What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Passing

For those not happy with Sefo's play yesterday, he had the second highest passer rating of any PAC 12 QB. He came in at 165.9, which was just above Falk (163.7) and below the leader Keller Christ (194.5).

The complaints are because it should have been higher and not just in the "aunt had balls" way either. He missed two very easy throws to wide open receivers behind the defense while scrambling. One to Shay and another to Lindsay I think. He threw both short when the receiver had around 3 yards of space. Can't do those things.

For those not happy with Sefo's play yesterday, he had the second highest passer rating of any PAC 12 QB. He came in at 165.9, which was just above Falk (163.7) and below the leader Keller Christ (194.5).
How about QBR? I think Sefo played ok, we just want perfection. We shall bitch if not given perfection.

Agree with those who note that we statistically are closer to the top of the PAC than the bottom.

Still could be more consistent though.

Part is that we don't use the middle of the field. We act like the TE is not an eligible receiver, teams don't even bother to worry about our TEs. Other than JMac our WRs don't do much in the middle of the field either. We had a couple plays last night when they sent Ross to the middle and he was wide open. Another with Fields that was underthrown but still that shouldn't have been dropped that could have scored had he held on.

Last night for much of the game Sefo was getting early pressure and the receivers weren't coming open early enough. A healthier OL would have helped that.

Is that true?

The starting left tackle did not play due to the flu. He lost 12 pounds during the week. He was in uniform, only in case of an emergency. Another starter has a tweaked shoulder. He was also in uniform, but they didn't play him.

The starting left tackle did not play due to the flu. He lost 12 pounds during the week. He was in uniform, only in case of an emergency. Another starter has a tweaked shoulder. He was also in uniform, but they didn't play him.

Basically, we had backups at both OT spots and both our starting OGs were a bit hobbled - with one of them weakened by the flu. Someone on Scout said it looked like Sean Irwin wasn't in there at TE either, which also significantly impacts our blocking.

Starting to feel more and more like this was a week that they just had to gut it out and move on despite not being able to fire on all cylinders.

Mission accomplished.

I feel like the passing game has been feast or famine in several games this year.

Part of the issue with the offense right now is tempo. We seem to avoid it for large stretches.
I think tempo is DC's thing...not BL's...so it is inconsistent at best.

Does anyone think we've slowed down tempo offensively because we know we can grind it out and win games with our defense?

I'm ok with that. I do think that up tempo really helps early in the game and I hope we don't abandon it.

Man, I don't know about that. I've seen a disturbing decline in OL play for a few weeks now and it's coincided with the decline in Liufau's performance.

Man, I don't know about that. I've seen a disturbing decline in OL play for a few weeks now and it's coincided with the decline in Liufau's performance.
The "decline" you saw versus Stanford and UCLA was based on the talent those teams had on "D". Gary Barnett said UCLA was the most talented defense CU faced all year. Stanford was not far behind. Re: AZ; Lindsay noted they ran all sorts of new stuff they hadn't used before. Lots of different blitzes, etc. And the O-line was make-shift due to injury and illness.
I'll take 49 points from a "declining" offense any day.

Last edited:
Glad I wasn't in his vicinity. I can't even imagine a 300+ pounder with explosive diarrhea.

But why slow tempo, especially at home? A gassed opponent sounds good to me.
You give your opponent free possessions. So there is some risk/reward with the uptempo.

I personally love the uptempo, but if you can get a lead and maintain it while shortening the game, that's a very smart strategy.

One thing for sure, Sefo throws one helluva deep ball. I just want to see more in the 15 yard range. Also, Sefo, I thought, took a couple of bad sacks.

You are spot on! Sefo throws the ball deep and down the sideline with more accuracy than any college QB I can remember. His career stats are filled with those bombs, he definitely has a great feel deep. However, he struggles to throw slants and short across the middle, most of those throws are in front of, behind, below or over the head of the receivers. That is my only knock on him, besides not moving in the pocket well enough to avoid some of those sacks. But it is difficult to validate those struggles when his QBR is high due primarily to those long sideline receptions and TD's. It's a good problem to have when there are areas to fix yet your are scoring 49 points.

I went back and checked. 23 Top 25 teams played this past weekend. Sefo was 7th in passer rating among those 23 teams.

Could he do better? Of course! Every player has opportunities for more consistency and better decision making. My point is, he had a very good game. Any comments on opportunities for improvement should be positioned as taking very good to great, not mediocre to something better.

Up-tempo needs to be done in certain spots because I am not sure we are good enough/healthy enough to just grind it out for four quarters.

Problem is we don't have the depth. Gas ourselves and then face a serious drop-off with either playing tired starters or back-ups who are a notable step down in ability.

One thing I would like to see us do with our up-tempo is catch some defenses before they are set or even before they are on-sides. Sometimes you can't because the official holds up play but we have had other times when it seemed like we were just waiting for them to set. Take the penalty or take advantage of a guy not ready or in position.

Sefo is experienced enough that he should be able to call the ready and do it. I'd also like to see him use cadence to try to pull defenses off-sides sometimes as well. Easier way to get the first down then sending a beat up QB smashing into LBs for 3 yards.

I went back and checked. 23 Top 25 teams played this past weekend. Sefo was 7th in passer rating among those 23 teams.

Could he do better? Of course! Every player has opportunities for more consistency and better decision making. My point is, he had a very good game. Any comments on opportunities for improvement should be positioned as taking very good to great, not mediocre to something better.
and that pick was a true lucky az bounce. Not really on Sefo.

Back