Networks regional channels to be available in “Sports Plus” add-on package

SAN FRANCISCO AND NEW YORK – Pac-12 Networks announced today a multi-year partnership with fuboTV, the leading sports-first live streaming TV service. As part of the agreement, Pac-12 Network, the Networks’ primary national channel, is now available to all subscribers of “Fubo Premier” at no extra charge. fuboTV’s base package, Fubo Premier includes more than 70 channels, including more sports than any similar bundle from any other streaming TV provider.

In addition, all six of Pac-12 Networks’ regional channels are also now available to fuboTV subscribers as part of its “Sports Plus” add-on package. The launch of Pac-12 Networks on fuboTV coincides with the start of the Networks’ coverage of 2017 Pac-12 football, which begins with two games later today.

The first three weeks of football will see several top matchups on Pac-12 Networks, including Colorado vs. Colorado State on Friday, Sept. 1, USC’s home-opener against Western Michigan on Saturday, Sept. 2, UCLA vs. Hawaii from the Rose Bowl on Saturday, Sept. 9, Washington State vs. Oregon State on Saturday, Sept. 16 and Washington vs. Fresno State also on Saturday, Sept. 16. In total, Pac-12 Networks will feature 11 of the Conference’s 12 universities and nine home-openers over the first three weeks.

“We’re thrilled to make the Pac-12 Networks’ full portfolio of content available to fuboTV subscribers, including the 850 live events to be broadcast as part of the 2017-2018 season,” said Alden Budill, Pac-12 Networks Senior Vice President / Head of Distribution & Partner Marketing. “We look forward to working with fuboTV to bring our compelling content to even more fans across the country.”

A provider of Internet-based, over-the-top (OTT) television, fuboTV offers some of the world’s most popular live sports and entertainment content. The service brings subscribers access to regional, national and international networks via TVs, tablets, mobile devices and computers. As its base package, fuboTV’s “Fubo Premier” is currently available to customers for $34.99 per month; “Sports Plus” is available as an add-on.

“We’re excited to add Pac-12 Networks – including some of the top college sports competition in the country – to our industry-leading, sports-first offering,” said Ben Grad, fuboTV head of North American content strategy and acquisition. “For fans looking to watch their favorite team on Pac-12 Networks, no one else can match the value and experience that fuboTV provides.”

In total, Pac-12 Networks will air 15 Pac-12 football games over the Conference’s first three weeks of the season and 35 overall on the year. More information on fuboTV, including a channel line-up and pricing options, is available at fubo.tv/welcome/channels. More information on Pac-12 Networks’ schedule of live events is available at Pac-12.com.

http://pac-12.com/article/2017/08/30/pac-12-networks-announces-multi-year-partnership-fubotv

Once FuboTV adds ESPN to the lineup I would be in. I primarily only watch live sports on TV as it is. Fubo, once ESPN is added, would have one of the best sports offerings available.

Used fubo to watch OSU-CSU recently. SlingTV is the better deal at this point but if you want to watch MWC and Pac-12 sports, this is your best choice. And I know almost no Buff fan would be interested in that.

Hopefully the MWC will be on a better platform once they renew their media rights deals.

Once FuboTV adds ESPN to the lineup I would be in. I primarily only watch live sports on TV as it is. Fubo, once ESPN is added, would have one of the best sports offerings available.
Agreed. It needs the ESPNs.

Right now it looks to be $34.99/m.

The key letters in that comment: MFN. They stand for Most Favored Nation, the term used to describe a model for structuring carriage deals. MFNs guarantee the same fees for all distributors of given a content package, regardless of when they come on the scene. (One source said MFNs are a way of making sure the initial carriage partner doesn’t look like a schmuck when subsequent deals are cut.)

The pressure for a deal increased by the day. The Pac-12 seemingly had one option: Eliminate subscriber fees for DirecTV’s customers in the the Tier 3 zone (outside the footprint). But because of the MFN, it would have been forced to do the same for all subscribers on all systems. Concerned that the business model would sustain long-term damage, the conference declined, according to two sources.

But another person with knowledge of the negotiations downplayed the significance of that issue: “DirecTV was looking for ways not to carry it.”

Thanks for the link. Interesting article. Looks like a key component adding to DTV's cost was how out of market subs were priced. Even at the quoted rate of $0.10/mo for out of market, that would cost DTV $18 million/yr. Out of market, cable companies would just add the P12Net to their sports tiers, or not include at all, which have much lower payments due to much fewer subs. Would have been interesting to see if DTV would have bit by throwing in out of market tier 3 for free, with the stipulation it would be on the basic tier everywhere. I don't see much lost revenue for the P12 from the cable companies because again they are not including P12Net on basic cable (or even the first level of upgraded cable) in out of market areas.

What I am saying is the 'in market' dollars from DTV would be significant and that would be in addition to cable dollars. On top of that, you'd get the net out there for everyone to see.

Last edited:
Anyone have fuboTV? This looks like a good option. They just announced a Pac-12 Networks deal today.
Here are my quick notes in the cord cutter thread.

Adding P12 makes it a better value for sure. I'm actually not going to cancel after my 7 day free preview (I was planning on canceling and picking up sling well, tonight). The MWC has another couple games against P12 opponents this month on CBSSN that I kind of want to watch (Oregon at Wyoming I'm really curious to watch).

After September, I'll re-evaluate.

Adding P12 makes it a better value for sure. I'm actually not going to cancel after my 7 day free preview (I was planning on canceling and picking up sling well, tonight). The MWC has another couple games against P12 opponents this month on CBSSN that I kind of want to watch (Oregon at Wyoming I'm really curious to watch).

Thanks. From what I'm seeing from fubo's lineup, if they can get a deal struck with Disney for ABC/ESPN and with TNT/TBS for NBA coverage, they have everything else I care about. Considering the way they're positioning themselves as a sports platform, I expect those to happen (along with NFL Network).

Thanks. From what I'm seeing from fubo's lineup, if they can get a deal struck with Disney for ABC/ESPN and with TNT/TBS for NBA coverage, they have everything else I care about. Considering the way they're positioning themselves as a sports platform, I expect those to happen (along with NFL Network).
If fubo gets ESPN, I drop Sling back to Orange/1 stream only and then have Fubo with way more sports coverage for the same price as Sling Blue + Orange + Sports Extra it looks like.

I don't know if DirecTV will ever happen. But what PACN needs to do is focus on the others where we are not available.

YouTube TV, Playstation Vue, Hulu, Apple TV, Amazon Fire, Xbox One, etc. need to be the focus right now. fuboTV was a great start.

I don't know if DirecTV will ever happen. But what PACN needs to do is focus on the others where we are not available.

YouTube TV, Playstation Vue, Hulu, Apple TV, Amazon Fire, Xbox One, etc. need to be the focus right now. fuboTV was a great start.
Get Pac-12 Net on every over the top option and allow independent subscriptions where there is no regular TV option.

Back