What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Phil Steele's Preseason B12 List

If we have two first team all big 12 lineman and can't run the ball or pass block again, I dunno.

Miller as a first team selection and Deehan as second-team selection, those are major stretches IMO. Happy to see McKnight get some well-earned respect though.

As far as his picks as a whole, DeMarco Murray as a first-team All American is a major leap of faith.

wow...doesn't say much about our talent on defense...hope he's wrong as he kind of has been over the past three years when it comes to our team.

Miller as 1st team guard, I’m guessing that is based on how he handled Suh in the last game. If Miller plays like that in every game he will destroy lesser DT’s. Hopefully, Miller has fully made the transition from tackle to guard. I remember him having a slow start to the transition in the CSU game, where he missed a few assignments and didn’t fully turn the corner on when he pulled out to lead runs. IF (big if) this actually came true I think it would help our offense by leaps and bounds. A LT can basically be put on an island, never yield a sack, control the edge, and if the rest of the o-line is bad the team will still do poorly. If an inside guy is also dominating, the line as a whole will be lifted to a higher level (If missed/blown assignments are fixed). I was initially excited last year when Denver Johnson said he wanted to get the 5 best guys on the field last year. Then when I watched how they were unable to communicate with one another in the beginning it I was frustrated. It seems like this spring everyone stayed in position, and guys learned assignments and how to communicate with one another (It also helped that they weren’t going against inexperienced linemen who were also learning what to do). If we actually have two Big 12 1st team linemen our total sacks should be ¼ of last year and our yards per carry should increase by 1.25.
Deehan and McKnight will have the potential for great seasons if other teams really respect Simas/Simmons/Clemons/Jefferson on the outside. If our o-line blocks well (i.e. 2 first team linemen) and opposing teams need to use LB’s to bring pressure/stop the run while safeties have to shift to help their CB’s, then the slot WR and TE should have great numbers.
Unfortunately I think this list is a best case scenario for the Buffs on offense. If this were to happen I would say we are scoring 10 more points per game than last year, and have 4-6 more wins. Again, this is a best case scenario for us.
As for the defense only having two guys listed, I don’t think Phil is going to put guys like Kasa and Major on based solely on potential. Those are two guys who could easily find their way on the list, which would help out the D.

Sad thing is this is an above average offense on paper with Hansen at QB, great talent and depth on the line and WR position and average rb's. Yet we will probably still be near dead last in total O again.

I honestly feel like we can have all 5 of our offensive lineman be 1st team Big 12, but until they start to play as a unit, the team won't win.

I personally asked Phil about Hawkins. He really thought Hawk would bring CU back to being a confrence contender, however at the end of last season he was surprised he was retained.

I know there are lots of good RB's, but I am kind of surprised that Speedy didn't make it anywhere.

Back