What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Polamalu may be available

When Kennedy Pola was at CU he was not that popular with the fan base. He would be in the bars in Boulder and would always be telling/bragging to anyone who would listen how great USC was and this is while he was on the CU payroll. This was discussed in length on the message boards back in those days (dialup). CU's running game was going into the tank while he was at CU in 97 and 98 which also made him unpopular. There are a lot of other guys out there I would rather have. There is nothing in his resume that excites me. Neu did not want to take him to Washington with him when he left CU. He was never considered a polished recruiter.

The revisionist history is fun though...

On the reality side of the ledger - Carson Palmer was a long shot with CU and anyone else that was not USC. Neuheisel's sideline antics with Hesseler had killed a lot of his rep as a QB guru.

You are correct about Kennedy Pola when he was previously at Colorado. Colorado's running game was going downhill under Neuheisel. Pola replaced backs coach Ben Gregory who had passed away and then line coach Terry Lewis was let go.

You are correct about Kennedy Pola when he was previously at Colorado. Colorado's running game was going downhill under Neuheisel. Pola replaced backs coach Ben Gregory who had passed away and then line coach Terry Lewis was let go.

Terry Lewis was not the problem although I think those two had philosophical differences. Namely, Rick would abandon the running game after one defensive stop and just start winging it all over. Rick also was not that enamoured with "nasty" lineman (bizzare in my unbiased opinion). That was OK when he had Detmer throwing it to Carruth with a bunch of ugly "nasties" in front of him. Not OK when Mac's talent ran out. Bottom line is, you need guys who like to fight in order to run the ball. When you punish people for fighting repeatedly in practice (I am a bit biased here), you send the wrong message.

Terry Lewis was not the problem although I think those two had philosophical differences. Namely, Rick would abandon the running game after one defensive stop and just start winging it all over. Rick also was not that enamoured with "nasty" lineman (bizzare in my unbiased opinion). That was OK when he had Detmer throwing it to Carruth with a bunch of ugly "nasties" in front of him. Not OK when Mac's talent ran out. Bottom line is, you need guys who like to fight in order to run the ball. When you punish people for fighting repeatedly in practice (I am a bit biased here), you send the wrong message.
This post makes me happy.

It is hard to gauge how Polamalu would do in his second stint under a different coach. I think Nueheisel deserves most of the blame for the problems with our running game.
I don't know Polamalu from Adam other than he has recruited well at U$C and his players seemed to like him a lot. Plus, maybe now he will not be boasting so much about U$C the Kiffin-led Trojans.

I liked Terry Lewis. What I meant was that letting Lewis go was a problem. I thought he was a pretty good line coach and thought letting him go was a big mistake. I didn't know him, but saw how the Buffs ran the ball and how the offensive linemen played when he was coaching. I was very disappointed with Neuheisel when he let Lewis go. I very much agree with you regarding tough/nasty linemen. Those guys are the foundation of an offense.

Last edited:
Back