What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rick George is a badass

One rumor that has consistently been floated is that Solich is waiting to see what plays out with the Broncos, the Bowlens, and the team valuation. Bowlens money is also oil money so they share the same ups and downs, and with the teams success of late they maybe priced out of what even Solich could pay.
Screw the Broncos...be our sugar daddy.

If Rick was truly badass, he'd have a huge "BUFF Caravan" from Westminster to Boulder scheduled for the day of the Spring Game to mark the completion of the reconstructed 36 to catch the attention of casual fans who might think of popping up to Boulder for a game or two with the kids, but were in the past, put off by the 'orrible prospect of the mess 36/traffic jams, presented into and out of Boulder. After all, it is "The Buffalo Highway"!
( I say this as one who has friends--okay, okay, acquaintances--who recently told me they used to love to "pop" up to Boulder, but couldn't stand that drive because of construction and yet had no idea it was all finished!) Free PR all around!

He definitely did, but I think he was paid a good portion in stock, which has certainly lost a lot of value. But he's got to be worth 100's of millions either way. And he can certainly donate whatever he wants. Sure is a testament of what RG acomplished given the hole he started in without Solich's giant donation. I'd never had believed it....

Actually only about 20% of the sale to Apache was stock the rest was cash - $2.25 Billion. Of course not all of that goes to Solich as there are other owners in his business. AFAIK, he is donating to CU athletics as much as ever. He is just taking a lower profile.

Interesting. All signs point to the Broncos staying in the Bowlen family, so unless they decide to sell...

That tax man might have something to say about that when his spouse dies. Hopefully the Bowlens placed the team in a trust or family partnership. Maybe he's created stock that he controls but is owned by family and children. Or he has a life insurance policy worth about 30-50% of the value of the team. Until his wife dies I think it stays In their hands.

Actually only about 20% of the sale to Apache was stock the rest was cash - $2.25 Billion. Of course not all of that goes to Solich as there are other owners in his business. AFAIK, he is donating to CU athletics as much as ever. He is just taking a lower profile.
Well, whatever he donated here was much, much less than was speculated at one point. And I remember calculating that he cleared several $100M if not a $1B himself and as you said, he's cash rich under most any measure.

I don't think that he's just being "lower profile". Something changed here.

He really could use some help with generating student support and involvement. If there's a glaring weak spot in his performance, it's that student involvement has plunged. With 30,000 or so undergrads, it shouldn't be too hard to get 10,000 in the stands on a Saturday afternoon and 2,500 in the stands at the CEC. The effort has to be made, though. So far, it's been all about raising funds and getting facilities built. Don't mistake my intent - that stuff is vital and it needed to happen. There is more to running a successful athletic department, though. I would love to see them hire a person whose sole responsibility is student engagement.

I absolutely agree. There is one thing that has to happen for the momentum to get rolling, for the students to engage and participate: win football games. There has been over a decade of students matriculate through Boulder that have never seen a winning football program; never seen a winning football season. An entire class of students has come to CU and graduated and still not seen more than 2 wins a season as a member of the Pac-12. One winning season isn't magic, it won't bring 10,000+ students to the games immediately. Three, four consecutive winning seasons and now a class of students will have spent their most or all of their years at CU with a winning team and incoming students will be conditioned to know that CU has a winning football program. Anybody who was around from 1988 to 2006 knows that a winning program also increased the applicants to CU, increased the quality of the applicants, and increased the quality of the students that attended.

I understand that Rick George had to put almost all of his focus on fundraising since he as been hired. Now he needs to be much more involved in helping the football team produce winning seasons year-after-year.

[QUOTE="Big Jim, post: 1969141, member: 10349]Now he needs to be much more involved in helping the football team produce winning seasons year-after-year.[/QUOTE]. I don't understand your point. I see his fingerprints all over recent hires. The only more agressive thing I can think of would have been canning the coach after last season, and even crazy aggressive guys like me think that would have been too much,

I absolutely agree. There is one thing that has to happen for the momentum to get rolling, for the students to engage and participate: win football games. There has been over a decade of students matriculate through Boulder that have never seen a winning football program; never seen a winning football season. An entire class of students has come to CU and graduated and still not seen more than 2 wins a season as a member of the Pac-12. One winning season isn't magic, it won't bring 10,000+ students to the games immediately.
While I agree there is nothing "magical" about one winning season, I think it will absolutely get students and the rest of the fan base excited and coming back to the games in droves. Now, maintaining the bump in attendance will be the tricky part if a bowl season isn't repeated with another bowl season.

[QUOTE="Big Jim, post: 1969141, member: 10349]Now he needs to be much more involved in helping the football team produce winning seasons year-after-year.
. I don't understand your point. I see his fingerprints all over recent hires. The only more agressive thing I can think of would have been canning the coach after last season, and even crazy aggressive guys like me think that would have been too much,[/QUOTE]

Recruiting and coaching are the face of the problems the past 10+ years. However, the need for a strong athletic director goes far beyond just hiring and firing. George has a lot to do to get his boss and bosses boss on board. He has a lot to do to get the infrastructure of internal support, from admissions to academic support. He has to get the culture inside his own offices aligned (think Ceal Berry and her posse). There is a lot of work to be done, including getting the right staff in place, to get a winning program and culture.

I absolutely agree. There is one thing that has to happen for the momentum to get rolling, for the students to engage and participate: win football games. There has been over a decade of students matriculate through Boulder that have never seen a winning football program; never seen a winning football season. An entire class of students has come to CU and graduated and still not seen more than 2 wins a season as a member of the Pac-12. One winning season isn't magic, it won't bring 10,000+ students to the games immediately. Three, four consecutive winning seasons and now a class of students will have spent their most or all of their years at CU with a winning team and incoming students will be conditioned to know that CU has a winning football program. Anybody who was around from 1988 to 2006 knows that a winning program also increased the applicants to CU, increased the quality of the applicants, and increased the quality of the students that attended.

I understand that Rick George had to put almost all of his focus on fundraising since he as been hired. Now he needs to be much more involved in helping the football team produce winning seasons year-after-year.
My three CU grads think dad is throwing his money away when he buys season tickets. :mad:

My three CU grads think dad is throwing his money away when he buys season tickets. :mad:

Well I hope you are taking the opportunity to leverage your way up to better seats each season. By the time the team is good enough to grow ticket sales, you should have some pretty sweet seats at a reasonable price.

This may seem like a small gesture, but the AD updates about all the seasons teams is a nice addition to the AD outreach. Don't remember these happening under Bohn.

Back