What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Question on McCulloch's offensive interference call

DBT

Club Member
Club Member
He hit the defender after Wood had released the ball but before it was caught?. Was it the correct call? Too bad because the defender was nowhere near being in the play.

It looked to me like it was certainly a pick play but it also looked like McCulloch didn't initiate the contact. He ran to a spot and stopped absorbing the blow to the guy entering the space he was occupying. Thought it was a weak call.

Man, I thought that was a no brainer. He took the route way to far inside and made it look like he was there to pick the guy. Have to cut the route off shorter and just sort of be in the way. Truth is, I don't think he even needed to make contact. The guy wasn't going to get close to DD anyway.

It was a weak call.

Yeah, that's a pick play, but a pretty weak one. The McCulloch didn't initiate contact, neither did the CSU player need to. And yeah, the worst part is that the CSU player wasn't going to make the play anyway. It's not defensive PI if the ball is uncatchable, it shouldn't be offensive PI if the player's not going to be able to make a play on the ball either.

You could probably make that call on almost every designed throw to the flat (i.e., not a check down) in college and pro ball, if you're going to get that picky about it. As it is, it should only be called on guys who go out of their way to initiate the contact with the defender.

I guarantee you this - that call is not going to take that play out of the playbook.

Agreed if he cuts the route off and is headed back outside when the LB tries to get outside it doesn't look like a pick and the play counts.

I watched the DVR and replayed it a couple of times. I don't think it would have been called if he would have stopped his route and turned back to the LOS earlier. He appeared to try to do that but made a half-*****ed attempt and contacted the defender with his shoulder. From the perspective of the official it would have looked like he was blocking by lowering his shoulder into the guy. I am sure Walters will get him to correct so it isn't called again.

Yep. Tyler took the route 1 step too far. Teachable moment. That's a play we'll see again this year and OPI will not get called.

Back