What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rich Rod going to 'Zona.

If you can't recruit at Michigan then you fail at life. Seriously. We aren't talking about one of the lesser schools in the B1G. That team should never drop more than 4 a year. 5 maybe in a bowl.

The B1G/Michigan simply wasn't the right fit for Rich Rod's football philosophy, He also only got 3 years (improved every year), and it's true that it takes a while to implement his system (especially when you're taking over from Lloyd Carr -- talk about not having the right players). What he did at WVU was extremely impressive. Nehlen had left the cupboard bare, and RR was able to produce unprecedented success, culminating with a 32-5 mark his final years. He took WVU, a university in a state with zero FBS talent, and made them into a national title contender. I think the Pac will be a good fit for his spread offense, and he'll have Arizona as a perennial 7-9 win team if he assembles the right staff to recruit the west coast (unfamiliar territory for him).

The good news is we won't be recruiting many of the same players. The bad news is Arizona will experience more success under Rich Rod than they did under Mike Stoops.

Last edited:
Offense wasn't the problem, it was his defense, or lack there of.

Pledge Allegiance to the Swag

It fits with other teams in the PAC but not any different. I don't think he does much at Arizona though.

Pledge Allegiance to the Swag

If you're judging him purely on his tenure at Michigan, you'll be in for a rude awakening. Will he take Zona to the Rose Bowl? Unlikely. Will he make Zona a perennial 7-9 win team with some solid seasons (especially by their standards)? Likely.

The Pac12 $$$$$ is going to make the Pac12 draw big time coaches like the B1G and the SEC.

Hopefully we don't get left in the dust. This staff needs momentum before those guys come in, or start to like Dick Rod.

The B1G/Michigan simply wasn't the right fit for Rich Rod's football philosophy, He also only got 3 years (improved every year), and it's true that it takes a while to implement his system (especially when you're taking over from Lloyd Carr -- talk about not having the right players). What he did at WVU was extremely impressive. Nehlen had left the cupboard bare, and RR was able to produce unprecedented success, culminating with a 32-5 mark his final years. He took WVU, a university in a state with zero FBS talent, and made them into a national title contender. I think the Pac will be a good fit for his spread offense, and he'll have Arizona as a perennial 7-9 win team if he assembles the right staff to recruit the west coast (unfamiliar territory for him).

The good news is we won't be recruiting many of the same players. The bad news is Arizona will experience more success under Rich Rod than they did under Mike Stoops.

Agree with you overall, but it wasn't as simple as just not being the right style. If anyone is really interested in what went wrong w/ RR and Michigan (or just wants a good look inside a college football program), check out this book (admittedly, I'm only part way through it so far): http://www.amazon.com/Three-Out-Rod...4665/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321940976&sr=8-1. John Bacon (journalist/author) was embedded with the Michigan program through the entire tenure, had an amazing amount of access, and was very candid.

I am disappointed even a basketball school is going out and spending the money on a big name football coach whereas not having a CU degree was a degree was a KO factor in our coaching search.

I think the points about Oregon recruiting the athlete RRod needs is a good one, but I also think some of his success will depend on whether or not ASU makes a good hire. If he can do well recruiting AZ, that will go along way.

The other factor in recruiting that came to mind was the type of kid he can get into school. If I recall, Stoops lamented the kids ASU could get that UA's academic standards didn't allow. It'll be interesting to see if UA will relax some of it's standards.

I am disappointed even a basketball school is going out and spending the money on a big name football coach whereas not having a CU degree was a degree was a KO factor in our coaching search.

I hear what you're saying, but there really were other factors involved. We didn't have the Pac 12 money coming in when we hired Embree. That was all still up in the air at the time. There were a lot of political considerations in play as well. Not defending that, just telling it like it is.

I think its a solid hire, he will have that thing humming in 3 years....it SUCKS we are going to have to face that spread / QB run attack each year, but oh well.

This will definitely make life harder for us. That's probably the new reality with the PAC 12 as a whole with everyone getting richer. Hopefully our AD will figure out we need to spend money to make money.

This will definitely make life harder for us. That's probably the new reality with the PAC 12 as a whole with everyone getting richer. Hopefully our AD will figure out we need to spend money to make money.

:nod:

Again. I will be surprised if he does much. I'm not a fan of hiring coaches who have already been successful at one place and have struggled at other places. You either hire someone who has been successful at every big time stop he has been at (Nick Saban, Les Miles) or you get a hot coordinator who has learned from the best and is awaiting his turn to be a HC. JMO. He might prove me wrong but I doubt it. I see this as being Arizona's Chuck Fairbanks or Houston Nutt.

Rich Rod's success at West Virginia was probably overrated because of the Big East. Still, this is Arizona. While Rich Rod probably would not be the best choice for a traditional powerhouse, I think he is a fantastic hire for Arizona. This isn't good for us. He will pull some talent out of California.

I don't buy the "he will recruit a different type of player" logic. Are you saying a Justin Blackmon couldn't help the Buffs because he is in a spread offense?

Rich Rod's success at West Virginia was probably overrated because of the Big East. Still, this is Arizona. While Rich Rod probably would not be the best choice for a traditional powerhouse, I think he is a fantastic hire for Arizona. This isn't good for us. He will pull some talent out of California.

I don't buy the "he will recruit a different type of player" logic. Are you saying a Justin Blackmon couldn't help the Buffs because he is in a spread offense?

I agree with your first point, but as to your second, of course not, but Michigan has 3 or 4 WRs that see reasonably significant playing time that are 5'10 or less -- the two of those that see the most (Martavious Odoms and Jeremy Gallon) are 5'8. CU has one -- Kyle Cefalo -- who is listed right at 5'10. Obviously there are players that can play in multiple systems, or are so good that they will be recruited by everyone regardless of their size, but I don't think it's a huge stretch to say that we will be looking for different types of players (not just at WR, just using that as one obvious example) for a pro-style offense than RR will look for to fit his spread 'n shred. That's not to say that having to recruit against another big name, probably fairly successful coach in our division won't make it more difficult for us.

Details of his contract have come out. Very Arizona friendly.
patrickfinley
patrick finley

#ArizonaWildcats will pay RichRod $1.45 million in his first year, $1.5 in his second, $1.6 in third, $1.7 in fourth and $1.8 in fifth.
#ArizonaWildcats owe 1/2 year salary if terminate RichRod for cause, nothing if with cause. RichRod owes 1/2 year if he leaves early
I'm guessing they owe half year salary if they terminate without cause. Still not much. He came in at under 2 million a year. Leaving lots of money around for coaches, etc.

It's hard to say how Rich Rod will do a Arizona. My questions/concerns would be...

1. Is his record overinflated at WVU because of poor competition? Both Pitt and Cuse were way down during his run there.

2. Did he get lucky landing Pat White and Steve Slaton, or should he be given credit for recruiting and developing them?

3. Can he recruit the West Coast? He's a former West Virginia player who has spent his entire coaching career east of the Mississippi. He will need to hire assistants with local ties.

4. Can he build a good defense? His d coordinator never left WVU and his 3-3-5 D at Michigan got progressively worse.

5. How long will it take him to change the pocket passing offense for his spread option? He's got to recruit his type of player to run his O.

Back