What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Positives of a Pac-16 for CU

There were 2 main reasons for leaving the big 12.

1) From a competitive standpoint UT and to a lesser extent OU have athletic budgets and revenue sharing models that made it unrealistic for other teams to compete.
2) The large alumni base on the west coast.

Moving to the PAC was going to align CU with athletic budgets closer to theirs, and allow them to have multiple games on the west coast in front of the large alumni base.

Bringing UT, OU and other Big12 leftovers into the PAC completely destroys all the benefits that CU was going to realize by moving away from the Big12.

I hope UT can hold the Big12-3 together for at least 2-3 more years.

1) Equal revenue sharing in the Pac-12 (16). If anyone was thinking this meant we didn't have to step up our game with donations and ticket purchases, they read the memo wrong. The arms race didn't stop, we just gained some breathing room.

2) We still connect with our west coast alumni. The unfortunate thing is that we lost our Texas alumni, which represent one of the largest groups outside Colorado. I think it's second (or third behind Illinois).

I think your last sentence captures it. If this thing is going to happen, let's hope it's in 2014 or 2015 rather than 2012.

- Seeing the gAggies part with the whorns leads me to believe that a boomer/okie lite split is also possible. Not so with jaysquawks and kjsu, because of their shared leadership.

- bailer and Iowa State should start looking for new homes.

The Mountain West Conference presidents did already approve of KSU and ISU being future members if they didn't go to the Big East so therefore a KSU-KU split is possible. OU-OSU...I'm skeptical on that and OSU would still be a good addition to the Pac-12 since they can claim more overall national championships than UT and that fits the Pac-12 profile very well.

Baylor is the school that is truly in limbo here...serves them right for the mudslinging they did at CU last year.

1) Equal revenue sharing in the Pac-12 (16). If anyone was thinking this meant we didn't have to step up our game with donations and ticket purchases, they read the memo wrong. The arms race didn't stop, we just gained some breathing room.

2) We still connect with our west coast alumni. The unfortunate thing is that we lost our Texas alumni, which represent one of the largest groups outside Colorado. I think it's second (or third behind Illinois).

I think your last sentence captures it. If this thing is going to happen, let's hope it's in 2014 or 2015 rather than 2012.

Beautiful stuff dude. If we can wait until 2014 or 2015 for that, that would be great. But the new Big 12 contract doesn't kick in until next season and Fox Sports can just transfer that contract to the Pac-16 and the same thing for ESPN.

Will Baylor and ISU even be able to continue to have teams?

Iowa State's athletic department budget is only about $30 million per year. Can you imagine having your athletic department budget cut by $10+ million??? That is what is likely to soon happen to ISU and Baylor (and perhaps KSU) if the conference dissolves and the TV money disappears.

Their budgets aren't that much higher than Boise State's budgets so they should be ok in the MWC and like I said above, the MWC presidents ALREADY APPROVED them as future members if they choose to go to the MWC.

Will Baylor and ISU even be able to continue to have teams? Iowa State's athletic department budget is only about $30 million per year. Can you imagine having your athletic department budget cut by $10+ million??? That is what is likely to soon happen to ISU and Baylor (and perhaps KSU) if the conference dissolves and the TV money disappears.

I can't even begin to predict what will happen to some of these schools. I think if the ole b12 dissolves that KU, OU, and Mizzery will prolly land on their feet. ISU, bailer and kjsu? Don't know. The MAC, perhaps, for ISU and kjsu? Bailer is like a stray dog nobody wants, so I have no clue what will happen to them.

The Mountain West Conference presidents did already approve of KSU and ISU being future members if they didn't go to the Big East so therefore a KSU-KU split is possible. OU-OSU...I'm skeptical on that and OSU would still be a good addition to the Pac-12 since they can claim more overall national championships than UT and that fits the Pac-12 profile very well.

Baylor is the school that is truly in limbo here...serves them right for the mudslinging they did at CU last year.

And Baylor, unlike the other schools left out of the Pac/SEC/Big10, would not have a Big East option. The folks at TCU have a long memory and will block them as a Big East team.

And Baylor, unlike the other schools left out of the Pac/SEC/Big10, would not have a Big East option. The folks at TCU have a long memory and will block them as a Big East team.

That is if TCU doesn't get left out of the superconferences.

Their budgets aren't that much higher than Boise State's budgets so they should be ok in the MWC and like I said above, the MWC presidents ALREADY APPROVED them as future members if they choose to go to the MWC.

But Boise State has been budgeting with $2 million in TV revenue. ISU/Baylor/etc. have been budgeting with $10 million+ in revenue. Change that to $2 million and they are in for a world of hurt.

But Boise State has been budgeting with $2 million in TV revenue. ISU/Baylor/etc. have been budgeting with $10 million+ in revenue. Change that to $2 million and they are in for a world of hurt.

Very true but that kind of gap can be overcome. Both schools have done well in attending their home football and basketball games. They might end up having to let the higher paid coaches walk but that's life.

We are screwed that it all. You can bet on 8/12 teams going for the east/west division because that way they have access to all 4 California schools every year. That leaves just 4 max wanting a pod system. I'm just not sure how solid Utah and the Zona schools would be on this point. If we don't get the pod system we are screwed. Unless we get an uncle T Boone or Phil Knight soon good luck trying to go through OU and UT every year to get to the championship game.

Just for a moment, consider this sequence of events:
  • CU announces it's leaving to join the PAC
  • Nubbies announce they're leaving to join the BigWhatever conference (Mizzery expected the invite)
  • the "shambles" conference gets a redo on their deal with FOX; uTerus, boomers, and gAggies get lions share of $. FOX agrees to pay same amount for fewer teams, games, and no CCG
  • uTerus announces the LHN
  • uTerus declares they will televise HS games
  • powers that be ("shambles" conference or ncaa, pick one) tell uTerus 'no can do' on the HS games
  • gAggies declare they are leaving the "shambles" conference
  • uTerus declares they will televise highlights of HS games
Nice to think of the domino affect CU started, but for a moment, think about the last 4 events. After being shot down about airing HS games, and long-time bed partner departing, uTerus just has to have the last say. They're daring Beebe and the prez's of the shambles conference to do something.

If you're the president or other person of say/power in a current 12-PAC school, do you vote to include uTerus in your conference?

Why always consider ONLY T-Tech and Okie Light? I say take Mizzou and the Jayhawks as the last two members, put them with UT and OU and call it the the Bible Belt pod!

KC area (Lawrence is to KC as Ft. Fun is to Dever) is a whole lot better than Stillwater or Lubbock and the academics at those KC schools are worlds closer to the PAC 12 than either of the land grant/tech schools.

Let Okie Light and the Red Raiders join with Iowa St and KSUjc in a pod for the transgendered MWC!

Plus you lock up the sizeable KC Media market and double down on the Tex-ass market by having both UT and OU, without the minor league drag of Stillwater. (As I recall more than half the Dirt Thieves' roster is filled with Texans, so they get a big following in Lone Star.)

Dallas and OKC radio stations this morning are reporting that OU is indeed headed for the PAC 12 (with OSU TT & UT). Announcement to come around Oct. 1st.

I'm not sure of their credibility - but this is what they are saying.

I think state legislatures will require OU to take OSU, and UT to take Texas Tech.

Also - given the fact that UT, TT, OU, and OSU were invited LAST YEAR at the same time as Colorado - seems likely they will be invited, again.

Meanwhile, this morning Chip Brown is saying that OU is dedicated to the Big XII-II-I=IX in the long run. None of these guys have any clue basically and we are all waiting to see if BeBee can lure in any big dogs.

OU wants the path of least possible resistance. They don't want to have a schedule that includes USC, Oregon, Washington, UCLA, Stanford, Arizona, Arizona State while still having to go through Texas, OSU, Tech, etc. They would much rather have UT, OSU, Tech, and a bunch of nobodies like ISU, KSU, KU, etc.

But at the same time, they know that if they play in a WAC-like conference, their chances of getting to the BCS title game are reduced. They also know that the television networks aren't going to pony up major cash for a conference with the likes of TCU, SMU, Houston, Rice, Iowa State, Baylor, Kansas State, etc.

I also think that while OU would like to establish their own television network, they do realize that Texas' LHN is a nightmare waiting to happen, if they are allowed to start broadcasting high school games, if they get additional conference games, etc. So while they know that they need Texas to keep the $$$ from the television networks, they realize that Texas likes to corner the market and scheme the system to their own best interests.

OU would really like to save the Big 12. They put the full court press on Texas A&M to try to keep the Aggies in the conference. But they aren't fools. They know that the Big 12 conference is dying, and the Pac-12 (or 16) is where they need to go should the Big 12 conference fold.

Meanwhile, this morning Chip Brown is saying that OU is dedicated to the Big XII-II-I=IX in the long run. None of these guys have any clue basically and we are all waiting to see if BeBee can lure in any big dogs.

There are no big dogs to lure. Like you said none of them have a clue.

We are screwed that it all. You can bet on 8/12 teams going for the east/west division because that way they have access to all 4 California schools every year. That leaves just 4 max wanting a pod system. I'm just not sure how solid Utah and the Zona schools would be on this point. If we don't get the pod system we are screwed. Unless we get an uncle T Boone or Phil Knight soon good luck trying to go through OU and UT every year to get to the championship game.

There's no reason to assume the CA schools will be committed to a divisional setup. It would be very likely that the NW schools would be dead-set against a pod system, but it would also be likely that at least CU, UA and ASU would be dead-set against a divisional setup. The CA schools, however, would get the same rivalry games either way. BUT, in a pod setup, the CA schools would be guaranteed a game in the SE pod every year, which would help their TX recruiting presumably.

More importantly, a pod setup would accomplish all of that with a 9-game schedule. In a divisional setup, guaranteeing everyone a game in CA and TX/OK every year would take a 10-11 game conference schedule.

I see it breaking down one of two ways: first, the NW schools and Mtn schools deadlock re: the pod vs division setup and the expansion gets held up, or second, the pod system goes forward. I just don't see how you get 75% of the schools on board with the divisional setup. Of course, I'm not sure how you get 75% schools on board with the pod setup, either, unless you assume the CA schools are fine with anything.

Back