What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Participation trophies up next for CU

and, another thing, while i'm on a roll:

you ****s calling this a participation trophy are mean-spirited, soulless, ****-faces and you should probably stop following college football. go after paid professional athletes. taking your own limp-dicked issues out on a bunch of kids who did a great job and achieved something special on behalf of all of us is ****ed up.

die.in.a.fire.

The scholarship players are paid, paid very well. In the current world of college football, they should be getting real paychecks to play too.

This isn't about the current players for you. This is about you. So in honor of Liver, I present all the long suffering fans their own participation trophy.

Participation-Trophies.jpg

and, another thing, while i'm on a roll:

you ****s calling this a participation trophy are mean-spirited, soulless, ****-faces and you should probably stop following college football. go after paid professional athletes. taking your own limp-dicked issues out on a bunch of kids who did a great job and achieved something special on behalf of all of us is ****ed up.

die.in.a.fire.

Friday night drunk Liver is the best Liver.

Big Jim's mom endorses this statement.

what a ****ing horrible take. you must be tons of fun at parties.

first, try, if you can, to remember a little history.

barnett sticks his foot in his mouth and all hell breaks loose and the program lights its own self on fire. our hapless administrators set restrictions that ensure failure. after doing with smoke and mirrors until he couldn't any longer, gb gets fired.

CU hires an absolutely ridiculously comedically over-rated dan hawkins. we think we're getting the brains (the oc, pederson) but he stays to take the hc job at boise. dumb **** danny didn't do much right at CU but he did get it right when he said the program was burned to the ground. that is a fact.

the juice-box gets run out when his happy-happy-joy-joy routine isn't enough to overcome the mounting failures in program building.

then, we make possibly the worst hiring decision in the history of CU football and install a good and honorable and loyal Buff, embree, in the job. what was a "burned to the ground" program nearly immediately became a smoking abyss of abject failure, the likes of which CU football had never, ever experienced before, even under the maligned chuck fairbanks.

we are, at this point, by every statistical measure that matters, the worst major program in the p5. perhaps you missed some of those games. i was, sadly, at many of them, including the roadies. i would have given a pinky toe to raise fairbanks from the grave to coach, because this was literally the lowest point in over 100 years of CU football. again, i like and respect embree. that doesn't mean he was a good hire.

so, this brings us to mm. think about what it took to achieve what his team achieved last season. think about the magnitude of the turn-around. think about the price those players paid to buy in and do EVERYTHING they could to win, even when our Buffs were often not the most athletic team on the field.

with all this in mind, now, begrudge them a small token of appreciation for a collective job well done. denigrate the astounding progress made and the players who made it happen. man, that's ****ed up.

I don't know. Why should history matter in this decision? It's either a good idea. Or not.

I don't know. Why should history matter in this decision? It's either a good idea. Or not.
Why should history matter? You mean, taking into account the state the program was in when these kids committed and then winning the PAC-12 South 4 years later with a top 25 ranking....

Why should history matter?

You are absurd.

Why should history matter? You mean, taking into account the state the program was in when these kids committed and then winning the PAC-12 South 4 years later with a top 25 ranking....

You are absurd.

So if CU wins the South and loses the conference championship game you'll view rings differently next season?

So if CU wins the South and loses the conference championship game you'll view rings differently next season?
If the team wants to get rings after winning the division next year (or in any year) then so be it. It's their accomplishment and they can do what they want. Is it any different than teams that get rings for winning a bowl game?

You are absurd.

Let's say they win the P12S the next four years. Do they get rings every year?

Let's say they win the P12S the next four years. Do they get rings every year?
If they want them, sure. My guess is the players probably wouldn't want them if they win the South but lose in the P12 CG again next year, but why do you guys care if they do?

If the team wants to get rings after winning the division next year (or in any year) then so be it. It's their accomplishment and they can do what they want. Is it any different than teams that get rings for winning a bowl game?

This very much puts it in perspective.

AYU_0311.jpg

Which is more worthy of celebrating, a 10 win season and a division championship or going to the Foster Farm's Bowl with a 5-7 record and taking home this trophy. They have it in a trophy case and they got rings as well.

By the way Minnesota and San Jose State did the same thing that year.

If they want them, sure. My guess is the players probably wouldn't want them if they win the South but lose in the P12 CG again next year, but why do you guys care if they do?

It sets an expectation for a standard of excellence. I personally believe those sacred, bound by meeting objectives and not tied to history.

Maybe they met it this year. I don't know. I guess a goal was met to win the P12S. Or maybe the goal was to play in the P12 championship game. I hope that was not the ultimate goal though.

I do not think this should be a player's decision. It is a coaching staff decision in my opinion.

It sets an expectation for a standard of excellence. I personally believe those sacred, bound by meeting objectives and not tied to history.

Maybe they met it this year. I don't know. I guess a goal was met to win the P12S. Or maybe the goal was to play in the P12 championship game. I hope that was not the ultimate goal though.

I do not think this should be a player's decision. It is a coaching staff decision in my opinion.
What kind of expectation for a standard of excellence has this program had in the last decade? It's a process for a team like CU that has been as low as they have for as long as they have. There is nothing wrong with celebrating a 10 win, division championship season, even if they fell short of their ultimate goal.

As I said before, I imagine the players probably won't care for division champs rings now that a standard has been established and the bar raised, but even if they do, who cares?

The anti-participation trophy crowd sure is getting antsy when they start complaining about rewarding actual accomplishments. I don't really understand the narrative about millennials and participation trophies, last I checked the dumbass adults were the ones giving them out. Also the same people who loved to tell kids about how everyone's a snowflake. You're just ****ty parents, luckily they never actually thought they were snowflakes or thought participation trophies were an accomplishment. When I played sports as a kid, no one cared about the trophies, and all kids wanted to do was win the championship, so we did.

I don't really understand the narrative about millennials and participation trophies, last I checked the dumbass adults were the ones giving them out. Also the same people who loved to tell kids about how everyone's a snowflake. You're just ****ty parents, luckily they never actually thought they were snowflakes or thought participation trophies were an accomplishment. When I played sports as a kid, no one cared about the trophies, and all kids wanted to do was win the championship, so we did.

Excellent clarification, it is the baby boomers that ****ed up the millennial generation.

Back