What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac-12 Network is restructuring

The problem I had with the PAC12MTN on my Xfinity lineup is that it is not HD. No one wants to watch a blurry picture on their 4K tv. I usually cast from my iPad content I want to see from the Pac-12 app.

The problem I had with the PAC12MTN on my Xfinity lineup is that it is not HD. No one wants to watch a blurry picture on their 4K tv. I usually cast from my iPad content I want to see from the Pac-12 app.
I only have my HD channels in my guide so I forget how to find P12 Mountain. And I don't even have good TVs (they're old HD tech) because I'm too cheap to justify replacing when my flat screens still work after 10ish years.

I only have my HD channels in my guide so I forget how to find P12 Mountain. And I don't even have good TVs (they're old HD tech) because I'm too cheap to justify replacing when my flat screens still work after 10ish years.

I find myself looking in awe at the picture sometimes. It is so crystal clear. Makes fighting traffic, crowds and drunks obsolete.

That's where I see things going too and I sincerely hope the P12N becomes the sole channel for all things P12 as long as CU is getting the $ that others are getting.

I dont think they will make enough as a stand alone unless they charge $10-20 a month. Such a channel would only attract alums and die hard fans. Plus that wrecks the idea behind an exposure model.

The other guys are making larger sums because they are packaged with the ESPN deal. DTV isnt gonna to say no to ESPN. Its all or nothing. And that arrangement forces the ~100 million tv service subscribers to pay towards their conference. Thats why were not making as much as they are.

Again, we were the 2nd channel to come online after the Big10. I wonder who know what and when between 2006 and 2011 about how this was going to work. Truth be told it was the SEC Network deal in 2014 that really changed the game.

Oops.

You've definitely distinguished yourself as one of the few who actually follow links to read the articles. :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, except now I clicked on the quoted link (which obviously doesn't work). Then went back and found your original post and clicked on that link, too - without seeing the real damn source! :mad::LOL:

Oops.

You've definitely distinguished yourself as one of the few who actually follow links to read the articles. :ROFLMAO:

Knowledge will set you free. In truth, I wish there was a breakout of what each conference is distributing as revenue from their network. So we could have a fair and balanced argument.

If he was going to accidentally cut and paste a source that was not the one he wanted while he multi-tasked, I was hoping for something WAY more interesting than Chief Wahoo.

834d39bf46e2ab0cebe853bd10e9e32f.jpg

When it comes to branding, marketing, and the overall picture of CU, maybe we can lean on one of our most successful sponsors, Weathertech. After all their marketing budget is larger than many third world nations, and they know a little bit about how to get attention. I wonder if anyone from CU, or the PAC-12 has asked anyone outside their sphere of influence, "How would you do this?"

I dont think they will make enough as a stand alone unless they charge $10-20 a month. Such a channel would only attract alums and die hard fans. Plus that wrecks the idea behind an exposure model.

The other guys are making larger sums because they are packaged with the ESPN deal. DTV isnt gonna to say no to ESPN. Its all or nothing. And that arrangement forces the ~100 million tv service subscribers to pay towards their conference. Thats why were not making as much as they are.

Again, we were the 2nd channel to come online after the Big10. I wonder who know what and when between 2006 and 2011 about how this was going to work. Truth be told it was the SEC Network deal in 2014 that really changed the game.

You are correct - right now it appears the mistake was for the PAC 12 to build their own network instead of partnering with someone like ESPN. The reason Fox is selling a lot of their assets to Disney is because they believe the new model for consumption of content will be Over the top streaming and they needs to be done at scale and FOX did not believe they have the scale. If Fox does not have the scale to compete in the streaming world then the PAC 12 network certainly does not, but it may be an attractive purchase target when the present contracts expire.

Part 2 of the wilner interview with the new P12 network president. Great read.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/03...-programming-hd-vs-sd-and-distribution-plans/

This jumped out at me re primacy of Football/basketball.

Question: Will football take a greater place of primacy in the Pac-12 Networks’ universe? (That would include moving the first-rate preview show out of its current, somewhat inaccessible window on Friday night.)
Shuken: “We’re going to be focused on greater access, period, and the focus will be early on in the football space — not only on all platforms, but earlier in the week, and with greater depth and storytelling.

“We’re really going to be emphasizing our resources around that and start that much earlier in the week in football season and run it through beyond the game — that’s a core element of where we’re going this fall.”
He later noted: “The member institutions and the athletic directors have articulated that, for many reasons, football and men’s basketball should be the drivers of audience reach and impact.
“And yet, just as importantly, the mission of the conference and the networks and the 850 lives events, at the expense of revenue, was gender equality.
“The presidents and the schools designed this model for gender equity and understood that (would mean) foregoing revenue, unapologetically. We are proud of that mission, and it’s written in stone.”
So, expect progress, but it's not going to be what it needs to be, because the marching orders are most definitely in from the presidents that revenue is NOT the top priority.

Overall take is that this guy is in two straitjackets: 1) Presidents have laid down the law as to just how far he can go in making revenue a top priority; and 2) The network & distribution model/ existing deals. (i.e., 1 national, 6 regional + existing distribution contracts)

Between those two, I think you see improvement in content, but not as far as it needs to go. On distribution, it will improve on the streaming side, but that's it.

Fundamentally, this is not a personnel & org chart problem. The vision is fatally flawed.

As some on 247 pointed out, PACN showed a women’s tennis rerun on football signing day. That’s been the PACN philosophy, leading to these stupid regional networks and programming that isn’t designed to maximize eyeballs/revenue.
Bingo, no Soccer Mom sport replays. Focus on the revenue sports.

“The presidents and the schools designed this model for gender equity and understood that (would mean) foregoing revenue, unapologetically. We are proud of that mission, and it’s written in stone.”

God, why Wisconsin?
I know @TSchekler can speak for himself, but for me, it's hard to stop being a UW-Midwest fan.

I grew up in the Badger state but left when I was 9. I tried to give them up when I went to VT, but that didn't work. I tried again after moving to Colorado and adopting the Buffs, but that didn't work either.

Wisconsin wins the B1G in football or men's hoops every other year. They compete on the national stage in men's and women's hoops, m & w hockey and volleyball. They have top tier academics, and very little history of NCAA trouble or other scandals.

and UW players tend to stick around for 4 years, so being a fan, you actually get to watch your favorite players develop and shine.

it's hard to quit on a winner. even harder to one that does it right.

and every time my dad sees me, I get a new piece of UW apparel that's nicer quality than any VT or CU stuff I'd buy myself.

I guess the Pac-12 is stuck with what media rights they have until 2024. It's so nice to have some closure but it's very disappointing and I'm going to look into following other conferences in addition to CU. The excitement of joining the PAC really has worn off.

Shuken: “We’re going to be focused on greater access, period, and the focus will be early on in the football space — not only on all platforms, but earlier in the week, and with greater depth and storytelling.
“We’re really going to be emphasizing our resources around that and start that much earlier in the week in football season and run it through beyond the game — that’s a core element of where we’re going this fall.”

does this mean more Thursday night games?

Back