What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rumors of Certain Regents Potentially Voting Against MT Contract

Jack Kroll graduated from CU-Denver in 2011. He is an assistant director in the CU Boulder Admissions office. In his vast seven years of work experience, I’m sure he is uniquely qualified for the task of managing a large university system.

CU Regents are such lightweights. I’m convinced it’s the reason CU is not living up to its potential in both academics and athletics. Other universities have accomplished men and women at the helm.
Jack Kroll, the prepubescent wonder!

Your behavior isn't helpful, is the point. It fits with the worst of our political discourse. I didn't label you, you slandered others. Sounds like you would get owned in the politics forum though.

Is that something to beat your chest about?

The fact that Jack Kroll got elected is proof that Allbuffs could easily get a regent elected. Kroll ran unopposed in his primary, and you only need to raise a little bit of money to make it happen.

If this community really wants to do something concrete to support the Colorado of Colorado and its athletics, we need to organize good candidates to run against select regents.
That, and show up for games..... My wife is from TN and they make our football experience seem like peewee league.
The first game I took her too was us hosting Stanford. She thought the stadium and setting were beautiful but in CU fashion fans trickled in late, left early, and It had the atmosphere of a pleasant fall picnic

I wrote to Kroll a year or two asking how appropriate it is for a a junior level employee to be on the board of directors of the organization they work for. He never responded.
I once served as an elected official and responded to every piece of correspondence received. Sorry he didn't meet my standard.

I wrote to Kroll a year or two asking how appropriate it is for a a junior level employee to be on the board of directors of the organization they work for.
A serious primary challenge would make this talking point number one in each and every voter communication. Speech, mailer, flyer, interview, facebook ad, "debate," whatever - that's the lead.

One would obviously need more than that, but that's where you start every time.

How much of being a Regent is dealing with Atgletic Department issues and how much dealing w the academic side? I feel like it sounds good on the surface for someone to oppose and own Kroll, running mostly on the basis of strong athletics equals strong academics, but do any of you actually want to do the job of a Regent outside of being a strong voice for athletics?

How much of being a Regent is dealing with Atgletic Department issues and how much dealing w the academic side? I feel like it sounds good on the surface for someone to oppose and own Kroll, running mostly on the basis of strong athletics equals strong academics, but do any of you actually want to do the job of a Regent outside of being a strong voice for athletics?
Most of the job is budgetary stuff outside of major job searches like what's coming up with Benson's replacement. All the capital projects and campus plans into the future, tuition issues, etc. Athletics on the Boulder campus makes all the headlines, but it's not the main part of their job. Which is why they should have 1 R and 1 D who are the athletics reps who work with the campus ADs and then explain & bring stuff to the BoR. As long as the AD stays within budget and avoids hiring someone who can't pass a background check, the other members should be able to quickly rubberstamp anything the ADs want to do.

Most of the job is budgetary stuff outside of major job searches like what's coming up with Benson's replacement. All the capital projects and campus plans into the future, tuition issues, etc. Athletics on the Boulder campus makes all the headlines, but it's not the main part of their job. Which is why they should have 1 R and 1 D who are the athletics reps who work with the campus ADs and then explain & bring stuff to the BoR. As long as the AD stays within budget and avoids hiring someone who can't pass a background check, the other members should be able to quickly rubberstamp anything the ADs want to do.
Yup, it is very slim portion of their jobs.

I wish we could get rid of the regents entirely. It is ridiculous that we have a board of politicians wielding power

You left out the part about being self-important. That is a large part of the job of a regent as well.

You left out the part about being self-important. That is a large part of the job of a regent as well.
You've got to have a healthy ego to want to be a public figure. Nothing wrong with that. It's just part of the profile. Just like a football head coach isn't going to be shy or introverted or without ego.

kroll went to uc-d, works for the university, and has 7 years of work experience. fail, fail, fail.

we'd be better off with a subway franchise owner on the board. and i won't set foot in a subway sandwich shop.

no wonder he doesn't understand how the funding works. he's still trying to figure out how to get a bigger cubicle at the office.

Some of you have noted how ridiculous it is that we have such junior people on what is essentially the board of directors for an organization with $3.5 billion in annual revenue.

You're right. It is ridiculous.

So why is it that way?

It's actually enshrined in the state constitution. That's right, the university of Colorado was created by the constitution of the state, as was the governance structure.

The other state colleges and universities were created by legislation, and reside under the department of higher education - their trustees, or whatever they call them, are appointed through typical political processes.

That appointment process generally assures you that you've got relatively competent and experienced people running the board.

But the CU regents... They are an elected position that is not a full time job, or even a half time job.

And in terms of government power, it's pretty low. It's not a stepping stone type of job for a career politician (which would honestly make it even worse).

Any idiot can run, and quite a few do, and some of them win.

The parties would generally like to nominate talented, experienced executives - the kind you typically have on boards of large companies - instead of these goobers.

And lots of those types of professional folks would be glad to do the job.

If it was an appointment, where maybe they interviewed with a couple folks, and then were either selected or not.

Nope - you gotta run for office. Solicit "donations." Talk to voters, etc etc. Oh yeah, and you could lose. And everyone would know you lost.

This is the point where your experienced, competent, would be great in the job, executive says "**** you, I'm not doing that," and you're left with the goober.

How do we fix it?

1. Convince good, qualified people to run.
2. Fund their election campaigns
3. Volunteer for their campaigns
4. Do NOT try and change the constitution - that will open a process that could end up with CU losing its constitutionally privileged position in state government.

If any of you are reading this, and thinking about running, two things:

1. Don't run as a republican in a district that's slanted towards democrats (or vice-versa) just because it's easier to get the nomination - challenge for the nomination of the dominant party in the district.

2. As soon as you formally file the candidate paperwork, send me a pm and I'll donate the first $100 to your campaign.

Some of you have noted how ridiculous it is that we have such junior people on what is essentially the board of directors for an organization with $3.5 billion in annual revenue.

You're right. It is ridiculous.

So why is it that way?

It's actually enshrined in the state constitution. That's right, the university of Colorado was created by the constitution of the state, as was the governance structure.

The other state colleges and universities were created by legislation, and reside under the department of higher education - their trustees, or whatever they call them, are appointed through typical political processes.

That appointment process generally assures you that you've got relatively competent and experienced people running the board.

But the CU regents... They are an elected position that is not a full time job, or even a half time job.

And in terms of government power, it's pretty low. It's not a stepping stone type of job for a career politician (which would honestly make it even worse).

Any idiot can run, and quite a few do, and some of them win.

The parties would generally like to nominate talented, experienced executives - the kind you typically have on boards of large companies - instead of these goobers.

And lots of those types of professional folks would be glad to do the job.

If it was an appointment, where maybe they interviewed with a couple folks, and then were either selected or not.

Nope - you gotta run for office. Solicit "donations." Talk to voters, etc etc. Oh yeah, and you could lose. And everyone would know you lost.

This is the point where your experienced, competent, would be great in the job, executive says "**** you, I'm not doing that," and you're left with the goober.

How do we fix it?

1. Convince good, qualified people to run.
2. Fund their election campaigns
3. Volunteer for their campaigns
4. Do NOT try and change the constitution - that will open a process that could end up with CU losing its constitutionally privileged position in state government.

If any of you are reading this, and thinking about running, two things:

1. Don't run as a republican in a district that's slanted towards democrats (or vice-versa) just because it's easier to get the nomination - challenge for the nomination of the dominant party in the district.

2. As soon as you formally file the candidate paperwork, send me a pm and I'll donate the first $100 to your campaign.

In place of these political idiots looking to make names for themselves this seems like a great position for some older individuals who have high level management and administrative experience who are retired and looking for a way to stay involved and connected. Find a few who are grads or strong supporters of CU and higher education and you improve the candidate base.

kroll went to uc-d, works for the university, and has 7 years of work experience. fail, fail, fail.

we'd be better off with a subway franchise owner on the board. and i won't set foot in a subway sandwich shop.

no wonder he doesn't understand how the funding works. he's still trying to figure out how to get a bigger cubicle at the office.
You're talking about the Vice Chair of the CU Board of Regents. :ROFLMAO:

I recall a friend and former classmate of mine running for regent, but he made the mistake noted above of running as an R in an overwhelmingly D district.

You're talking about the Vice Chair of the CU Board of Regents. :ROFLMAO:

yeah, i'm gonna need him to come in on saturday. and, i'll need that report on my desk first thing monday am.

ps. if you see him, ask him not to wear that polyester shirt to meetings. or, to talk... ask him not to talk at meetings.

yeah, i'm gonna need him to come in on saturday. and, i'll need that report on my desk first thing monday am.

ps. if you see him, ask him not to wear that polyester shirt to meetings. or, to talk... ask him not to talk at meetings.
Seriously. We've got a guy who might be qualified to run the mail room for a Bruce Benson or Heidi Ganahl company as the Vice Chair of our Board of Regents. That would be comical if it didn't piss me off so much.

Seriously. We've got a guy who might be qualified to run the mail room for a Bruce Benson or Heidi Ganahl company as the Vice Chair of our Board of Regents. That would be comical if it didn't piss me off so much.

He isn't even a freaking Director in Admissions... he is an Assistant Director. He might manage like 2 people and doesn't manage any budget at all.

When it comes to the Regents, we all want conservatives. Liberals hate sports unless everyone gets a participation ribbon. :D

When it comes to the Regents, we all want conservatives. Liberals hate sports unless everyone gets a participation ribbon. :D
I know that was tongue in cheek. But there's some truth in it.

I think the best fit for a Regent overseeing the state's flagship university for higher education is someone with liberal value, business sense and an ability to relate to how the average person in Colorado relates to the CU system. That could be an "R" or a "D".

Back