What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ranking of CU's Recruiting Class

Allow me to be captain obvious for a moment: a lot depends on what happens between now and signing day. If we pick up players like Cope-Fitzpatrick, McNamara, W Brown, Crawley, Wright, Rippy, Hooker and Powell everyone will be thrilled and it will be a very good class (at least on paper). If the remaining commits end up being below the radar types or if, heaven forbid, we lose some of the current commits, I fully expect several threads on here that will be pure rants.

images

Anyone see this article yesterday in Bleacher Report about our recruiting situation and 2012 progress? This must have been written by Syko!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...recruiting-why-the-stampede-will-stay-servile

What a negative, crappy article. All about stars and omits the fact that we are still in the running for some of the top talent in the country.

I dunno. Didn't sound too bad to me to be honest. He seems to like Embree as a coach. I think that everyone needs to temper their expectations for a couple years. A couple/few four stars will come this year, hopefully a better class next year, and from there the Buffs will have a solid team without glaring weaknesses and perhaps a surprise weapon or two. If we get two or three of these gems I'd hope everyone is happy with the cycle.

I dunno. Didn't sound too bad to me to be honest. He seems to like Embree as a coach. I think that everyone needs to temper their expectations for a couple years. A couple/few four stars will come this year, hopefully a better class next year, and from there the Buffs will have a solid team without glaring weaknesses and perhaps a surprise weapon or two. If we get two or three of these gems I'd hope everyone is happy with the cycle.
Really? He's essentially saying that you can't win in a BCS conference with 3*'s. While you won't win conference titles in a BCS conference most likely, you can win enough to get you to a bowl game to set up a base to improve recruiting to 4*'s and 5*'s.

While I did not think much of the article overall, if we fail to land any of the top remaining targets, that will be pretty damn disappointing. I am not expecting to land all of them, but we do need to land a couple of them at the very least. We have a pretty good class going right now, but some more difference makers would put it over the top.

While I did not think much of the article overall, if we fail to land any of the top remaining targets, that will be pretty damn disappointing. I am not expecting to land all of them, but we do need to land a couple of them at the very least. We have a pretty good class going right now, but some more difference makers would put it over the top.

Agree.

I do think we've got some difference makers on the DL, though. That's something I haven't thought in a long time.

Agree.

I do think we've got some difference makers on the DL, though. That's something I haven't thought in a long time.

Very happy with the DL recruiting. Was long overdue.

The TE and DB situations are what concern me the most.

If we land JCF, Wright and Crawley we'll all be thrilled, but it's more likely we'll strike out on all three :cry:

Can't help but to think that if we could or would have gotten a couple of star commits we would gain momentum at the end. Too bad about McNamara. I think a commitment from him would have gotten things rolling.

Can't help but to think that if we could or would have gotten a couple of star commits we would gain momentum at the end. Too bad about McNamara. I think a commitment from him would have gotten things rolling.

yup, breaking through is definitely the hardest part...

we can not really blame EB or JE on their recruiting. I know that is why (allot to do with it) they were hired. We need to keep in mind that as much as we love CU - the average 17 year old kid think we suck... The win / loss records over the last 5/6 years play a bigger role in their decisions then we give credit. As an adult, we would like them to see the potential for play time help in the decision, but they are just kids

We need to keep in mind that as much as we love CU - the average 17 year old kid think we suck... The win / loss records over the last 5/6 years play a bigger role in their decisions then we give credit. As an adult, we would like them to see the potential for play time help in the decision, but they are just kids

So true. 17 year olds, who are used to being the best player on the field, believe they will be the best player anywhere they go. It doesn't occur to some of them that they might not see the field right away, or they might not dominate at the next level. Many want to be a star player on a great team, and most of them think that will happen right away.

No doubt...Taylor is a great player. However, based on the reasons he gave for choosing the Sooners, he probably doesn't fit the culture Embo is trying to bring to Colorado. We need players that excel when faced with the challenge of building something from scratch. Taylor strikes me as someone that prefers to be a part of something that is already great. There is nothing wrong with his position. They are simply two different personality types, that will succeed in different environments.

For further information see: Now, Discover Your Strengths (Buckingham & Clifton)

Refuse to buy into "We want guys who want to be buffs" nonsense. I say nonsense because it isn't a logical argument or statement. Guys who sign with us want to be buffs, and guys who don't don't want to be buffs. UGH. STOP SAYING IT.

Last edited:
Refuse to buy into "We want guys who want to be buffs" nonsense. I say statement because it isn't a logical argument or statement. Guys who sign with us want to be buffs, and guys who don't don't want to be buffs. UGH. STOP SAYING IT.

Get with the program. It's just that type of non-linear thinking that allows fans to love everyone on our team and hate everyone who goes somewhere else. Circular logic ftmfw.

Get with the program. It's just that type of non-linear thinking that allows fans to love everyone on our team and hate everyone who goes somewhere else. Circular logic ftmfw.
Weird, cause I don't need circular logic to do that. Start with this premise: The Buffs are inherently better than everyone else. **** everyone else, and go buffs. I don't see how you need to believe that nonsense about recruiting to believe in the obvious truth I have bolded.

Refuse to buy into "We want guys who want to be buffs" nonsense. I say nonsense because it isn't a logical argument or statement. Guys who sign with us want to be buffs, and guys who don't don't want to be buffs. UGH. STOP SAYING IT.

I currently run a large organization for a Fortune 200 company. I'll say this: Not everyone with great skills ends up being successful in your organization/team. You need people with the right mindset to accept the challenges your organization faces at that point in time. The people you need to build a new organization see success in completely different ways than people who are great at maintaining an already successful organization. Research shows that people who excel in one type, generally don’t excel in the other. It is no different in college football.

The Buffs are in a unique position. They haven't had a winning record in 6 years, and have a fairly new coaching staff. They (most likely) won't be in the Rose Bowl next year, and may very well not even have a winning record in 2012. When people say "we want guys who want to be buffs", I think they're talking about the guys that are ready for the challenge.

That doesn't mean everyone who commits to the Buffs this year will buy in. I'm sure we’ll have plenty that come to Colorado because we were their best D1 option. We probably have some that have friends here, loved the campus, the academics, or some hot chick they met on a recruiting visit. But there is a pretty damn good chance the kids who commit to top-10 programs this year aren’t prepared to meet those challenges ahead of them at Colorado. It's okay...those kids are just incented in different ways, and chances are the situation wouldn’t work out for either of us anyhow.

Right Now Embree needs guys that are willing (no, “WANT”) to battle through adversity. He needs guys that get satisfaction from building something better (brick by brick). If I'm giving him some advice, he needs to find guys that have been through those situations before. Kids that don't have a silver spoon in their mouth, if you will. If/When the program turns around, he’ll need a different kind of player. Guys that excel in already successful organizations.

For my money, and at this point in time, I’d rather have a 3* talent who is ready for that challenge, than a 4-5* talent who isn’t.

Now, bring me a bunch of guys that want to be buffs. And a sandwich!

I currently run a large organization for a Fortune 200 company. I'll say this: Not everyone with great skills ends up being successful in your organization/team. You need people with the right mindset to accept the challenges your organization faces at that point in time. The people you need to build a new organization see success in completely different ways than people who are great at maintaining an already successful organization. Research shows that people who excel in one type, generally don’t excel in the other. It is no different in college football.

The Buffs are in a unique position. They haven't had a winning record in 6 years, and have a fairly new coaching staff. They (most likely) won't be in the Rose Bowl next year, and may very well not even have a winning record in 2012. When people say "we want guys who want to be buffs", I think they're talking about the guys that are ready for the challenge.

That doesn't mean everyone who commits to the Buffs this year will buy in. I'm sure we’ll have plenty that come to Colorado because we were their best D1 option. We probably have some that have friends here, loved the campus, the academics, or some hot chick they met on a recruiting visit. But there is a pretty damn good chance the kids who commit to top-10 programs this year aren’t prepared to meet those challenges ahead of them at Colorado. It's okay...those kids are just incented in different ways, and chances are the situation wouldn’t work out for either of us anyhow.

Right Now Embree needs guys that are willing (no, “WANT”) to battle through adversity. He needs guys that get satisfaction from building something better (brick by brick). If I'm giving him some advice, he needs to find guys that have been through those situations before. Kids that don't have a silver spoon in their mouth, if you will. If/When the program turns around, he’ll need a different kind of player. Guys that excel in already successful organizations.

For my money, and at this point in time, I’d rather have a 3* talent who is ready for that challenge, than a 4-5* talent who isn’t.

Disagree. Right now he needs players that are able to compete vs legitimate BCS talent.

It seems like I read a variation of these posts every single year when recruiting is not going well. Obviously character matters and you cannot ignore it (2008 class), but at some point, talent has to matter too.

How many guys on the roster do opposing teams actually gameplan around? Those are the types of players we are striking out on.

I am expecting a large donation to the Buff Club from you.

very well put - that is what i mean when i say "want to be a BUFF" ! (just didn't want to say guys that will bring their lunch pail" that has been done to death by you know who

If you go to the newsroom, RSSbot justed posted a recruiting interview with Embree. Nothing earth shattering (except mention of some silent verbals), but gives you his perspective.

Hey Dan, just because you got to call the Air Force bowl game last night doesn't mean you get to say that you run a large organization for a Fortune 200 company...

It's great to have the Cody Hawkins type guys on our team, but we may also want some 4 and 5 star studs don't ya think?

Being a 4/5 star talent and have the hunger for a challenge are not mutually exclusive.

Recruiting and coaching with Dan Hawkins' belief of getting guys who no other BCS schools offered are not mutually exclusive with winning BCS games. I'm all for having the challenge accepting, lunch pail, hard nosed guys. But this is the PAC 12. We are gonna need some serious talent, speed and size to win.

I will expect nothing but the best at CU. I continue to support Embree. He appears to be building this program the right way. And I will back him until I see the program start to nose dive. No reason why we need to justify losing games and recruiting battles forever.

Hey Dan, just because you got to call the Air Force bowl game last night doesn't mean you get to say that you run a large organization for a Fortune 200 company...

It's great to have the Cody Hawkins type guys on our team, but we may also want some 4 and 5 star studs don't ya think?

#1: I'm not Dan. I wouldn't hire him to tie my shoes, let alone work in my organization.
#2: I never said Cody Hawkins was even a 3* talent (cue debate on Cody Hawkins talent level).
#3: I don't disagree that a pile 4-5* talent is necessary if we're going to dominate the PAC12. However, the realist in me says Embree is better off RIGHT NOW burning calories getting the right 3* guys, than chasing a bunch of 4-5* talent we don't have much of a shot at.

The highest rated guys we seem to be (or have been) in contention for this year seem to be TEs and CBs. Embree's not stupid and knows we actually have a selling point there (Mackey and Thorpe Awards for players coached by this staff). We'll need to win a few more games to get in on 4-5* talent at every position.

Being a 4/5 star talent and have the hunger for a challenge are not mutually exclusive.

Exactly.

I think all of us would take a 3* with extremely high football character (work ethic, competitiveness, team-first, clutch gene) over a 4*/5* who doesn't have that character.

But I get the feeling that a lot of people think that great athletes are simply born that way. Truth is, a lot of guys who excel do so because they work harder and care more than those of us who didn't reach that level. Blue Chip /= Prima Donna. The key is identifying and landing the Blue Chip players who will also be your team leaders.

I also believe that once a culture is firmly established you can take some character risks if they have special talent. New England Patriots are a great example of this. They're also a case study in caution, though, because they won their 3 championships with some of their less talented teams (especially the first one).

I guess that depends on what the challenge is.

I bet most of them are up for the challenge of competing with & against the best players in the nation. But I doubt too many of them are up for the challenge of turning around a 3-9 team, coached by a staff with a limited track record.

Except for 'tini we were all 17 years old once. Right? Here's how my head worked back then: Good team = Good Coaches = My Best Shot at NFL. Therefore, go to Good Team.

Back