What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pruning my rant from a recruit thread

Just glad it's on the fans to donate to the AD. We can't ever really know how or why, just donate. These guys have a great track record with football, no need to hesitate.

Bohn is a pragmatist. Many of us believed that with the influx of money with the new TV deal we would see immediate changes. It's hard for many of us to be patient and to be so in the dark as to what is going on.

The bear is making a rare appearance on this forum to reaffirm that Nik is correct. The bear also believes that Bohn had a crappy hand dealt to him. The bear believes that this hand has not improved throughout many years. Further, the bear believes that you are all mostly a bunch of whiners who never donate to improve conditions. The bear also feels that your existing leadership would have ****ed up such donations anyways so the bear is conflicted and has little to offer other than suggesting change is needed. The bear likes Pearl Street and game days but wishes things would change to positively affect your trust with the CU AD but the bear knows better and awaits the day you all realize you have joined the conference of champions. The bear also likes Emma Coburn. The bear feels you do not provide sufficient coverage to Ms. Coburn here on Allbuffs. The bear also suspects that many of you are hippies that do not like athletic endeavors. That is all.

Coburn is great. But she's no Hunsucker.
a2ure6up.jpg

e8yma3az.jpg

uqa9ate2.jpg

nepety7y.jpg

Bohn does have a crappy situation.
Life is hard when you are the lapdog of Phil and Bruce.

It's a good thing Phil and Bruce are really, really are committed this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Bohn criticism is unwarranted, IMO. The guy had a huge job to do when he got here, and the things he's done already are impressive. .

Impressive is a little strong. We are on our 3rd football coach in 7 years under him.

If I was grading Bohn I'd give him a C right now. Basketball program better but the football program has fallen off the cliff and will take great effort by HCMM to get it back on track.

Last edited:
So, while I was annoyed last night I decided to look up why CU dropped a nationally ranked baseball team, nationally ranked gymnastics programs, swimming & diving, and wrestling back in 1980. Title IX was coming into play, but that wasn't the main driver for this. The main driver was that there was $1 million in AD debt. Seriously. And while I'll never understand Bohn dropping a nationally ranked men's tennis program in 2006, this issue of not being able to raise AD funds to even a modestly average level at CU is a decades old problem.

And while I like that women's lacrosse has been added and I like that women's sand volleyball looks to be coming, I'm getting sick of how out of balance things are toward women's sports. It's clear that politics and the opportunity to win a Title IX excellence award is more important than doing what will get fans excited. We are going to have volleyball, soccer, tennis and lacrosse programs on the women's side without having the men's equivalent. That's ridiculous.

Searching for something else I found your teeth in titleIX, looks like we comply to ensure certain federal funding continues flowing to the school, would be nice if we got a little cut of that eh?

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=206970092

Roland Rautenstraus, CU’s president at the time, called Wahl and CU men’s Athletic Director Eddie Crowder into a meeting to address the problem. The university needed to comply with Title IX or stood to lose $62 million dollars in federal funding. Wahl and Crowder were given a simple message: Figure it out. (As in the past with men’s athletics, no funds from the university were offered.)

Good find, abs.

CU treats athletics as a redheaded stepchild.

Another issue on how the university abuses the athletic department is with scholarship costs it pulls from it. I remember one year that Bohn came out of the Big 12 AD meetings and there was an article (I think ESPN Big 12 blog) that despite CU offering the bare minimum number of varsity sports to be a NCAA D1 institution - by far the fewest sports in the Big 12 - the CU AD had the highest or 2nd highest scholarship costs in the Big 12.

The university administration treats the athletic department in the way some professional team owners treat their franchise. I'm referring to those owners whose focus isn't on winning championships but on maximizing profitability of the franchise by going on the cheap and riding the coattails of the rest of the league's investments to make more money out of the media contract growth others are driving. To put it another way, CU is like the rundown home in a great neighborhood that sees its property values continue to increase through the improvements all the neighbors are making.

Good find, abs.

CU treats athletics as a redheaded stepchild.

Another issue on how the university abuses the athletic department is with scholarship costs it pulls from it. I remember one year that Bohn came out of the Big 12 AD meetings and there was an article (I think ESPN Big 12 blog) that despite CU offering the bare minimum number of varsity sports to be a NCAA D1 institution - by far the fewest sports in the Big 12 - the CU AD had the highest or 2nd highest scholarship costs in the Big 12.

The university administration treats the athletic department in the way some professional team owners treat their franchise. I'm referring to those owners whose focus isn't on winning championships but on maximizing profitability of the franchise by going on the cheap and riding the coattails of the rest of the league's investments to make more money out of the media contract growth others are driving. To put it another way, CU is like the rundown home in a great neighborhood that sees its property values continue to increase through the improvements all the neighbors are making.

We can only hope that the long time owner dies and a new, young couple comes in and spruces the place up.

Too morbid?

Impressive is a little strong. We are on our 3rd football coach in 7 years under him.

If I was grading Bohn I'd give him a C right now. Basketball program better but the football program has fallen off the cliff and will take great effort by HCMM to get it back on track.

Does Bohn get credit for hiring HCMM if he turns out successful?

Back