What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

QB play

Valdez, I'm afraid Hawk won't do that though. He isn't looking to next year. He's trying to salvage this year and his job.

Valdez, I'm afraid Hawk won't do that though. He isn't looking to next year. He's trying to salvage this year and his job.
Not sure about that...he looks clueless on the sideline....and I saw him laughing at the end of the game. Maybe because $3.5M is coming his way.

I think putting Hansen in would give him slack this year. Am I wrong?

Keeping Cody in only tightens the noose imo.
Cody would not start at N. Texas, or Louisiana Tech, or San Diego St, or BF Idaho St......

I think putting Hansen in would give him slack this year. Am I wrong?

Keeping Cody in only tightens the noose imo.

Possibly. I truly don't think he can salvage his job. Perhaps the cost of his buyout can, but nothing he does. Unless by some divine miracle we go onto win 8 games.

anyone have any dirt on him that can allow the school to fire w/o any compensation?

DBT, didnt he molest you one time?

I'm with Jimmy on this. If Hansen was the answer he would have won the job. Hawk does NOT tailor his offense to his players strengths. Of the possible replacements Clark Evans is the only pocket type quarterback with the skill set that Hawk covets. I don't think he's ready for prime time but if you want a change so bad then what you're asking for is that we burn Evans' red shirt and get him in there. This would be a situation where he either comes out as a Matt Ryan type rookie phenomenon (10% chance) or comes out and gets his confidence beat out of him like David Carr (90%) chance. Still want to do this?

What exactly is the skill set that Hawk covets?

What exactly is the skill set that Hawk covets?

Uh... the skill set that any coach would covet? The ability to read defenses and adjust, pocket presence, footwork, release extension, power, accuracy, leadership.

Edit:
The hype that Evans got would lead one to believe that Hawk thought he got a gem. If a change is in order Evans is the only one that fits the bill. Hansen is a run first quarterback and that does not fit the system.

Yeah, I can turn around and say if WVU doesn't fumble the ball around they are up by 14 points too..

Little Hawk isn't the answer, but this program has many more glaring problems than him (WR, a defense with players that can run, a kicker)

I think you are going to see the WR improve considerable through out the year. I really think Simas and Simmons will become the threats on the outside we have all been hoping for.

Uh... the skill set that any coach would covet? The ability to read defenses and adjust, pocket presence, footwork, release extension, power, accuracy, leadership.

Edit:
The hype that Evans got would lead one to believe that Hawk thought he got a gem. If a change is in order Evans is the only one that fits the bill. Hansen is a run first quarterback and that does not fit the system.
Evans is a run first QB as well. So is Spond, and Hansen.

Hansen won't learn the reads on the bench. We are now officially playing for next year.

Cody cannot execute the screen pass. He had Sumler for a large gain and 1st down in 3Q and can't execute. Too many wobblers.

Hansen may be a step back, but we got to see if one step back can eventually mean 2 steps forward.

I thought that was what practice is for. I thought the idea was behind practice. The idea that someone can only get better by playing in a game is off-base in my opinion. Does game time experience help, no argument, but you have to be able to show you at least know what your are trying to do in practice.

Now since I have never watched a practice I have no clue as to how Cody and Hansen look during the week. Just making the point that you can get better sometimes by watching and learning as well.

I thought that was what practice is for. I thought the idea was behind practice. The idea that someone can only get better by playing in a game is off-base in my opinion. Does game time experience help, no argument, but you have to be able to show you at least know what your are trying to do in practice.

Now since I have never watched a practice I have no clue as to how Cody and Hansen look during the week. Just making the point that you can get better sometimes by watching and learning as well.
Game experience outweighs practice imo. I'm not trying to say practice isn't important, but it will never be as valuable as a game is.

Edit:

At least the current QB has Leadership.

Evans is a run first QB as well. So is Spond, and Hansen.

I buy that about Spond and Hansen is a known quantity but sweet jeebus, why would hawk recruit Evans as a run first quarterback? If this is true then Hawk is must be sun-downing or something. His quarterbacks and his system have never been run first. Maybe they ought to be though... we can't throw the forward pass very well so whatever works.

i remember the first game this year the guys calling the game said the players they talked to said they thought hansen beat cody out and cody starts...wtf..i say give hansen the chances you have given your kido hawk and lets see....:rolleyes:

At this point whether or not Cody is the best QB we have is irrelevant. I find it impossible to believe that Cody will get us to a bowl game now. So what is the point of continuing having him at QB? It is time to play for the future and groom the next QB. I don’t care if it is Evans or Hansen. Our best Chance at a bowl game next year is to have a new QB with some game time experience.

So the long term goal under Hawkins now is to win 6 games and go to the Linens N Things Bowl? Lame.

So the long term goal under Hawkins now is to win 6 games and go to the Linens N Things Bowl? Lame.

Well since we've only won 6 games once in his four years (forget this year), I'd say that would be a lofty goal.. :lol:

Well since we've only won 6 games once in his four years (forget this year), I'd say that would be a lofty goal.. :lol:

Bring on Texas!! Bevo be ready.

We suck and will never win with Cody at the helm. He's slow, has no arm strength and here is the topper.....He makes horrible decisions.

I would give my left arm for Joel Klatt right now and a player with some fire like L. Vickers. I'm so depressed.

I don't see how Cody beating out Hansen in practice automatically makes him the better gameday QB. I also fail to see how Hansen playing last year as a true freshman and playing poorly automatically makes him a failure that will never amount to anything more than what Cody currently is. Here's a hint, it won't be hard. He's one of the worst QBs I've ever watched play the game of football at a college level. He fails to see blitzes, can't hit moving receivers in stride, can't slide away from pocket pressure, he can't even throw a decent screen pass. I love the guy, but it has to be time to see someone else.

I don't see how Cody beating out Hansen in practice automatically makes him the better gameday QB. I also fail to see how Hansen playing last year as a true freshman and playing poorly automatically makes him a failure that will never amount to anything more than what Cody currently is. Here's a hint, it won't be hard. He's one of the worst QBs I've ever watched play the game of football at a college level. He fails to see blitzes, can't hit moving receivers in stride, can't slide away from pocket pressure, he can't even throw a decent screen pass. I love the guy, but it has to be time to see someone else.

newsflash: Playmaker needed at qb!!!!!!!!!

It does not matter who was better in practice. When your starting QB is this bad, you have to make a change, even if it's just for the sake of change. You cannot continue to run out a qb that is this bad. It's not fair to the team.

Food for thought. Cody's stats are absolutely horrendous. However, they would be twice as bad if you took away the three garbage TD's against Akron and the 75 yards and TD on the last drive against WV.

Back