What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Poll #3 How do feel about the hire of Mel Tucker

How excited are you

• Frickin so excited I can barely believe it!

Votes: 42 33.6%
  • Our Beloved leader RG Slams it out of the park

Votes: 67 53.6%
  • This is not a Hope hire or a guess, this is a game changer

Votes: 46 36.8%
  • I’m breaking out the good stuff

Votes: 45 36.0%
  • I can’t wait to see this guy clean it up.

Votes: 38 30.4%
  • I feel like we are not going to have anymore crying on the sidelines

Votes: 36 28.8%
  • Just an OK hire (I’m an Idiot)

Votes: 9 7.2%

• Total voters
Yes. Do you take just one game to assess everything?
His team ranks dead last in the SEC over the course of the season, in sacks and QBs pressure. And that is with a D filled with 4 and 5 star players.
Pointing out that pressure is needed even more, throughout the season, in the Pac12.
Going up against 4 and 5* OL as well. The other team is good too you know

JFC, nobody heard or saw anything from this guy a week ago, and now he’s a gd messiah. Calm yer titts. If this guy went to CSU a year ago you wouldn’t bat an eye.

JFC, nobody heard or saw anything from this guy a week ago, and now he’s a gd messiah. Calm yer titts. If this guy went to CSU a year ago you wouldn’t bat an eye.
Nobody knew **** about Ryan Day two weeks ago, and very few really knew anything about Jimmy Lake, either. I understand some concerns about various aspects of the hire, but how you can be so skeptical or down on it is strange.

Nobody knew **** about Ryan Day two weeks ago, and very few really knew anything about Jimmy Lake, either. I understand some concerns about various aspects of the hire, but how you can be so skeptical or down on it is strange.
No it isn't, it's the sky is falling CU mentality, until you change that. Oh and hopefully Tucker can get busy right away now.

Ryan Day was the interim coach at OSU when Meyer was goin thru his drama, and sorry if I noticed Lake at UW as well. UW stymied us and a lot people.

Why can I be skeptical? McElwain and Bobo. 2 other guys that rolled into CO from the SEC. We love those guys right?

Last edited:
Ryan Day was the interim coach at OSU when Meyer was goin thru his drama, and sorry if I noticed Lake at UW as well. UW stymied us and a lot people.

Why can I be skeptical? McElwain and Bobo. 2 other guys that rolled into CO from the SEC. We love those guys right?
Nothing wrong with being skeptical, but you can’t argue the guy’s credentials. He has a sparkling resume as a big time coordinator.

McElwain was pretty good at CSU. Bobo has been pretty meh to bad. Those two are very different from Tucker and he has a pretty impressive resume.

McElwain was pretty good at CSU. Bobo has been pretty meh to bad. Those two are very different from Tucker and he has a pretty impressive resume.

He does, and I will give him a chance. Let’s see the staff he puts together.

I wanted Lake, and I’m bitter about it I’ll admit it. I’m tired of the “checks the boxes” guy for the current time we’re looking for an HC.

Like now, we need a hard nosed defense guy and a recruiter. Tucker checks those boxes.

But is he the next rising star innovator that could change our program and maybe be so good that he could leave for another program?

I don’t see it, yet.

He does, and I will give him a chance. Let’s see the staff he puts together.

I wanted Lake, and I’m bitter about it I’ll admit it. I’m tired of the “checks the boxes” guy for the current time we’re looking for an HC.

Like now, we need a hard nosed defense guy and a recruiter. Tucker checks those boxes.

But is he the next rising star innovator that could change our program and maybe be so good that he could leave for another program?

I don’t see it, yet.
I wanted an offensive guy as well, and Ryan Day was my number one when the initial rumors came out. I think Tucker can get that offensive innovator guy as an OC, though, but you’re right, we’ll have to wait and see. Regardless, the program needs a HC who knows what it takes to compete at the highest level. In recruiting, managing a program, hiring and firing staff members, building a “support” group for the program with social media, recruiting departments, film departments, etc. A guy who can lead a coaching staff, recruit his balls off and close high level recruits. I think Tucker has spent enough time in and around elite programs to be that guy. Time will tell and these next few weeks will tell us more when he fills out his staff.

I think Tucker is as good of a choice as anyone else on the board. I am glad we dodged the Les Miles bullet. I fear time has passed him by. Tucker has the resume.

With any new HC there is risk. The number of guys who are truly can't miss is pretty short. They all have the highest profile jobs and huge salaries already. CU, while being a desirable school/locale/conference destination, still has to take some risk in hiring.

Tucker has been at the top with the big boys. The question is, like always, recruiting. It is the life blood of any program. MikMac having 2 AC's who, for all intents and purposes, were dead weight (Jeffcoat and Bernardi) recruiting wise was the first major red flag of his tenure, add in the Vanilla Baer recruiting only players from his church, and recruiting suffered. MikMac never fully recovered. Overall, though, MikMac leaves things much better than he found them, so kudos to him. Hopefully, Tucker builds out a staff that has solid FB acumen and focuses on getting the jimmies and joes, as Switzer put it.

If he is the guy, I like the hire. The RMS will be interesting. Two former UGA assts. going head to head.

Please tell me Mel Tucker does not have a college aged son who plays FB.

I think Tucker is as good of a choice as anyone else on the board. I am glad we dodged the Les Miles bullet. I fear time has passed him by. Tucker has the resume.

With any new HC there is risk. The number of guys who are truly can't miss is pretty short. They all have the highest profile jobs and huge salaries already. CU, while being a desirable school/locale/conference destination, still has to take some risk in hiring.

Tucker has been at the top with the big boys. The question is, like always, recruiting. It is the life blood of any program. MikMac having 2 AC's who, for all intents and purposes, were dead weight (Jeffcoat and Bernardi) recruiting wise was the first major red flag of his tenure, add in the Vanilla Baer recruiting only players from his church, and recruiting suffered. MikMac never fully recovered. Overall, though, MikMac leaves things much better than he found them, so kudos to him. Hopefully, Tucker builds out a staff that has solid FB acumen and focuses on getting the jimmies and joes, as Switzer put it.

If he is the guy, I like the hire. The RMS will be interesting. Two former UGA assts. going head to head.

Please tell me Mel Tucker does not have a college aged son who plays FB.
He has two sons... They are teenagers, I believe.

Yes. Do you take just one game to assess everything?
His team ranks dead last in the SEC over the course of the season, in sacks and QBs pressure. And that is with a D filled with 4 and 5 star players.
Pointing out that pressure is needed even more, throughout the season, in the Pac12.

Maybe they need a coach Drake to get the DL to be better at rushing the passer.

Maybe they need a coach Drake to get the DL to be better at rushing the passer.
in a base 3 man front, the NT and the ends aren't necessarily there to generate pass rush, but more to occupy blockers freeing up the outside linebacker(s). I think the lack of pass rush may have been more of not wanting to put the DB's at higher risk than they were.

I was confused by the poll - I think it's better than an "Ok hire", but I am generally considered to be an idiot, so....not sure what to pick.

Back