What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Recruiting so far...

What grade would you give Tucker and his staff for their recruiting efforts so far?

• A

Votes: 23 9.7%
  • A-

Votes: 39 16.5%
  • B+

Votes: 72 30.5%
  • B

Votes: 60 25.4%
  • B-

Votes: 19 8.1%
  • C+

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • C

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • C-

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • D

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • F

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
Now Noyer is an answer but Lewis starting day one is a bridge too far? Wow.
Come on it's not like you need to be Peyton Manning to be a good college qb and mobility is the college qb best friend they wouldn't have moved him to safety

Or, stay with a me a minute, you recruit over them with good to great players from high school in future classes.
Not to mention no matter how much we love this class, they’ll be misses. There always is. So if say a Lichtenhan? doesn’t develop like they hoped, you cut him loose and take a transfer.

I’d disagree. Noyer never had it as a qb. Seems like his only other offer was like Eastern Washington. He’s still got Lytle and Stenstrom. That’s why many in this group are for a grad transfer to add to the competition. Just bc a lot of us in this board think Lewis will be the guy doesn’t mean that Mel is going to just hand him every single rep and the other guys will just watch.

Did you watch the spring game?

My concern is we anoint Lewis as the QB. We have a "competition" with Lytle and Stenstrom, but neither of those guys are probably any good. So we're Lewis or bust at that point and then what if he just isn't good? We're assuming he's Kedon Slovis or Jaydon Daniels, but what if he's more JT Daniels from 2 years ago? Lewis is a good recruit, but really not any higher rated or more of a sure thing than Lytle was?

I guess the possibility exists we haul in someone, say Sears, and he isn't good either. I just see it like Lytle/Stenstrom are not the answer at all, so we need another option at least. I don't want to try to become Oklahoma and just hauling in a new grad transfer at QB every year, but next year I'd feel a lot more comfortable with a Lewis/Jake Rubley battle for QB than a Lewis/notgoods battle this year.

Not to mention even if Lewis is good, what if he gets hurt? Do we really trust Lytle or Stenstrom to win us a game?

Did you watch the spring game?
Yes I did. What I didn’t watch, and neither did you is practice EVERY SINGLE DAY. I was also not in meetings. If you think our coach is so dumb that he said that guys got the it factor but I’d rather move him to safety id suggest not watching the next few years bc were gonna be in trouble.

Haha. I’d love that. We’ve got to show the ability to do that. This whole thing started to fix the classes from 16-18 before Tucker. Obv you hope we can get to that point but you have to fill those gaps from the previous staffs incompetence

Only because the previous staff refused to do so. In fact, you seem to be doubling down on the previous staff's "solution" to upgrading talent. When in doubt, ALWAYS go JUCO or GT route.

Come on it's not like you need to be Peyton Manning to be a good college qb and mobility is the college qb best friend they wouldn't have moved him to safety

Wut?

My concern is we anoint Lewis as the QB. We have a "competition" with Lytle and Stenstrom, but neither of those guys are probably any good. So we're Lewis or bust at that point and then what if he just isn't good? We're assuming he's Kedon Slovis or Jaydon Daniels, but what if he's more JT Daniels from 2 years ago? Lewis is a good recruit, but really not any higher rated or more of a sure thing than Lytle was?

I guess the possibility exists we haul in someone, say Sears, and he isn't good either. I just see it like Lytle/Stenstrom are not the answer at all, so we need another option at least. I don't want to try to become Oklahoma and just hauling in a new grad transfer at QB every year, but next year I'd feel a lot more comfortable with a Lewis/Jake Rubley battle for QB than a Lewis/notgoods battle this year.

Not to mention even if Lewis is good, what if he gets hurt? Do we really trust Lytle or Stenstrom to win us a game?
Right now we have 3 unknowns, all with some things we liked on their HS film. Simple math says that making that 4 guys improves our odds of having a good starter and quality backup.

I found it very interesting that certain schools handle the QBs situations differently. Three quick examples Utah USC and Baylor all keep 6,7 or 8 QBs around. Many on scholarship. Even ASU last year had 3 QBs. Highly rated in one class.

Once again another issue that a transfer solves is that we are very close to the 25 limit but any attrition in the rest of the roster opens up spots in the 85 limit. You can only recruit so many a year.
One thing I like about Mel Tucker he does not use the word rebuilding, nor does he divide the kids between his kids and those recruited by other coaches. He just came in and started to work to fill in holes to make us ready to go.

All of our QBs have played like ****, QBs sometimes throw int shocker. Hopefully the cure for this miserable discussion is Lewis comes in and tears it up

Just imagine if we had intentionally given Stenstrom / Lytle 4-5-6 quarters throughout this season, so that maybe, JUST MAYBE, we had any clue what they were actually capable of, in a real game, with the outcome not already decided.

What a novel idea.

Just imagine if we had intentionally given Stenstrom / Lytle 4-5-6 quarters throughout this season, so that maybe, JUST MAYBE, we had any clue what they were actually capable of, in a real game, with the outcome not already decided.

What a novel idea.
****ing a thank you. I would rather get a grad transfer qb so Lewis isn't forced to play if he isn't ready. Don't bother redshirting him and let him get meaningful snaps this year

What a novel idea.
I'm pretty sure HCMT knows what we have at QB and the reasons those guys didn't play. Not having an incumbent might have been a factor for Lewis but IDK. Trust the process.

Those guys didn’t play and didn’t beat out Montez. They didn’t go to them when Montez was putting up bad games. I don’t think Tucker likes to lose. So, count me on the bring in a Grad transfer to increase the competition train.

The thing I love about the QB competition and how it shakes out is that Lewis will be an early enrollee.

Grad transfers generally happen over the summer.

We'll have all of winter conditioning and spring practices with the 3 guys battling during which Johnson & Tucker will find out if we could use a grad transfer QB.

I'm still holding out that Lytle can be a pretty good college QB. I also don't think Lewis plays much his Freshman year (he had multiple 2 INT games in HS, the P5 level is far more challenging). I would like to actually see Lytle play and if he fails then bring in Lewis - but Lytle may very well be a solid bridge QB until Lewis is ready as a Red Shirt Freshman or Sophomore.

This staff will give Lewis the chance to win the job this spring. If they don't feel he can take over the reins in 2020, then they will go the grad transfer route. I really think that it will be as simple as that.

The biggest question will be if Stenstrom and Lytle both transfer, or just one of the two.

A secondary advantage of starting a GT QB next year is it will absolutely help in recruiting a top shelf QB in next year’s recruiting class. Seeing an entrenched true freshman starter at QB tends to give QB recruits second thoughts about their opportunity if you are not a blue blood. They are much less concerned about a top shelf QB recruit redshirting or riding the pine.

Yeah, that’s why schools can never get more than one top shelf QB at a time. Mel won’t be recruiting players scared of competition.

I could see either Lytle or Stenstrom transferring after the spring game depending on how the competition goes. But that opinion is me putting myself in their shoes and isn’t based on any evidence.

It's interesting to me that the poll explicitly focuses on recruiting efforts, not recruiting results.

That being said, from the comments, it appears more are interested in discussing results than in discussing effort. I agree with this prioritization, as I don't really care how hard you tried, I care whether or not you achieved.

If anything, i'm more impressed with someone who achieves great results with minimum effort. My mother was a college prof, as a child I recall asking her "if someone is trying really hard and they're on the boundary between two grades, are you more inclined to give them the higher grade since they're working harder?" Her response was, "no, I'm more likely to give them the lower grade to send the message that they might not be smart enough to cut it". I could argue both sides of this philosophy, but I realize now that comment definitely shaped my views on effort vs results.
that context stated, my take:
  • results: B+ //4th in conference is stellar considering our performance over the last decade
  • effort: C- //this is hard to quantify, but if I assume that money spent roughly correlates to effort expended, it looks like we're in the bottom half of the Pac12, although i'm not finding reliable 2019 recruiting budget data
this tells me that t he new coaching staff is doing more with less. I'm highly impressed. I voted for effort, as the poll requested.

"if someone is trying really hard and they're on the boundary between two grades, are you more inclined to give them the higher grade since they're working harder?" Her response was, "no, I'm more likely to give them the lower grade to send the message that they might not be smart enough to cut it"

lol that’s some positive reinforcement! “I know you’re trying really hard but you’re too stupid to excel here.”

lol that’s some positive reinforcement! “I know you’re trying really hard but you’re too stupid to excel here.”
yeah, she was definitely not one to give anyone positive reinforcement.

I returned to college in my mid-30's (had dropped/flunked out at age 19) pursuing a technical degree. Two years into this on a part-time basis, I had only taken math, science and engineering classes, but was maintaining a 4.0. I started taking a sociology class, and mom told me "this is where you'll break it -- no chance you get an A in a soc class". That pissed me off so much, I did pull out the A, but I blew the 4.0 two semesters later in my math proof's class.

This sounds whiny about something that happened a long time ago. She was a bitch -- I chose to not emulate my parents' parenting styles. But, I also believe that negative experiences drive growth -- "that which does not kill you makes you stronger"

Back