What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Recruiting talent complaint.

and another thing...

crowder, mallory, fairbanks, the original Coach Mac, skippy, barnett, hawkins, and embree...

what do they ALL have in common?

each brought in at least one top 25 class. and, up until hawk and embree, all brought in MULTIPLE top 25 classes, including several top 10 classes.

there are roughly 60 teams in the bigs (the p12, sec, b12, bIG, etc.). there are roughly half of those that legitimately can compete for national championships. to be in that group, you need to recruit well. every year. we used to do so. for decades.

acting like we can't expect them to outperform the record on the recruiting trail is defeatist bull****. that.is.their.job. this is a reclamation project. i get that. but it needs to get underway. i am very optimistic based upon reports out of camp on how they coach and conduct themselves. that's awesome. this job also requires them to recruit well.

and another thing...

crowder, mallory, fairbanks, the original Coach Mac, skippy, barnett, hawkins, and embree...

what do they ALL have in common?

each brought in at least one top 25 class. and, up until hawk and embree, all brought in MULTIPLE top 25 classes, including several top 10 classes.

there are roughly 60 teams in the bigs (the p12, sec, b12, bIG, etc.). there are roughly half of those that legitimately can compete for national championships. to be in that group, you need to recruit well. every year. we used to do so. for decades.

acting like we can't expect them to outperform the record on the recruiting trail is defeatist bull****. that.is.their.job. this is a reclamation project. i get that. but it needs to get underway. i am very optimistic based upon reports out of camp on how they coach and conduct themselves. that's awesome. this job also requires them to recruit well.

Coach Mac did not recruit very well until he showed progress on the field first. Barnett and Skippy got to recruit off of Coach Mac's success.

My complaint is that we're taking so many of the low rated commits before we even get into the season. Let's show some of the better players what kind of offense we run and what kind of attitude we've developed.

To answer your question, I expect our very expensive coaching staff to recruit better than our record and not use that as an excuse. They are new to CU, but they had a hell of a lot of success at a school on the west coast, so they shouldn't be total strangers in the Pac 12 footprint. They should be selling the University, themselves, and what they accomplished at a school in a similar situation.

I don't expect a top 25 class, but I do expect to be better than the low 60s. There is still time, I know, but unlike some people here, I really don't see us getting a huge boost by going from 1 win to 3 or 4 - that's still a pretty sh**ty season by most standards.

I WANT, I WANT.....I NEED, I NEED. I have no rational or realistic basis for this expectation but damn it, they should be recruting better. : ) I'm kidding, of course, but it seems to me that your expectiations are not well developed or defined. Is Mac taking projects on right now? You bet, its the only way he can get upside for the future. If he takes only the best 3 stars he can find right now who are already maxed out on talent, we will have a mediocre team in a few years. If he takes some boys with the frame and athletic ability to project into ass-kickers in a few years, he'll miss on a few but he'll be able to build the others into good to great players. He is doing it right. We are not going to win a lot of games this year but many of these boys will be rapidly growing into men in the meantime. We'll see great improvement and next year should have a realistic chance at a minor bowl. We are 3-4 years out from being a legitimate threat in my opinion.

My complaint is that we're taking so many of the low rated commits before we even get into the season. Let's show some of the better players what kind of offense we run and what kind of attitude we've developed.

We still have like 10 open spots.

I WANT, I WANT.....I NEED, I NEED. I have no rational or realistic basis for this expectation but damn it, they should be recruting better. : ) I'm kidding, of course, but it seems to me that your expectiations are not well developed or defined. Is Mac taking projects on right now? You bet, its the only way he can get upside for the future. If he takes only the best 3 stars he can find right now who are already maxed out on talent, we will have a mediocre team in a few years. If he takes some boys with the frame and athletic ability to project into ass-kickers in a few years, he'll miss on a few but he'll be able to build the others into good to great players. He is doing it right. We are not going to win a lot of games this year but many of these boys will be rapidly growing into men in the meantime. We'll see great improvement and next year should have a realistic chance at a minor bowl. We are 3-4 years out from being a legitimate threat in my opinion.

this is, sadly, probably correct--- i just don't want to have to wait 3-4 years. i.want.it.all. i.want.it.now.

:lol:

I never knew Embree got a top 25 class. We must have a ton of talent on the roster

We still have like 10 open spots.

11 or 12 depending on how many we end up taking, which Adam said the current number is 21. Another thing, the guy from Utah won't count against this class and will count against the 2016 class

Why does it have to be either, or? All 3 stars and above are not maxed out physically or talent wise, so the idea that taking these lightly recruited kids is the best way to ensure we get kids who can develop over the course of their careers doesn't make any sense.

I understand the disadvantages (recent performance, facilities, etc.), but it's another chicken and the egg argument - what is going to change? I don't see facilities getting built any time soon, and we aren't recruiting very well, so we must be back to hoping we hired someone who is going to out-coach teams in our conference despite inferior talent. There are some very good coaches in this conference so that's a tough way to rebuild until we can begin to even the playing field talent-wise.

Why does it have to be either, or? All 3 stars and above are not maxed out physically or talent wise, so the idea that taking these lightly recruited kids is the best way to ensure we get kids who can develop over the course of their careers doesn't make any sense.

I understand the disadvantages (recent performance, facilities, etc.), but it's another chicken and the egg argument - what is going to change? I don't see facilities getting built any time soon, and we aren't recruiting very well, so we must be back to hoping we hired someone who is going to out-coach teams in our conference despite inferior talent. There are some very good coaches in this conference so that's a tough way to rebuild until we can begin to even the playing field talent-wise.

Facilities don't even need to be finished to start recruiting. Many programs start selling the facilities before construction even starts, just telling kids that it will be ready before they are done.

Mac I believe is a good coach, and we should pull out one or two we have no business winning. He almost beat stanford with the #99 and #100 recruiting classes. Those will not cut it here in the long run, but it may be enough to get over the hump. We have been a patient fanbase, but we are going to need to stay patient.

Enbree's best class. 2012, was ranked in the mid 30s. The only reason it was ranked that high was due to the sheer number of recruits signed. The average star rating of that class was 2.89.

In the WAC - that's not going to work in the Pac 12.

What are you expectations in terms of wins and losses from this class? It's not goin to have you beating the upper PAC 12 teams but I believe with some time and coaching them up it will get us to the 6-7 win range which will then lead to better recruiting.

Enbree's best class. 2012, was ranked in the mid 30s. The only reason it was ranked that high was due to the sheer number of recruits signed. The average star rating of that class was 2.89.

It also had highly rated guys like Dillon and Kisima Jagne.

if we win, it will improve, of course.

patience is not my strong suit at this point. after the epic suck that was the embree era, preceded by the nearly epic tease then suck until it hurts of the hawkins era, i am all out of wait and see.

Donta Abron RBUpland, CAUpland5'9"1872 stars5.412/12/11
Kenneth Crawley DBWashington, District of ColumbiaH. D. Woodson6'1"1704 stars5.81/23/12
Terrence Crowder RBGalena Park, TXGalena Park5'10"2124.52 stars5.26/13/11
Shane Dillon QBEl Cajon, CAChristian6'5"1854.63 stars5.75/12/11
Jeffrey Hall DBLaPlace, LASt. Charles Catholic5'11"1803 stars5.51/29/12
Tyler Henington DTDenver, COMullen6'3"2653 stars5.63/24/11
Vincent Hobbs TEMesquite, TXHorn6'3"2304.73 stars5.61/29/12
Jeromy Irwin OLCypress, TXCy-Fair6'5"2893 stars5.68/28/11
Sean Irwin TECypress, TXCy-Fair6'4"2203 stars5.58/28/11
Kisima Jagne DEChandler, AZChandler6'5"2354.53 stars5.712/9/11
Samson Kafovalu DERiverside, CAArlington6'3"2533 stars5.512/16/11
Gerrad Kough OLPomona, CAPomona6'5"2702 stars5.47/1/11
Marques Mosley ATHUpland, CAUpland6'1"1743 stars5.512/20/11
Clay Norgard RBHighlands Ranch, COMountain Vista6'2"2404.83 stars5.62/17/11
Davien Payne RBPerris, CACitrus Hill5'11"2134.63 stars5.68/9/11
Christian Powell ATHUpland, CAUpland5'11"2503 stars5.61/31/12
Kory Rasmussen DTHonolulu, HIKamehameha School6'3"2552 stars5.412/19/11
Austin Ray TEColumbia, MORock Bridge6'6"2353 stars5.511/22/11
Justin Solis DTWestlake Village, CAWestlake6'3"2874.93 stars5.67/13/11
John Stuart DEWestlake Village, CAWestlake6'4"2304.72 stars5.412/5/11
Gerald Thomas WRThe Colony, TXThe Colony5'10"1704.43 stars5.57/5/11
Jeffrey Thomas WRDuncanville, TXDuncanville6'3"1804.73 stars5.66/18/11
Josh Tupou DTBuena Park, CABuena Park6'4"3023 stars5.512/11/11
John Walker DBWashington, District of ColumbiaH. D. Woodson6'0"1753 stars5.51/12/12
Peyton Williams WRSouthlake, TXCarroll6'1"1854.53 stars5.67/13/11
De'Jon Wilson DEWashington, District of ColumbiaH. D. Woodson6'3"2404.73 stars5.511/28/11
Yuri Wright DBRamsey, NJDon Bosco Prep6'2"1804 stars5.91/24/12

It's just downright scary how many of those guys are gone / never showed up. It doesn't matter if you have 2-stars or 5-stars when half the class is gone after a year.

What are you expectations in terms of wins and losses from this class? It's not goin to have you beating the upper PAC 12 teams but I believe with some time and coaching them up it will get us to the 6-7 win range which will then lead to better recruiting.

Not sure I understand your question (this class?), if you're asking what my W/L expectation is for this season I think 3 wins, maybe 4 if our OL stays healthy and Wood plays as well as we all hope he will.

If you're asking about this recruiting class specifically, I would say we're recruiting about where you would expect a 1 win BCS team to recruit, which isn't going to help us improve from the Pac 12 cellar unless Mac turns out to be a brilliant game planner and motivator.

If you're suggesting that several years worth of recruiting classes like this one would be good enough for us to get to 6-7 wins, then I strongly disagree.

Back