What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Roster next year

I believe that next year Tad will truly run and play high pressure defense more often because he won't have to worry about his starters wearing down. We are much better running on offense than in the half court, so I wish we would run and gun more, but with Tad's emphasis on defense, I can see our players using a lot of energy and not having as much on offense.

Another note on the question of how important it is to have a big body in the post. I was watching some analysis of the Miami Heat this morning. They were talking about how the experiment of using Shane Battier at the "5" has been been incredibly successful. I realize that is an unusual situation because the Heat may have the 2 best players in the NBA at the "2" and "3", but it does show that you can play dominating basketball without anything close to a true "5" on the floor -- including great defense and rebounding.

They were talking about how North Carolina did something similar. I think they dropped PJ Hairston down to the 4. I only caught a small bit of it but they were up in about every category on O. Since they did it, PJ has been averaging 18+. Seems like small ball is being used more and more.

They were talking about how North Carolina did something similar. I think they dropped PJ Hairston down to the 4. I only caught a small bit of it but they were up in about every category on O. Since they did it, PJ has been averaging 18+. Seems like small ball is being used more and more.

In recent years, both Marquette and Villanova have had some really good teams that had no one you would call a traditional post getting significant minutes. I don't think it's an issue in 90+% of games to have Scott playing 30 minutes and going without a true post the other 10 minutes.

I think there were a few years where things got smaller, but now it seems to be three guards and some big guys up front. Almost all the top teams have a big man or two. Florida has 6'9" and 6'10" guys at around 240-250. Indiana has Zeller, Gonzaga has Olnyck, Duke has Plumlee and another big guy, Louisville has 6'11" Dieng, Kansas has Withey, etc.

Josh is tall, but not big, and isn't a rebounder like some of these other guys I mentioned. If Andre were to go pro or get hurt, we'd get killed on the boards with our lack of size.

I think there were a few years where things got smaller, but now it seems to be three guards and some big guys up front. Almost all the top teams have a big man or two. Florida has 6'9" and 6'10" guys at around 240-250. Indiana has Zeller, Gonzaga has Olnyck, Duke has Plumlee and another big guy, Louisville has 6'11" Dieng, Kansas has Withey, etc.

Josh is tall, but not big, and isn't a rebounder like some of these other guys I mentioned. If Andre were to go pro or get hurt, we'd get killed on the boards with our lack of size.
You could say the same about any of the other teams you mentioned though. Quality bigs are irreplaceable. If any of the players you mentioned above were to get hurt, their teams would be in a world of hurt.

Ran across this college basketball season wrapup by Jason King this morning. If you scroll down to the "Just wait til next year (teams that could improve significantly in 2013-14)" section, he lists Colorado, which is no surprise, but he also mentions this:

Tad Boyle's Buffaloes will return every key piece of a team that spent the early portions of the season in the Top 25.That includes Andre Roberson, the nation's leading rebounder, along with standout guards Askia Booker and Spencer Dinwiddie and promising freshmen Josh Scott and Xavier Johnson.

Does he know something we don't?

By the way, first post -- love your guys' recruiting coverage and RPI/bubble tracking.

Ran across this college basketball season wrapup by Jason King this morning. If you scroll down to the "Just wait til next year (teams that could improve significantly in 2013-14)" section, he lists Colorado, which is no surprise, but he also mentions this:

By the way, first post -- love your guys' recruiting coverage and RPI/bubble tracking.

Nice find.

Let's hope he knows something.

And good job on your fist post. The key to a successful 1P seem to be information or humor plus some good old fashioned ass kissing flattery. Well done. Rep. Welcome to the board. :smile2:

I also read that this morning. I enjoy Jason King. He has Andre first team all pac12, but doesn't have him for Defensive POY. Very odd selection of Carrick Felix from ASU.

Saw that as well - I looked up dre's draft numbers and they are listing him in the high to mid 40's picks - that's mid 2nd round. Though the draft class is a little thin this year and should be stacked next year, I think he's going to stay.

It you take it out even further, 2014-15 looks stacked too. Ski will be a senior, XJ and Scott will be 3 year starters, and we'll have 5 talented sophs with a year of P12 ball under their belts. As long as we get our PG in that 14 class, there may not be much, if any, letdown from 2013 to 2014.

I love threads like this. They get me excited about the future because they get you thinking about just how improved the roster really is going to look in the coming years. I would say the theme for next years roster (and largely what I think Tad wants his teams to be about) is running and versatility. We have a ton of guys who can play multiple positions, and next year we'll really be able to stretch the floor like we never have before.

I've seen a lot of people basically penciling in Talton to be the back up PG, but I wouldn't be entirely sure about that. I'll admit that no one has shown as much improvement as him since the start of the season, but as has been pointed out by WW on the other site, he's easily the worst ball handler amongst the players expected to do that. His jump shot is pretty good, but I'd say he has just average court vision at this point. I contend that we should not forget that Jaron Hopkins was listed as a PG at one point, and he was listed as such for a reason. Go watch his videos again. he's got great court vision, tight handles, and he's a very explosive athlete. The only thing Jaron lacks is a consistent jumper. If that description of Jaron sounded familiar, it's because I think he's kind of a player in the mold of a Tony Wroten. I'm not saying he's as good as Wroten, but he has the same kind of game and can play PG, SG, or SF if need be.

Bear with me because there are going to be a lot of guys listed at more than one position, but here's how I see next years lineup shaping up.

PG- Dinwiddie...Talton/Hopkins, Stalzer
SG- Booker...Hopkins/Jenkins/Talton, Fletcher
SF- X. Johnson...Hopkins/Jenkins, Fletcher/Thomas
PF- Roberson...Gordon, X. Johnson/Thomas
C- Scott...Gordon, Roberson/Thomas(if we really need to open up the lane by pulling out a big man)

That's a convoluted looking lineup, but that because all those guys are capable of playing all those different positions. The versatility, athleticism, and shot making ability of the roster next year really has to make one salivate when thinking about all the possibilities.

I'd love to be able to have Adams in there somewhere because I think he's finally figured out his game and gotten comfortable and has become a reliable back-up, but I don't know if he'll be back next year given that we have to make room for the three new guys. As has been previously mentioned I could also see Stalzer coming off scholarship next year because I'm sure he was given a year to year deal and was not guaranteed that his 'ship would be there no matter what.

To take it even another step forward, if/when we land Perkins or Collier (I'd prefer Perkins and would prefer we only take one), I don't think the impact of losing Dinwiddie will be felt in huge way in '14. Also, I think the combination of Gordon and Thomas can replace and even add more to the lineup than what we will be losing with Andre after next season. Don't forget both Gordon and Thomas put up great numbers on the boards in high school. I don't think they have the instincts or athletic ceiling of Andre, but they are both already bigger and are athletes.

In a perfect world we'd also be able to land a guy like a Malik Pope in '14, in which case look out country. That might be a dream signing, but no one really seems to have any clue on Pope at this point aside from the fact he'll probably stay in the West.

In summation, the future is bright. Get used to winning folks.

Last time I saw him Gordon looked a lot closer to 6'10" than 6'8" and pretty solid. If that is the case then we could see a line up with Gordon at the center and Scott at the PF.

Last time I saw him Gordon looked a lot closer to 6'10" than 6'8" and pretty solid. If that is the case then we could see a line up with Gordon at the center and Scott at the PF.

And I hate to say it, but from what I've seen of Gordon, he is nearly as athletic as Dre, but bigger. Lack of athleticism is not why he is redshirting.

Well I said earlier that Gordon and Thomas could replace Dre's production in 14, but I think they'll be able to do it next year as well. Should Dre leave Thomas will benefit in terms of minutes.

Back