What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Quarter vs Half setup better?

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
I have always liked the flow of the men's college game with 2 halves of 20 minutes.

I know the NBA setup of quarters has some benefits, particularly since it creates 2 extra "moments" per game with last second shots.

Maybe I'm just being a traditionalist, but I haven't loved it in college WBB. Or maybe it's too short with 10 minute quarters instead of 12 breaking flow a bit more? Not sure, but I don't think I want to keep it in WBB or see it adopted by MBB.

WBB plays quarters now. I definitely prefer halves. Then I knew when the timeouts were coming and could plan my potty breaks.

I prefer halves. Quarters just feel wrong.
Let’s go to 3rds. It’ll be more dramatic.

Bang Bang Hug GIF by Det Danske Filminstitut

I actually like Quarters better, but Halves fit the game just fine
Has anyone ever had the privilege of seeing Iowa 6 on 6 Girls basketball? I saw it once when I was a kid and they would put 3v3 on both ends, so you had forwards v defenders on each end and they would make the transfer passes at mid-court. Crazy sight to see

Growing up in Iowa, I saw many 6 on 6 games as a kid. It was one of the things my family could do together for relatively cheap. Mom played 6 on 6 basketball and was a forward. That's where my dad first noticed her, but they didn't actually meet for a few years later. tha

East High is where I went to high school. Neighbor across the street played on this team. She took me over to the school to see the trophy that summer.

When I first went to a Colorado high school state tournament, I was so disappointed by the lack of pageantry. The teams wer''e treated like royalty for the entire week they spent in Des Moines. There were three old hotels downtown and the teams were divided between the 3 hotels.

Games in the 90's and 100's from the forward court were not unusual. The Iowa Girls' High School Athletic Union was run by a bunch of old white men back then. They didn't think girls should sweat so the guarding was not the kind of defenses played today.

For a lot of the better players, their game did not transition well to college and 5 on 5. They had to threaten to sue the Athletic Union to get 5 on 5 basketball. For many years, there were two simultaneous state tournaments--one for 6 on 6 teams and one for 5 on 5 teams. Then 6 in 6 went by the wayside and all schools in Iowa play 5 on 5.

My high school in Des Moines didn't get girls' basketball until after I had graduated. It was a game for small towns. They still celebrate the small town schools over the big schools. They now have 5 classes of girls' basketball. The championships are played over 2 nights. The largest school game is played started at something like 4 PM on Friday. Those schools are never in prime time.

All games are shown on PBS here.

Colorado has had 5 Iowa Girls play for us. The two successful players were Linda Lappe and Shelley Sheetz. Lappe's team played in 4 state championship games and won two championships. Sheetz' team went once and finished 3rd. They played consolation games back then.

Both Lappe and Sheetz are in the Iowa Girls' Basketball Hall of Fame.

Growing up in Iowa, I saw many 6 on 6 games as a kid. It was one of the things my family could do together for relatively cheap. Mom played 6 on 6 basketball and was a forward. That's where my dad first noticed her, but they didn't actually meet for a few years later. tha

East High is where I went to high school. Neighbor across the street played on this team. She took me over to the school to see the trophy that summer.

When I first went to a Colorado high school state tournament, I was so disappointed by the lack of pageantry. The teams wer''e treated like royalty for the entire week they spent in Des Moines. There were three old hotels downtown and the teams were divided between the 3 hotels.

Games in the 90's and 100's from the forward court were not unusual. The Iowa Girls' High School Athletic Union was run by a bunch of old white men back then. They didn't think girls should sweat so the guarding was not the kind of defenses played today.

For a lot of the better players, their game did not transition well to college and 5 on 5. They had to threaten to sue the Athletic Union to get 5 on 5 basketball. For many years, there were two simultaneous state tournaments--one for 6 on 6 teams and one for 5 on 5 teams. Then 6 in 6 went by the wayside and all schools in Iowa play 5 on 5.

My high school in Des Moines didn't get girls' basketball until after I had graduated. It was a game for small towns. They still celebrate the small town schools over the big schools. They now have 5 classes of girls' basketball. The championships are played over 2 nights. The largest school game is played started at something like 4 PM on Friday. Those schools are never in prime time.

All games are shown on PBS here.

Colorado has had 5 Iowa Girls play for us. The two successful players were Linda Lappe and Shelley Sheetz. Lappe's team played in 4 state championship games and won two championships. Sheetz' team went once and finished 3rd. They played consolation games back then.

Both Lappe and Sheetz are in the Iowa Girls' Basketball Hall of Fame.

Colorado was ridiculously behind in terms of putting girls sports on anything close to an even footing with the boys. My older sister played basketball and while they played 5 on 5 the girls team had to practice in the cafeteria with tape on the floor to mark boundaries, portable baskets, and a low ceiling because the boys teams "might" need the gym for some extra work or conditioning. They also had no practice uniforms and had to share game uniforms between varsity and JV.

In many of those small towns the high schools and their athletic teams bind the community together. Those kids are a part of and represent the community and get amazing support. It may be part of why there are so many kids who come from those small schools to be successful in all walks of life.

There was a period where the CU WBB team played in the Rec Center. Other parts of the center were opened for regular services. A section of the women's locker room was blocked off for the team.

In my opinion, period changes often bring momentum changes. I guess it depends on how one’s team is doing, but the quarter system seems to result in more momentum changes and, maybe, less continuity.

In my opinion, period changes often bring momentum changes. I guess it depends on how one’s team is doing, but the quarter system seems to result in more momentum changes and, maybe, less continuity.
I'd be curious to learn from any of our WBB experts if they have noticed a change in substitution patterns or bench minutes since changing to quarters.

Reactions: DBT
Quarters are all levels of basketball now except for College Men. I like the quarter system and the 5 fouls / 2 shot rule per quarter. NCAAM BB should adopt the same system and be like everyone else. If nothing else it gives another built in media timeout.

Halves.

Moving to quarters essentially would have three minor impacts:
1. Introducing two more time outs in the game, that may or may not be timely for either team.
2. Adds two more flips of the possession arrow.
3. Causes two more possessions to have a short shot clock.

I don't see any of those as being positive to the game (not that I think they're significant negatives either).

It might end up being 4 quarters if broadcasting has a say. 2 more lengthy ad slots.
Ehhh you can make the media timeouts and halftime longer to make up for that.

I don't know if I have an opinion on quarters vs. halves. One thing I think the mens rules do a lot better is team fouls. I don't like the women's rule-which is 2 shots starting with the 5th foul in each quarter. High school basketball is now using it. I'd like to see the 1 and 1 stay around in some form-like let's say you have that starting with the 5 and 2 shots with the 8th foul in a quarter.

Free throws are an underrated part of this game. Coaches don't emphasize it enough, and I've always blamed Shaq (who was a notoriously awful free throw shooter) for that.

Random note I'd throw out there-if you live in Denver and track high school basketball in Colorado, check out DSST: Green Valley Ranch's boys. I worked their game the other night. They're a fun group to watch. Very athletic. They press, and they're really good at it. Hinkley (6a team albeit a bad one) had no clue how to break it. They have couple kids who I think might be D1 players......but I might be overrating them because I had them against a god-awful team the other day. Clear 4a title contender.

Last edited:
I'd be curious to learn from any of our WBB experts if they have noticed a change in substitution patterns or bench minutes since changing to quarters.

If there is a stoppage in play, I do think JR makes substitutions at the end of the quarters to give people a blow. Our rotation is pretty set. The players getting playing time now are who she is going to put in the game. It's not the end of the bench unless it's a blowout. I don't foresee a blowout in the Pac 12.

Ehhh you can make the media timeouts and halftime longer to make up for that.

I don't know if I have an opinion on quarters vs. halves. One thing I think the mens rules do a lot better is team fouls. I don't like the women's rule-which is 2 shots starting with the 5th foul in each quarter. High school basketball is now using it. I'd like to see the 1 and 1 stay around in some form-like let's say you have that starting with the 5 and 2 shots with the 8th foul in a quarter.

Free throws are an underrated part of this game. Coaches don't emphasize it enough, and I've always blamed Shaq (who was a notoriously awful free throw shooter) for that.

Random note I'd throw out there-if you live in Denver and track high school basketball in Colorado, check out DSST: Green Valley Ranch's boys. I worked their game the other night. They're a fun group to watch. Very athletic. They press, and they're really good at it. Hinkley (6a team albeit a bad one) had no clue how to break it. They have couple kids who I think might be D1 players......but I might be overrating them because I had them against a god-awful team the other day. Clear 4a title contender.
Kent Denver?

Quarters are all levels of basketball now except for College Men. I like the quarter system and the 5 fouls / 2 shot rule per quarter. NCAAM BB should adopt the same system and be like everyone else. If nothing else it gives another built in media timeout.
The 5 fouls to the bonus may be the biggest impact.

With halves if a team picks up 2-3 quick fouls early in the half they may end being tentative the entire half to avoid giving the opponent a parade to the free throw line at the end of the half.

With quarters and a reset on the fouls it also allows a reset on defensive intensity.

Not blaming the officials because they have a tough job but some officials tend to be a little whistle happy early trying to make sure they have some control on the game. By the time they get into just calling the game one (or both) teams may already be on their way to an early bonus impacting how the game is played.

With halves if a team picks up 2-3 quick fouls early in the half they may end being tentative the entire half to avoid giving the opponent a parade to the free throw line at the end of the half.

With quarters and a reset on the fouls it also allows a reset on defensive intensity.

Not blaming the officials because they have a tough job but some officials tend to be a little whistle happy early trying to make sure they have some control on the game. By the time they get into just calling the game one (or both) teams may already be on their way to an early bonus impacting how the game is played.
This is probably the best argument I've heard against the halves format.

It's good enough that I may start to rethink my position on it.

I think you see that more in the women's game than in the men's. Little handchecky type fouls can very easily turn into harder fouls or god forbid fighting. I've seen a team shoot a bunch of foul shots one time in a quarter this year though. Its a positive change, but I still prefer the old one and one over 2 shots.

In terms of your last point.......handchecking is the most obvious place where that happens. There are a lot of parts of that rule that I think officials at some levels don't understand. The idea is not to put a quick whistle on a hot stove type play (defender puts hand on offensive player, takes it off, and then puts it back on), which is a foul by rule. The question I think some officials need to ask themselves is this: Does the defender having a hand on the offensive player create some kind of advantage?

I think you see that more in the women's game than in the men's. Little handchecky type fouls can very easily turn into harder fouls or god forbid fighting. I've seen a team shoot a bunch of foul shots one time in a quarter this year though. Its a positive change, but I still prefer the old one and one over 2 shots.

In terms of your last point.......handchecking is the most obvious place where that happens. There are a lot of parts of that rule that I think officials at some levels don't understand. The idea is not to put a quick whistle on a hot stove type play (defender puts hand on offensive player, takes it off, and then puts it back on), which is a foul by rule. The question I think some officials need to ask themselves is this: Does the defender having a hand on the offensive player create some kind of advantage?
As I said officiating can be a tough job, much tougher than most fans realize.

First priority of an official always has to be to keep the game safe and in control. You have some teams that by the players personalities or the way they are coached who tend to come out being more aggressive than the spirit or the letter of the rule book. As you mentioned this kind of play can lead to a hard physical game that has the potential to go over the line into being dangerous.

When I was coaching the hand checking never bothered me unless it turned into grabbing or shoving in a way that would alter the ability of a player to move freely.

There are some officials out there who don't wait to see if the teams are going to be aggressive, they want to establish the idea that they are in charge of the game and tend to call almost anything in the first few minutes of the game as a way of telling everyone to back off. I'm not a fan of these officials but they are out there and as long as they are calling it evenly the players should be able to adjust.

As stated though it does cause more of a problem in halves than quarters. If they blow the whistle 3-4 times in the first few minutes then a team has to play the entire half tentatively to avoid giving up a bunch of free throws. In quarters they need to make it to the quarter break then can go back to playing normal basketball.

The shortage of good officials is something that could end up hurting the game at all levels. We have some guys out there in their 60's who should be retired but there aren't enough young officials to replace them. There are also some officials who frankly aren't very good but again it's them or nobody so they work.

I wonder if the high schools and colleges in Colorado shouldn't do a couple of yearly camps for graduating high school seniors who have a love for the game but aren't good enough to continue as players. Might even set up a scholarship fund to promote interest ($1000 a semester with the requirement that they officiate X number of games at some level be it Jr. High, FR/Soph, AAU, etc.) to get their foot in the door.

Way back I tried to encourage one of my players to go into officiating but I don't think he ever did. He was limited as a player but had an outstanding sense of what was happening on the court and was so emotionally level on the floor it was scary, absolutely nothing ever got to him until he dropped a big smile after a win.

Back