What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rick George: AD Can't afford to send students to Pac-12 tournament

That's like saying basketball shouldn't be getting any attention since football is the bigger cash cow. I don't think you want to put all your eggs in one basket. I think more could've been done here like others have suggested even if the full trip wasn't subsidized. I don't think getting students involved is something RG has as a priority. Ftr, I supported Bohn's firing, I just like what he did in this aspect.
RG is efficiently allocating his availiable resources. RG's goal right now is facilities, and that's absolutely what his goal should be. I really don't think RG has had time for much else, he has been going non-stop since he was hired trying to get the facilities built. He said last week that he cares about the students and their experience and will address that after the facilities IIRC.

RG is efficiently allocating his availiable resources. RG's goal right now is facilities, and that's absolutely what his goal should be. I really don't think RG has had time for much else, he has been going non-stop since he was hired trying to get the facilities built. He said last week that he cares about the students and their experience and will address that after the facilities IIRC.
From the article, I don't think this is going to return with RG as AD. He didn't mention hoping to resume this practice eventually. There's plenty of things I didn't like with Bohn, so I just have to accept that.

Of course, he's going to say he cares about the students, what AD wouldn't? But actions are louder than words as the cliche goes.

From the article, I don't think this is going to return with RG as AD. He didn't mention hoping to resume this practice eventually. There's plenty of things I didn't like with Bohn, so I just have to accept that.

Of course, he's going to say he cares about the students, what AD wouldn't? But actions are louder than words as the cliche goes.
He said they'd look at it when the AD is fiscally responsible, what more should he say?

Rick George has to consider all facets of the business and having a robust C-Unit helps Basketball in a lot of ways, some of which may be hard to quantify.

Put it this way to compare it to real business. I wouldn't be investing in a customer appreciation program for a group that isn't going to spend much in the short-term if I'm in debt, own outdated facilities that severely impact our ability to compete in our market or turn profitable, and I'm in the midst of trying to raise unprecedented investment through folks who strongly associate words like "mismanaged" and "financial black hole" with my company.

He said they'd look at it when the AD is fiscally responsible, what more should he say?
That wasn't in Ringo's terrible article, can you provide a link?

And in terms of what more could he say -- "I hope to continue this in the future as the C-Unit is an important part of the program and we saw how helped they were in LA in 2012."

That wasn't in Ringo's terrible article, can you provide a link?

And in terms of what more could he say -- "I hope to continue this in the future as the C-Unit is an important part of the program and we saw how helped they were in LA in 2012."
Sorry, I mixed the quote up. I heard that at work on Wednesday so no link. This is way too big of a story for it being non-news.

Sorry, I mixed the quote up. I heard that at work on Wednesday so no link. This is way too big of a story for it being non-news.
Fair enough. It's Ringo manufacturing drama because nothing is going on with football right now and CU just lost an uninteresting game to Utah that didn't knock them out of the tournament but a win would've locked it up.

If we weren't in a critical fundraising window, with catastrophic consequences of not meeting expectations, I might be more bothered by this.

If we weren't in a critical fundraising window, with catastrophic consequences of not meeting expectations, I might be more bothered by this.

If i hadnt seen some good signs from both the students and the AD as it related to the UofA and ASU games, as well as RG basically calling CU's focus on game day atmosphere out - I'd be more worried.

We havent had a perfect year and things could have been handled more effectively on a number of fronts this being one of them. The trip costs much more than is quoted in this thread, the numebr is was given when asked specifically was 50K.

If i hadnt seen some good signs from both the students and the AD as it related to the UofA and ASU games, as well as RG basically calling CU's focus on game day atmosphere out - I'd be more worried.

We havent had a perfect year and things could have been handled more effectively on a number of fronts this being one of them. The trip costs much more than is quoted in this thread, the numebr is was given when asked specifically was 50K.

And I would hope & expect that if I called Rick to offer a $50k donation for this that he would do all he could to push me into donating that money to facilities (or scholarships or something else that's budgetary) instead of a Vegas trip for some students.

I think what RG is saying isn't so much it's going to be used for the facilities as some think it is here, but spread around to the existing programs.

And I would hope & expect that if I called Rick to offer a $50k donation for this that he would do all he could to push me into donating that money to facilities (or scholarships or something else that's budgetary) instead of a Vegas trip for some students.
I would be happy that someone was giving $50k to the CU AD and wouldn't press too hard (if at all) for them to send money in another direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be happy that someone was giving $50k to the CU AD and wouldn't press too hard (if at all) for them to send money in another direction.

Unfortunately our reality is that we can't do that right now. Mike's last budgets were materially off from where we landed in 2013 and we/he chose to add WLax to address some title 9 issues too soon. That program as well as others are significantly underfunded at the moment, as are several others, we need to level the operating budgets where possible before we get into additional non-essential spending.

I'm glad you're not AD. :wink2:

+1

George has to demonstrate to these large donors that he has a plan and it sticking to it. This is a business move and the priorities need to be clear. He has done a good job of laying out what the priorities are in his plan and to move even $50K into a different direction shows a lack of discipline that he cannot afford.

When you are on a track to reposition your business, you do not get distracted. I would be pissed if they diverted donated cash at this point.

You know what's funny about this? To go to Vegas and be a top 50 member you had to go to the women's games...whole lot of students bitched about even having to go to a women's game. Totally fine with RG doing this. He needs our smaller donor base focusing on one thing and that's facilities, $25K is a good amount of money to divert away. RG addressed the students and the need to work with them more going forward. In the long run, no fan support will be lost because of them not doing the trip this year (or next, but I believe it'll come back in a few years).
I didn't go to a women's game other than the Iowa one and I still got the top 50...

I'm glad you're not AD. :wink2:
Ha thanks Nik, don't think they'll be hiring me anytime soon. But my point is if someone wants to give $$$, I'm taking it, not asking too many questions, and thanking them, hoping they'll donate again in the future.

I didn't go to a women's game other than the Iowa one and I still got the top 50...
Seems like it was relatively easy to get in the top 50 this year.

Unfortunately our reality is that we can't do that right now. Mike's last budgets were materially off from where we landed in 2013 and we/he chose to add WLax to address some title 9 issues too soon. That program as well as others are significantly underfunded at the moment, as are several others, we need to level the operating budgets where possible before we get into additional non-essential spending.
If someone wants to give you a present, you take it. You might suggest do this or that, but people can choose to spend their money as they see fit.

+1

George has to demonstrate to these large donors that he has a plan and it sticking to it. This is a business move and the priorities need to be clear. He has done a good job of laying out what the priorities are in his plan and to move even $50K into a different direction shows a lack of discipline that he cannot afford.

When you are on a track to reposition your business, you do not get distracted. I would be pissed if they diverted donated cash at this point.
I don't think you're getting what I'm saying. What I'm saying is if someone gives the AD 50k to send students to Vegas that's not a "diverted" donation. It's being earmarked for that reason. And if I were RG, I wouldn't press too hard to tell someone, you should donate to this instead. Last thing you want is to alienate someone and not get any $ at all.

I don't think you're getting what I'm saying. What I'm saying is if someone gives the AD 50k to send students to Vegas that's not a "diverted" donation. It's being earmarked for that reason. And if I were RG, I wouldn't press too hard to tell someone, you should donate to this instead. Last thing you want is to alienate someone and not get any $ at all.

I am saying that as AD, Rick George should and will work with donors who want to contribute to the AD to do so in a manner that meets with the plan and vision for the entire program. Part of his job would be to work with that donor or group of donors to sell his vision and gain their confidence in his leading the AD on the correct course. It would be his duty to try and steer the donation in a different direction than for a program that does not contribute to that vision. If he cannot do that, then we would have the wrong guy in the job.

Seems like it was relatively easy to get in the top 50 this year.
Yea it wasn't that difficult. I went to every men's game and to be honest with you the top 50 didn't even play a part in me going to the games. I go to the games because I enjoy going to them.

I am saying that as AD, Rick George should and will work with donors who want to contribute to the AD to do so in a manner that meets with the plan and vision for the entire program. Part of his job would be to work with that donor or group of donors to sell his vision and gain their confidence in his leading the AD on the correct course. It would be his duty to try and steer the donation in a different direction than for a program that does not contribute to that vision. If he cannot do that, then we would have the wrong guy in the job.
And people can choose to spend their money as they see fit and ultimately the donors have a lot of weight. If they don't like the direction RG is going in, they don't have to donate. This isn't a one-way street.

If some C-Unit alum to spend $50k of their own money to send kids to Vegas to help our Buffs there, that's their choice. Sure, RG might wish the person would spend the money on a practice facility but how a donor wants to spend their money is their choice.

Yea it wasn't that difficult. I went to every men's game and to be honest with you the top 50 didn't even play a part in me going to the games. I go to the games because I enjoy going to them.
I remember thinking when this was introduced in 2012 how I would've gotten atleast 3 of my 4 years. I was a bit busier my Senior year, but good chance I still would've gotten it based on how easy it was this year.

I'm sure many people who went to LA/Vegas didn't even think about too much. I think it's more an incentive to get others who wouldn't have gone too as many games.

If someone wants to give you a present, you take it. You might suggest do this or that, but people can choose to spend their money as they see fit.

As a guy who does write checks to the ad (and kicked around raising the money to put this trip back on the books) I can tell you I am receiving "strong" guidance this year. I disagree with the guidance and will do what I have always done; but none-the-less i understand why they are steering money right now.

And people can choose to spend their money as they see fit and ultimately the donors have a lot of weight. If they don't like the direction RG is going in, they don't have to donate. This isn't a one-way street.

If some C-Unit alum to spend $50k of their own money to send kids to Vegas to help our Buffs there, that's their choice. Sure, RG might wish the person would spend the money on a practice facility but how a donor wants to spend their money is their choice.

Again, it is RG job to work with donors to make sure that money goes where the AD needs it the most. If donors do not like the direction, you bet they can take it elsewhere. If he does not show dedication to the vision and irresponsibility to the plan, that $50K donation by a former CUnit member may cost the AD a whole lot more than the $50K they get to send kids to a tourney. Like it or not, RG is playing with big boys who are used to working with business plans and getting results. If they do not feel he is showing the discipline and not effectively moving in that direction, confidence in his capabilities will suffer. That is much more damning to the AD than not sending 50 kids to a tourney.

Again, it is RG job to work with donors to make sure that money goes where the AD needs it the most. If donors do not like the direction, you bet they can take it elsewhere. If he does not show dedication to the vision and irresponsibility to the plan, that $50K donation by a former CUnit member may cost the AD a whole lot more than the $50K they get to send kids to a tourney. Like it or not, RG is playing with big boys who are used to working with business plans and getting results. If they do not feel he is showing the discipline and not effectively moving in that direction, confidence in his capabilities will suffer. That is much more damning to the AD than not sending 50 kids to a tourney.
This is more of a two-way street than you are saying it is. Sure RG might have a vision, but the boosters have a lot of say in all of this. If the trip costs $50k and the $50k is funded, I don't think RG is just going to say, "no thanks, we'd rather not do this."

Yeah, this year was much easier. Last year though missed Vegas because I needed to go to one more women's game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking of which-- Rick George is on the CBS4 sports with Vic Lombardi tomorrow night. You can always show up and ask him yourself.

Speaking of which-- Rick George is on the CBS4 sports with Vic Lombardi tomorrow night. You can always show up and ask him yourself.

Lousy move IMO. Basketball is your only successful product and you just cut into the 50 most loyal customers we had. Probably saving money for the McIntyre buy-out after this last dominating recruiting class. Solid contract extension right there.

Lousy move IMO. Basketball is your only successful product and you just cut into the 50 most loyal customers we had. Probably saving money for the McIntyre buy-out after this last dominating recruiting class. Solid contract extension right there.

I mean...just wow

This is more of a two-way street than you are saying it is. Sure RG might have a vision, but the boosters have a lot of say in all of this. If the trip costs $50k and the $50k is funded, I don't think RG is just going to say, "no thanks, we'd rather not do this."

And doing things differently has already nabbed $35 plus million at this point. I think his vision is just fine. I just do not think RG will spend budgetary dollars in an area such as this when you are trying to get your business house in order. Not having a vision and sales pitch for the future of the AD, a product that he should have been selling, did not work out so well for the last AD. Nice guy who could not focus when it came to selling or understanding what it took to land the big donors. That has changed.

I mean...just wow

So if someone disagrees with your stance, it's the most objectionable thing ever?

Edit: The part with the MM buyout is a bit much, that I will agree with you on.

And doing things differently has already nabbed $35 plus million at this point. I think his vision is just fine. I just do not think RG will spend budgetary dollars in an area such as this when you are trying to get your business house in order. Not having a vision and sales pitch for the future of the AD, a product that he should have been selling, did not work out so well for the last AD. Nice guy who could not focus when it came to selling or understanding what it took to land the big donors. That has changed.
I don't think Bohn lacked a vision so much and a sales pitch. If Rick George had same on-field results as Mike Bohn, he would've found it just as difficult. Instead, he benefits from following the worst period in CU football history.

Back