What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Reflections on the Jon Embree Era

Mike Bohn didn't have the right vision for the football program. Should have been fired after Dan Hawkins was let go. If you are going to hire John Embree, a first time coach. How can you hire two first time coordinators to work with him. A strong AD would have recommended staff changes. It was also difficult to get guys enrolled.
Has everyone realized and accepted at this point that it was not Mike Bohn but Phil DiStefano who made certain decisions -- such as waiting a year too long to fire Hawkins and bowing to certain pressures to install a "true Buff" to replace Hawkins? Bohn had nothing to do with hiring Embree. It was political.

Has everyone realized and accepted at this point that it was not Mike Bohn but Phil DiStefano who made certain decisions -- such as waiting a year too long to fire Hawkins and bowing to certain pressures to install a "true Buff" to replace Hawkins? Bohn had nothing to do with hiring Embree. It was political.
In hindsight, I think we should all be able to agree that Mike Bohn is a pretty decent AD when he's not being jerked around by admistration. He's definitely not the Golem many around here have made him out to be. Hell, I'd take him back.

Yeah, the whole timeline of when Phil D assumed the chancellorship and the decided and obvious decline of the prestige of the athletic program are too coincidental not to be related. Makes me want to pump the brakes on my support for firing Rick George, for sure.

It will be interesting to watch USC and how Mike handles 2 tier 1 programs in terms of demands. He did a great job her with basketball and not with football (admin issues may or may not have been the reason). NOw at SC he's got a great football atmosphere, and expectation and support of winning culture AND an ascendant basketball program.

Embo thought he would be given a few years to build the team that is why he relied so much on freshmen.
I was close to the teams back then, and to the AD - that was more about "his" guys than it was anything else. Its an NFL mentality - problem was back then there was no Transfer Portal/Free Agencey

I was close to the teams back then, and to the AD - that was more about "his" guys than it was anything else. Its an NFL mentality - problem was back then there was no Transfer Portal/Free Agencey
You're not telling the whole story, though. Embree also hated Hawkins with a passion. So anything DH did was something JE made it his mission to tear down. To the point of not being willing to utilize the same furniture. With players, it wasn't just that they weren't his guys - they were Dan Hawkins' guys.

In retrospect, I like Embree a lot more now.
He was in over his head. He wasn't ready to coach a program that had decent talent and administrative support much less this burning dumpster full of old tires.

He effectively ended his college coaching career with his flame out at the end but the administration almost asked him to do it.

What I will say though is that Embree loved the Buffs (still does) and put everything he had into what he discovered was an impossible situation. I think the flame out at the end was him seeing a dream (to be the Buffs coach) die and knowing he was being thrown under the bus and would likely never get a chance at it again.

In hindsight, I think we should all be able to agree that Mike Bohn is a pretty decent AD when he's not being jerked around by admistration. He's definitely not the Golem many around here have made him out to be. Hell, I'd take him back.
@buffedup you can take off the shades now. Allbuffs wants you back.

You're not telling the whole story, though. Embree also hated Hawkins with a passion. So anything DH did was something JE made it his mission to tear down. To the point of not being willing to utilize the same furniture. With players, it wasn't just that they weren't his guys - they were Dan Hawkins' guys.
So he wanted to burn the Hawkins era to the ground?

Back