What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

RG needs to move quickly.

Let’s play devils advocate again than. If Saban came from Alabama, yes his recruiting would probably be the same.

Saban previous to Alabama, do we think he builds the dynasty here he has at Alabama? We don’t have the pipeline of talent in Colorado like Alabam has access to. We recruit from much further away.
Alabama is in an awesome spot for players. Colorado can get the players. We just haven’t been dedicated to being national championship caliber for a long time.

I know it is a long time back but fact is that McCartney was recruiting at the level in his day that Bama is now. We had 9 out of 11 starters on a defense drafted including multiple first rounders.

Bama is in a good spot to recruit to but they also are in the middle of a bunch of competition for those same recruits.

If a Saban came to Colorado and the administration supported him (like Gordon Gee supported Bill McCartney) then yes we would dominate the PAC and be a yearly contender in the playoff.

So are we expecting to start hearing things on Sunday/Monday in terms of actual interviewed candidates? At this point, all our “candidates” seem like pure speculation.
My guess is that this is a tight lipped process.

Yeah. If nothing gets out before the hire is made it will be a frikin unicorn. There's always someone in the process who is using his media relationships to leverage some positive PR or building a media relationship by dropping some scoop on someone.

Yeah I think overall most of us are on the same page. We need to be in or near top 20 annually in recruiting (with several 4/5 star commits that aren't warty) and a coaching staff that consistently develops players to their maximum ability and are dialed in on game day. Any misses and we are in the same spot we are

Not sure why, but it seems like HCMM was more effective when dealing with mid tier players . This team is more talented that the 2016 team with a few notable exceptions (Lindsay, Tupuo are main ones.). For me Abad year at CU, even with the same recruiting we have had, is 6-7 wins. I still believe that are reality is 8-10 wins, with a run every few years. Maybe I'm too pessimistic but I think the idea of CU being on the same level with USC (if/when they get a legit staff again) and other blue bloods if tough for me to believe.
I think MM had a personality and style that appealed to players who felt like a underdog/ felt overlooked.

bring us the UNICORN. we must unleash the sleeping Buffalo. trample the grass basketball league into dust. salt their fields, burn their crops, pillage their homes, take their women!

and, on that note, it is time to savor my first thanksgiving beverage.

we gonna win. and win big. we start winning with this hire. the recruiting class will be winning. we will win the off-season. we will win, win, and win some more.

You wouldn’t call me slingblade if you knew who you were talking to.
T24LAQ

Agreed, but RG can’t control agents or other parties who are involved. Something has to come out prior to his announcement of the hire.
Everyone needs to keep in mind that the first leaks are likely going to be coming from agents of coaches who were not selected. So there's going to be an agenda behind them that may involve some spin that they decided against CU, not the other way around.

There'll be no reason for RG to "set the record straight" on those rumors. When he trots out the actual selection, no one will remember those rumors, so better to let the hiring of a quality coach do the talking.

Everyone needs to keep in mind that the first leaks are likely going to be coming from agents of coaches who were not selected. So there's going to be an agenda behind them that may involve some spin that they decided against CU, not the other way around.

There'll be no reason for RG to "set the record straight" on those rumors. When he trots out the actual selection, no one will remember those rumors, so better to let the hiring of a quality coach do the talking.
All the more reason to make this an expedient process.

Jim Leavitt is a damn good coach who did a damn fine job at CU on top of a distinguished career in the profession.

I agree that his recruiting reputation is built completely on the pr spin he does on himself rather than any actual results, but I do believe that as a HC he'd be a charismatic and aggressive closer.

He's not the guy I'd want to hire, but there's no need to rip him down.

My apologies Buffnik. I thought my immature comments about Leavitt were acceptable here at AB based on comments I've read here in the past regarding: Gary Bernardi, Jim Jeffcoat, Toby Neinas, Kent Baer, Brian Lindgren, DJ Eliot, Dan Hawkins, Mike MacIntyre and others.

It won't happen again... By me.

My apologies Buffnik. I thought my immature comments about Leavitt were acceptable here at AB based on comments I've read here in the past regarding: Gary Bernardi, Jim Jeffcoat, Toby Neinas, Kent Baer, Brian Lindgren, DJ Eliot, Dan Hawkins, Mike MacIntyre and others.

It won't happen again... By me.
**** that guy!

In-home visits have started. RG must move quickly. We can't be moving forward like Texas Tech is playing things.

Is this board ready for RG taking longer than everyone wants?
If he's got his sights set on Ryan Day or Jimmy Lake so he can't announce before next Sunday or Monday after their conference championship games, I think just about everyone on here & other fan media would be ok with it. If it's because of a bidding war we win over WVU and TTU to get Holgorsen, I think we'll be ok with it.

If he waits that long to hire someone like Matt Wells or Jedd Fisch or Jim Mora or Chuck Pagano, the reaction will not be so good.

If he's got his sights set on Ryan Day or Jimmy Lake so he can't announce before next Sunday or Monday after their conference championship games, I think just about everyone on here & other fan media would be ok with it. If it's because of a bidding war we win over WVU and TTU to get Holgorsen, I think we'll be ok with it.

If he waits that long to hire someone like Matt Wells or Jedd Fisch or Jim Mora or Chuck Pagano, the reaction will not be so good.

What is the actual realistic timeline?

Are there actual rules of engagement?

I want Jimmy Lake, so what is happening now, or what can happen the moment the P12 Championship game is over on Friday night?

If he views himself as a PAC 12 guy, he has to realize that PAC 12 HC jobs do not come open very often. He needs to strike when his stock is high. One UW sub-par season and he could be looking at a longer wait than for what may be available now or alternatively it could all go poof. I do not see any PAC 12 jobs opening soon when you consider all of the new hires absent a PAC 12 coach who is doing well jumping to the NFL or a blue blood. USC might come open next year but don't think he can bank on being a candidate for that. Must balance these realities against the Boulder track record of recent coaches ie the coaching graveyard concern vs. setting yourself up for life with a multi-year 3m dollar contract.

50 million should do the trick. I mean, if I’m a guys agent, and I know about the vulnerability of early signing periods, I’m a hold you over that barrel...

Back