What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rae Carruth to be released from prison

While true, it really doesn’t address the question I posed.
Correct. It speaks to the absurdity of your suggestion that release "may have been the worst thing that could happen to him."

Correct. It speaks to the absurdity of your suggestion that release "may have been the worst thing that could happen to him."
I look at it this way: in prison, he doesn’t worry about paying rent, having a job, health care or where his next meal is coming from. He has to deal with all that now. Granted, he doesn’t have to worry about being Carl’s bitch, so he’s got that going for him, I guess.

Ok, question. Would you want him to be your barber?

If he is good at shaving my head, absolutely.

There are many people you interact with in service professions who have served hard time. They make your food, clean your hotel rooms, take your garbage, clean/fix your car, and so on.

I regularly use barber services to get my head shaved. One of the best barbers I ever had back in Denver did 10 years because he robbed a liquor store with a gun. He was addicted to pain pills and needed money, so he robbed the liquor store. He was caught and went to jail for 10 years. He is remorseful and is now working a 12 step to manage his addiction. He is working a decent job, supporting his wife/children, and trying to make each day a good one.

I never met RC. But, he has a chance to do something with his life. It’s on him to do the right thing going forward. I don’t condone what he did — it was awful. I just hope that he can find peace now that he’s done his time.

Last edited:
If he is good at shaving my head, absolutely.

There are many people you interact with in service professions who have served hard time. They make your food, clean your hotel rooms, take your garbage, clean/fix your car, and so on.

I regularly use barber services to get my head shaved. One of the best barbers I ever had back in Denver did 10 years because he robbed a liquor store with a gun. He was addicted to pain pills and needed money, so he robbed the liquor store. He was caught and went to jail for 10 years. He is remorseful and is now working a 12 step to manage his addiction. He is working a decent job, supporting his wife/children, and trying to make each day a good one.

I never met RC. But, he has a chance to do something with his life. It’s on him to do the right thing going forward. I don’t condone what he did — it was awful. I just hope that he can find peace now that he’s done his time.

Good post.

Paying for services from a released felon in no way says you are okay with what that person has done. Almost all persons convicted of crimes are going to eventually be back out in society.

We can debate how long sentences are but once these people are out they have to live. Due to their records many of the normal options to make a living are closed to them. They still have to eat, still need a roof over their heads, clothing, transportation, all the other things that are part of life. As you mention many also have families relying on them as well.

If we don't give them a chance to work, a chance to support themselves what is the option. Return to crime, live on public support. Allowing someone the basic human dignity of working to support themselves and being a productive member of society isn't to much to ask.

Do I want to be Rae Carruth's friend? Absolutely not. Do I want him cutting my hair or prepping my food in a restaurant, or changing tires on my car? Absolutely if that means he isn't offending again or costing society even more by taking resources that could better be used on those who truly need them.

****ing ridiculous that he is out and the guy who actually shot got 40 years. He destroyed a family, took a life and ruined another. ****er should have never gotten out.

Taking this in a slightly different direction; what does Rae Carruth do now that he’s out of prison? I’m assuming any money he had from playing football was directed towards the upbringing of his son. He’s a guy with no life skills, is a convicted felon, and is what, 45 years old? Nobody in football would hire him. He has no coaching ability that I’m aware of, and his background would make him toxic to even a high school program.
It could very well be that being released from prison was the worst thing that could happen to him.

As someone who owns a company. www.InfiniteMoon.com and hires former felons, addicts and homeless, it will be tough for him unless he finds programs like www.Milehighworkshop.org, who we partner with. Most companies are afraid of felons. Mile High workshop recidivism is less than 5%. National average I believe is 50%.

Side note: the gentleman that runs my production spent 10 years in prison and is one of the sharpest best leaders I have ever met. He served his time and is making a difference the best he can with his record.

As someone who owns a company. www.InfiniteMoon.com and hires former felons, addicts and homeless, it will be tough for him unless he finds programs like www.Milehighworkshop.org, who we partner with. Most companies are afraid of felons. Mile High workshop recidivism is less than 5%. National average I believe is 50%.

Side note: the gentleman that runs my production spent 10 years in prison and is one of the sharpest best leaders I have ever met. He served his time and is making a difference the best he can with his record.

I used to work for a day-labor type of staffing service, and I had a kid who had a felony on his record that had something to do with running from the cops (don't remember exactly), and he turned out to be the most reliable worker we had as a company. Depends on the situation. I hate Carruth for what he did, but now that he's out, I hope he finds a way to be a productive member of society.

I saw a RC documentary last night and this struck me:

1. It was a 'murder for hire', which in most jurisdictions is a statutory aggravator, opening the door to the harshest penalties, including death, where available.
2. it was a murder 'conspiracy'. Same effect as #1.
3. He was motivated by monetary greed
4. He set out to kill the mother of his unborn child, as well as that child.
5. after making bond on the original shooting arrest, he fled the murder warrant, left the state with a woman and is found hiding in a trunk

He did less than 20 years for this. Ridiculous. The reason he didn't get life?

Actually, was pretty close to Amber Turner while at CU. Nice girl definitely got wrapped up with a bad dude. He apparently threatened her as well.

I saw a RC documentary last night and this struck me:

1. It was a 'murder for hire', which in most jurisdictions is a statutory aggravator, opening the door to the harshest penalties, including death, where available.
2. it was a murder 'conspiracy'. Same effect as #1.
3. He was motivated by monetary greed
4. He set out to kill the mother of his unborn child, as well as that child.
5. after making bond on the original shooting arrest, he fled the murder warrant, left the state with a woman and is found hiding in a trunk

He did less than 20 years for this. Ridiculous. The reason he didn't get life?
As I recall, he went to trial and beat the murder charge and was only convicted of conspiracy. He received the maximum sentence for conspiracy. Conspiracy is not an aggravated offense in most jurisdictions.

As I recall, he went to trial and beat the murder charge and was only convicted of conspiracy. He received the maximum sentence for conspiracy. Conspiracy is not an aggravated offense in most jurisdictions.
In your opinion how much of that had to do with him having enough money to pay for quality attorneys and to allow the resources they needed. Had he been poor what would have been his outcome?

In your opinion how much of that had to do with him having enough money to pay for quality attorneys and to allow the resources they needed. Had he been poor what would have been his outcome?

Depends on who his appointed lawyer was. There's broad range of competencies among retained defense lawyers and public defenders. Paying a lot of money is not a guarantee of competency. I believe a lot of the evidence against him was snitch testimony, which can be problematic for the prosecution.

Back