What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rodney "Speedy" Stewart

:yeahthat:

What did they have, three blocked punts in the spring game? :wow: That's terrible. Special teams is far and away my biggest concern going into the season.

Bisnow was the snapper. Dresher was hurt I believe. It might have even been the whole second team special teams out there.

Celestine is #5. It's been rumored that he is considering transferring. He's still here. But anything can happen.

Why the transfer? Academics. Where the transfer? SEC. Stick it out Celestine. You can do it and it's the right choice in the long run.

He has to get a good grade in a class this summer (I think a B, cant remember) to remain academically eligible.

:yeahthat:

What did they have, three blocked punts in the spring game? :wow: That's terrible. Special teams is far and away my biggest concern going into the season.

Hawkins had the third string line in for punts during the spring game. That is why we had two blocked punts and one field goal. He was trying to generate a little confidence and see if out faster edge blockers could get in there. I think it was successful. It was in a Colorado Daily article after the game.

Kicking game

The lasting image of the CU kicking game fans will take into summer is that of punts being blocked, punts being fumbled and field goals being missed at the spring game. Clearly there is work to be done, but there is no need for panic.

Most of the punts that were blocked this spring were blocked against the scout team punt unit and not the regular unit. It's actually a good sign that the Buffs are getting their hands on some kicks.

It remains unclear who will return kicks in the fall. Josh Smith is in the running for both kickoff returns and punt returns. Jason Espinoza did a decent job returning punts, but he also fumbled one in the spring game and allowed one to hit the ground in the second scrimmage. True freshman Rodney Stewart, a running back from Ohio, will get a shot at the job in the fall.

This is from the daily camera. The link is below.

http://www.buffzone.com/news/2008/apr/21/spring-practices-over-after-ups-downs/

I think Stewart definitely has a place on the team.

Last edited:
And to be honest, it would be nice if we had a Hester-esque return man.

I know it hasn't been just you to use Hester, but let's stop saying we should look for a Hester-type player and say we want to get us a Ben Kelly-type returner! :thumbsup: We want Buffs, not Bears. :wink2:

I know it hasn't been just you to use Hester, but let's stop saying we should look for a Hester-type player and say we want to get us a Ben Kelly-type returner! :thumbsup: We want Buffs, not Bears. :wink2:

Or Hurricanes for that matter.

I was watching the game when Hester, as a freshman, first took a return to the house. Whoa!

Espinoza had a horrible spring game. Muffed some returns. Didn't seem to be comfortable out there. But overall he did pretty good. I loved the stiff arm he dealed during a scrimmage.

Espinoza had a couple muffs, but I wouldnt call it a horrible spring game. He definitely was able to juke and make people miss. From the notes on cubuffs.com: He switched to wide receiver for spring drills, and had an excellent spring at his new position as well as emerging as a candidate to return kicks. He caught six passes for 110 yards and a touchdown in the three main scrimmages, also returning nine punts for 91 yards with a long runback of 45 yards.

I bet we see him in action sometime this fall coming off the bench and for designed plays.

How many chances did he get at returns in the spring game? I think it was at least 4. So he muffed half the time. That qualifies as horrible. I'm not trying to knock the kid. He could do it. But i dont think so. jmo.

And your right. He did do well during the scrimmages.

Last edited:
I was wrong. He only got two chances during the spring game. He had two attempts as a PR. He fumbled the first, and bobbled the second, He did manage to return the ball for about 8yds.(If you look at the vid on CuBuffs.com the first PR attempt is 23:30. The second was at about 01:54:01).

He didn't get a chance at KR. Every time he lined up the kicker put it out of the endzone.

Don't let the facts get in the way of a decent argument. Jeez!

I must have been recalling a prior scrimmage. I watched 3 of the scrimmages and I just remember ESP catching my attention a few times as a sorta-newcomer.

Don't let the facts get in the way of a decent argument. Jeez!

I must have been recalling a prior scrimmage. I watched 3 of the scrimmages and I just remember ESP catching my attention a few times as a sorta-newcomer.

Did you see the stiff arm Espinoza gave during one of those scrimmages? I felt bad for the guy.:lol:

I see "Speedy" got # 43, remake of Darren Sproles, formerly of Kansas State. Hopefully Speedy helps you guys like Sproles did for KSU.

Welcome, noob. Are you still in Ohio, and if so, did you ever get the chance to see Speedy or Rippy play?

I for one, watched him his entire senior year, and YES he is the real deal! The reason he was so low under the radar is because he tore his ACL his junior year during a scrimmage, and you all know how important your junior year is in high school. He played as a freshman and contributed to a Division 2 State Championship year. I am going to say it, agility wise, he is like a reggie bush. After tearing his ACL, it only took 8-10 months to get back in full force. He squats over 450 lbs and benches around 350 lbs. He is very strong! His work ethic is crazy. You will get a good return man, but he will surprise a lot of you on how good of a running back he is. His vision is an A +. I haven't followed Colorado football, but me being an Ohio boy, I will follow for the next four years because of "Speedy". Good luck to you guys. Let me know if yall have any questions.

Red Dirt, the above quote is a previous post from Ohio.

Good luck to you guys! Go Buffs/"Speedy"!

OFB - What's your thoughts on Stewart having a RS year?
On paper, it might not make sense having Stewart, Polk and Scott all playing their true freshman year.

Skid......That depends. They say he will make an immediate impact on the return game this year. So, if that goes through, they can't RS him. I guess see who is the best out of the three this summer, and go off of that.

I haven't really been following what other freshman RB's around country have been doing, but I imaging that speedy has to be up there for Freshman All-American honors.

EDIT: Just checked. Two other freshman (J. Rogers from Ore. St., and Vic Anderson from L'ville) are ahead of Speedy. He's 44 in the nation in rushing yds/game.

Last edited:
You don't have to bump the thread. I've had it in his profile over in the recruiting section since February. Look in the Class of 2008 thread.

And yes, I found that vid first. Before it was on Rivals, or Netturds. I'll give myself a pat on the back.:lol: AllBuffs had that Vid first!

Back