What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rocky Mountain Showdown extended

Is Alabama suffering from scheduling Arkansas State or LA Lafayette this year? Would you say that your beloved Auburn cares about winning even though they scheduled Liberty, Alabama State, and Southern Miss this year?

Alabama and Auburn put a ****load more resources into the football programs and can make big money scheduling those games. They also can recruit great talent in a relatively small radius. CU is not afforded those natural advantages, so adjustments must be made accordingly.

Alabama and Auburn put a ****load more resources into the football programs and can make big money scheduling those games. They also can recruit great talent in a relatively small radius. CU is not afforded those natural advantages, so adjustments must be made accordingly.
I think you’re getting carried away with the advantages of scheduling UTEP vs scheduling Wyoming.

I think you’re getting carried away with the advantages of scheduling UTEP vs scheduling Wyoming.

Well, UTEP would be truly stupid, but you might be right that I overstate the importance of scheduling Texas games. But I also think scheduling regional games as a primary criteria is misguided because the options are very limited.

Is Alabama suffering from scheduling Arkansas State or LA Lafayette this year? Would you say that your beloved Auburn cares about winning even though they scheduled Liberty, Alabama State, and Southern Miss this year?
Well the fact that you’re comparing CU to Alabama and Auburn says enough right there. They can get away with it because they are perennial power houses that are on national TV all the time. CU is not and if we ever want to get even close, we need to be doing exactly what Duff is saying. We need to go where top level recruits will see us. Otherwise, we will remain at a level where we rarely ever have a consistently ranked team.

Well the fact that you’re comparing CU to Alabama and Auburn says enough right there. They can get away with it because they are perennial power houses that are on national TV all the time. CU is not and if we ever want to get even close, we need to be doing exactly what Duff is saying. We need to go where top level recruits will see us. Otherwise, we will remain at a level where we rarely ever have a consistently ranked team.
Thanks, Bread.

It sounds like you're advocating for 2 of our 3 non conference games to be played in TX. No thanks.

This may come off as hopelessly naive and I'm sure I'll catch a lot of **** for it, but I want The University of Colorado to maintain its identity as a Rocky Mountain proud school. A part of that is recognizing regional games and not pandering to the wave or demographic shift.

The current trend is CU is a safety school for rich kids from CA, TX, and the Northeast. It's not, it is a top flight university sitting at the heart of the Rocky Mountains in one of the most beautiful and scenic regions in the country. I'm not ready to sell that out to chase money or recruits down in TX or over in CA. For some people that western identity is important to maintain, and not "stupid" at all.

I have been out of college for over a dozen years now, so maybe things have changed...but I knew more than a few smart kids from CA, TX, and the NE. Were there rich kids that CU was just taking money from - sure, but I really don't think our reputation is a safety school. We may be a notch lower than UNC, Michigan, Washington, and other top public universities, but we're still highly regarded. And if CU is truly a top flight university, then we're going to be national if not international, not just regional.

But none of that matters when talking about where to go with our football team. We need to schedule wisely as many have pointed out. Playing WY and the like will do nothing for our football team and absolutely has no bearing on our academic status. It can help reinforce the local identity you want, but I don't think that's as important as doing what's best for the football team. "Selling out" is a strong term...we're scheduling football opponents for the betterment of the football team...I'm not saying your desire for local identity is stupid, but I'd rather our prestige grow, which is contrary to staying local.

Great points by many - for what it's worth...a personal reason I do NOT want to go to Missoula or play NDSU and the like...is damn right I'm scared of those programs. I'm more scared of top notch FCS schools than CSU.

I have been out of college for over a dozen years now, so maybe things have changed...but I knew more than a few smart kids from CA, TX, and the NE. Were there rich kids that CU was just taking money from - sure, but I really don't think our reputation is a safety school. We may be a notch lower than UNC, Michigan, Washington, and other top public universities, but we're still highly regarded. And if CU is truly a top flight university, then we're going to be national if not international, not just regional.

But none of that matters when talking about where to go with our football team. We need to schedule wisely as many have pointed out. Playing WY and the like will do nothing for our football team and absolutely has no bearing on our academic status. It can help reinforce the local identity you want, but I don't think that's as important as doing what's best for the football team. "Selling out" is a strong term...we're scheduling football opponents for the betterment of the football team...I'm not saying your desire for local identity is stupid, but I'd rather our prestige grow, which is contrary to staying local.

Great points by many - for what it's worth...a personal reason I do NOT want to go to Missoula or play NDSU and the like...is damn right I'm scared of those programs. I'm more scared of top notch FCS schools than CSU.
TL;DR version: schedule non-conference games that help the football program.

As long as CU is a program that doesn't sell out the stadium for any opponent, playing CSU remains very important for the financial health of the program. You don't have to like it, but you all need to face reality.

The programs we are chasing have fans who come to see their team. Attendance is not reliant on the opponent. That is not the case at CU.

I'd really like this approach. College football is really all about regional foes in my mind. Playing Montana, Wyoming, etc - those fans would have an absolute blast in Folsom, even when they lose, and a lot of CU fans could probably enjoy a short trip to see the Buffs play in those towns if we reciprocated a visit.

One of your arguments for scheduling these teams is that their fans would enjoy it?

Just schedule one of the regional (CSU, WYO, AF, KU, NM, Utah State, etc.) G5 programs annually and be done with it.

As long as CU is a program that doesn't sell out the stadium for any opponent, playing CSU remains very important for the financial health of the program. You don't have to like it, but you all need to face reality.

The programs we are chasing have fans who come to see their team. Attendance is not reliant on the opponent. That is not the case at CU.
We sold out several in 2016. That’s what winning does.

One of your arguments for scheduling these teams is that their fans would enjoy it?
Sure, why not? I'm at football games to have fun. If we're going to consistently schedule one "easy" win each year, I'd rather see several hundred excited Montana or Wyoming fans in Folsom than maybe 3 fans from New Hampshire.

Sure, why not? I'm at football games to have fun. If we're going to consistently schedule one "easy" win each year, I'd rather see several hundred excited Montana or Wyoming fans in Folsom than maybe 3 fans from New Hampshire.
Ok, but I don’t think the debate is about whether to schedule Montana or New Hampshire.

Ok, but I don’t think the debate is about whether to schedule Montana or New Hampshire.
That was the only debate I was ever having. Again, I want a solid P5 OOC opponent every year. I'm just saying that all else equal, I'd rather us play some rocky mountain region schools as our OOC "filler" games - Montana, Wyoming, Boise State, BYU, Air Force, etc (obviously you could make the argument that BSU isn't simple filler, but you get the idea).

That was the only debate I was ever having. Again, I want a solid P5 OOC opponent every year. I'm just saying that all else equal, I'd rather us play some rocky mountain region schools as our OOC "filler" games - Montana, Wyoming, Boise State, BYU, Air Force, etc (obviously you could make the argument that BSU isn't simple filler, but you get the idea).
I’d rather have good P5, CSU and another G5 or FCS, but one that is in our recruiting footprint like Texas State, UTSA, Houston, SMU, Tulane, etc. That way, we have our marquee OOC matchup, our instate rival that keeps the state semi interested, and then a body bag game vs a team that is visible to our recruiting base.

They've beaten you by 30 and 42 the last two years-you still haven't answered me there. If you don't think we're a rival........then why are you here?
Went to a game one time. Had a good time. And thought I'd join.

Many CU fans don't get it. Nasty bastards they can be. Can't be a CU fan because of that, so I'll keep up the Husker banter here for awhile longer.

Go Huskers!
Go Rams!

Back