What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Redshirt rule change passed, players can play in up to 4 games without burning RS

This is huge! Allows two things that will make a big difference.
1. When a player thinks they are ready, but coach knows they aren't, instead of just saying you're a red shirt, coach can put him in early season games against lesser competition. Allowing the young man to get some proof he isn't ready and then have that conversation that a red shirt would be best.
2. Allows coach to play Freshman that have put in a lot of time and effort to make themselves ready at the end of the year when they can have a big impact without burning the red shirt season. (Gonna make some elite teams all that much more difficult to beat).

This is huge! Allows two things that will make a big difference.
1. When a player thinks they are ready, but coach knows they aren't, instead of just saying you're a red shirt, coach can put him in early season games against lesser competition. Allowing the young man to get some proof he isn't ready and then have that conversation that a red shirt would be best.
2. Allows coach to play Freshman that have put in a lot of time and effort to make themselves ready at the end of the year when they can have a big impact without burning the red shirt season. (Gonna make some elite teams all that much more difficult to beat).

I really like this for bowl games as well. Can add an interesting layer to it in a change of guard kinda theme, show off the future and give the old guard a send off.

This will be huge for young QB development and evaluation.

Well, at least for teams that aren't led by coaches who bend over backwards to make sure that the starting QB gets every single snap in every single game unless they're seriously injured. Not that we know any coach that fits that description or anything...

I think this is good for the game and good for kids.

For the kids we have had those who have not played early in a season then sometime after the fourth game gone in for a few plays only to get hurt but it has cost them an entire season. If I read this right that will no longer be the case.

It will also mean that not just QBs but all kids can get a little playing time both rewarding them for their work in practice but also getting a feel for the college game making their practice and development time more valuable.

It will also mean that in those blow out games it will be easier for the team winning to put in younger guys and throttle back further.

Question: Does this level the playing field a bit since thinner teams can plug in almost ready frosh during injury periods instead of using walk ons, etc., or does this just make the rich richer since even Bama can sell playing time for at least part of the season while they are up 55-0 on north west carolina tech?

Question: Does this level the playing field a bit since thinner teams can plug in almost ready frosh during injury periods instead of using walk ons, etc., or does this just make the rich richer since even Bama can sell playing time for at least part of the season while they are up 55-0 on north west carolina tech?

Does this have to be either/or?

Probably a bit of both, but the blue bloods are going to recruit in the top 10 every year, regardless, and I doubt they really miss out on much by having to tell kids they'll RS. Definitely think it helps the CU's of the world more. We probably would have have seen Pursell and Sherman get some time last year, Fontenot definitely would have seen some snaps, Chris Miller and maybe Lang? Definitely provides experience and development opportunity for the programs who don't have 4* kids across the board in the two deep, IMO.

Rich get richer because great programs are not afraid to play young players.
Yeah, but what is Alabama gaining by playing their 4* Freshman over their 4* Sophomore or Junior? Sure it gets them some game experience, but I can't see it making nearly as much of a difference as it would for a program like CU. Of course, MM will need to take advantage of the rule and actually play the Freshman, but if managed correctly, I definitely think the development and experience of less talented players will go further for our squad than whatever plus this is for the blue bloods.

Yeah, but what is Alabama gaining by playing their 4* Freshman over their 4* Sophomore or Junior? Sure it gets them some game experience, but I can't see it making nearly as much of a difference as it would for a program like CU. Of course, MM will need to take advantage of the rule and actually play the Freshman, but if managed correctly, I definitely think the development and experience of less talented players will go further for our squad than whatever plus this is for the blue bloods.

It gives them depth. Bama is not playing their LBs every snap of every game. In fact, some starters *gasp* lose their job in the MIDDLE OF A SEASON.

Seems to be most likely to help teams with less depth, so probably tends to level the field. I also wouldn't anticipate a coach would play a true freshmen in early non-conference games if he wanted to redshirt him--too much risk he might be needed later in the season after an injury. So the likes of Alabama would only see these freshman in conference games.

Does this have to be either/or?
nope. As @Duff Man noted, I think it helps the rich more, since now even bama can promise every player playing time. I think overall, it helps the top teams recruit, but in situations where injury wrecks a team, it will provide specific short term benefits.

It gives them depth. Bama is not playing their LBs every snap of every game. In fact, some starters *gasp* lose their job in the MIDDLE OF A SEASON.
Alabama can spell their starters with really good players who have already used their RS and they don't really miss a beat. I don't see the depth this creates for teams who don't actually struggle with depth...

Alabama can spell their starters with really good players who have already used their RS and they don't really miss a beat. I don't see the depth this creates for teams who don't actually struggle with depth...

But Bama plays a lot of true freshmen anyway. The expectation is you earn your keep from the moment you step on campus there. Just a completely different mentality which will not be bridged by a rule change.

But Bama plays a lot of true freshmen anyway. The expectation is you earn your keep from the moment you step on campus there. Just a completely different mentality which will not be bridged by a rule change.
You're making a great point and really driving home the fact that MM and CU have been extremely hesitant in playing True Freshman and allowing for true open competitions between them and the older players. I just don't understand what that has to do with the who this rule change benefits more. If Alabama is playing a bunch of True Freshman anyways, this rule change doesn't really mean much.

The hope for CU is that it get MM more comfortable with the idea of playing True Freshman, getting them valuable experience, and perhaps seeing that some of them are actually more impactful than some of the older players.

I think it helps everyone, but I think it helps the average program more than the elite program. The reason I say this is that elite programs don't plan on the talent they recruit to be there for more than 3 or 4 years if they're good enough so they don't like to waste a year with a redshirt unless there's an injury reason for it. So their true freshmen are already playing.

But for the average program that's redshirting 60-80% of its freshman class? This allows them to play those guys a bit, keep them engaged, and give them opportunities at the end of the season when the team is often wearing down or getting thin on depth (and when those guys have now had 3 months from Aug-Oct to train and get better).

Last year, for example, I can guarantee Pursell would have been playing in November under this rule if it didn't cost a year of eligibility.

You're making a great point and really driving home the fact that MM and CU have been extremely hesitant in playing True Freshman and allowing for true open competitions between them and the older players. I just don't understand what that has to do with the who this rule change benefits more. If Alabama is playing a bunch of True Freshman anyways, this rule change doesn't really mean much.

The hope for CU is that it get MM more comfortable with the idea of playing True Freshman, getting them valuable experience, and perhaps seeing that some of them are actually more impactful than some of the older players.
Exactly this. If the D-Line isn't getting it done early in the season there is no hesitation popping in a guy like Antwine to see if he's an upgrade.

Seems like it's a huge change. Freshmen can practice with team and then play last four games of season -- including a bowl? -- as they get stronger and more understanding, and as the coaches see if they're up to it.

As mentioned, the freshmen can also prove or disprove for his own satisfaction.

Now almost seems like "five to play five".

Seems like it's a huge change. Freshmen can practice with team and then play last four games of season -- including a bowl? -- as they get stronger and more understanding, and as the coaches see if they're up to it.

As mentioned, the freshmen can also prove or disprove for his own satisfaction.

Now almost seems like "five to play five".
More like "5 to play 4 1/3", but yeah. :)

Ok, so a technical question: do the four games played have to be consecutive, or can a guy go into game 3, game 5, game 9 and game 12?

Ok, so a technical question: do the four games played have to be consecutive, or can a guy go into game 3, game 5, game 9 and game 12?
Do not have to be consecutive and can be any time of the season. Just can't appear in more than 4 games. I suppose that would mean a 3 game limit if you want the player to play in your bowl game or conference championship game. But at a certain point we'd be talking about a guy in the 2-deep at that point and someone like that isn't redshirting anyway.

I wonder how many schools where already doing this with the idea of playing a guy in the early games a few plays and him "getting injured" and out for the rest of the year but back in practice. Of course we all know that college coaches would never cheat.

In this way the rule kind of levels the playing field.

This is ****ing awesome! Now you no longer have to ‘truly’ redshirt anyone because you can at least give them game reps during their first season. It helps with depth, it helps with injuries and it helps with evaluations. If you’re already in a bowl game you could give a QB a start if he’s your #2 guy. There’s no downside to this outside of the fact the elite programs now have more depth than ever. They can now give players rest at the end of the season and start or spell their 4 Star freshman in their place.

I wonder how many schools where already doing this with the idea of playing a guy in the early games a few plays and him "getting injured" and out for the rest of the year but back in practice. Of course we all know that college coaches would never cheat.

In this way the rule kind of levels the playing field.

What would be the benefit of this if the player could practice regardless?

What would be the benefit of this if the player could practice regardless?

Because they can save his four games for use throughout the season instead of just playing early then acting hurt the rest of the year.

This would also mean that teams that have bad years and are out of contention for a bowl or their season goals can start the transition to younger players in the last few games of a season without worrying about losing a years eligibility for a couple late games.

Back