What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rumors of Certain Regents Potentially Voting Against MT Contract

Wyo Buff

Club Member
Club Member
Just got this from a FB group I am a part of. I can't verify but wanted to pass it along so you all can make your voices heard:

FYI - the program needs our help today - send a quick email and let everyone else know to do the same:
Tomorrow afternoon the Board of Regents will meet to vote on the contract of new CU coach Mel Tucker. This should be a non-controversial vote, but I understand that there is opposition growing on the board to approve of the contract. Irresponsible grandstanding this may be, but nonetheless, I was asked to organize a late lobbying effort in order to forestall any embarrassment to the university.

Therefore, I humbly request the following of you:

1) Email the Regents asking for them to approve the contract.
2) Contact your colleagues from organizations that may support the university (Belles, Advocates, Buffs4Life, etc.) and ask them to contact the regents asking them to approve the contract.
3) Ask your colleagues to contact their friend to do the same.
Here are the e-mail addresses of all nine members of the CU Board of Regents, and I would suggest CC'ing Bruce Benson (Bruce.Benson@cu.edu) if you decide to send e-mails:
Glen.Gallegos@cu.edu
Kyle.Hybl@cu.edu
Jack.Kroll@cu.edu
Irene.Griego@cu.edu
John.Carson@cu.edu
heidi.ganahl@cu.edu
Steve.Ludwig@cu.edu
Sue.Sharkey@cu.edu
Linda.Shoemaker@cu.edu

Yep. This has been going around all morning. Apparently we have a couple Regents who are thinking of doing some grandstanding on something that doesn't even impact the budgets for any of the CU campuses and will be paid from AD funds. ****ing joke.

I can't possibly imagine everything was ironed out, approved by DiStefano/Benson/etc, introductions were officially made by the AD, a press conference was conducted, meet and greet, intro at Bball game, meeting with recruits, etc, only to have a cheaper contract than the one they approved for MM get denied.

“I ain’t a killer but don’t push me.”
giphy.gif

I can't possibly imagine everything was ironed out, approved by DiStefano/Benson/etc, introductions were officially made by the AD, a press conference was conducted, meet and greet, intro at Bball game, meeting with recruits, etc, only to have a cheaper contract than the one they approved for MM get denied.
Let it happen. It’s their deal. Vote differently next time. No need for CU admin (Phil and RG) to make this a big deal.

I wrote to Jack Kroll, Linda Shoemaker and Irene Greigo as I heard they were the three doing the grandstanding. Be polite, but make your point forcefully.
Those are the 3 whose names keep coming up as potentially causing an issue.

The votes are there and everything is going to pass, but it sends the wrong message if it doesn't pass unanimously. There's no reason to vote against it other than some philosophical point about thinking there's too much money in sports. Personally, I don't want people as Regents who are there to philosophize instead of being there to deal with the world as it is and make decisions based on reality which make CU the best university system in the country at everything it endeavors to do.

Those are the 3 whose names keep coming up as potentially causing an issue.

The votes are there and everything is going to pass, but it sends the wrong message if it doesn't pass unanimously. There's no reason to vote against it other than some philosophical point about thinking there's too much money in sports. Personally, I don't want people as Regents who are there to philosophize instead of being there to deal with the world as it is and make decisions based on reality which make CU the best university system in the country at everything it endeavors to do.

I'm ready for a little Cousin Eddie action here.
e5be2bd993dd9979f2c0a5a60900df94.gif

I sent this email to Mr. Kroll, Mrs. Griego, and Mrs. Shoemaker individually. I also made sure to CC President Benson and Chancellor DiStefano.

A template if you all care to use it:
Mr. Kroll,

As a University of Colorado Alumni and Colorado resident/voter, I want to strongly encourage you to vote YES on Head Football Coach Mel Tucker’s contract approval.
As you hopefully understand, the CU Athletic Department is primarily self funding. Donors, fans, merchandise sales, sponsorship agreements, concessions sales, and TV appearances are the primary sources of revenue for the Athletic Department and by extension the football program, not the University. The money required to pay Head Football Coach Tucker’s contract and the contracts of his assistants and staff, will not be coming out of the CU general fund. Football, the front porch to the University, funds ALL intercollegiate sports. Most of these sports do not independently generate revenue and they rely squarely on the overall health and success of the football program. Those sports include our National Championship cross country teams, women's soccer, volleyball, skiing, Pac-12 Championship women's lacrosse, etc.

In fact on top of not pulling money from the CU general fund, the CU Athletic Department pays out-of-state tuition rates for every scholarship athlete, a cost that does not match with our peers and puts the Athletic Department at a financial disadvantage.

As a proud CU alumnus, my primary connection to the University at this stage in my life are the athletic programs. The University would rarely be in my mind without the athletics programs performing at a high level.

My future donations to the Athletic Department and the University as a whole are in jeopardy should the regents continue to treat the Athletic Department like a hindrance rather than the asset it truly is. I respectfully request that you vote YES on Head Football Coach Mel Tucker's contract.

Thank You,
Shldr2Shldr
BS Arch-E '13

It is worth noting.

It's also worth noting that the Nuggets pay Paul Milsap $30M a year to play basketball for them. There's a ton of money in sports because sports is just that popular. It generates a ton of interest from people. That interest drives donations to CU. It drives applications to CU. But only if CU has a football program that is winning football games. As one of 65 "power conference" universities in D1 football, having about the 40th highest head coach salary should only be generating objection from Regents out of concern that it might be too low.

It is worth noting.

It's also worth noting that the Nuggets pay Paul Milsap $30M a year to play basketball for them. There's a ton of money in sports because sports is just that popular. It generates a ton of interest from people. That interest drives donations to CU. It drives applications to CU. But only if CU has a football program that is winning football games. As one of 65 "power conference" universities in D1 football, having about the 40th highest head coach salary should only be generating objection from Regents out of concern that it might be too low.
Can you please educate Ms. Hernandez with this information?

What is their objection to Coach Tucker?
Doesn't seem to be anything against MT. It's the academic vs athletic debate, where certain idots don't believe it's "right" that a football coach should be the highest paid public employee in the state. It's individuals who don't understand basic high school economics or how the world works.

I am really surprised they are doing this. They approved Mike McIntyre's contract (white guy), and are grandstanding on Mel Tucker (black guy). The optics of this are bad.
They're going to approve the contract, but if you remember, one of them abstained from voting on MM's contract and I'm sure Kroll and the other one begrudgingly voted Yes on MMs. Don't make it a race issue.

They're going to approve the contract, but if you remember, one of them abstained from voting on MM's contract and I'm sure Kroll and the other one begrudgingly voted Yes on MMs. Don't make it a race issue.
I don't think it's a race issue. I'm just surprised they're doing it given sensitivities on race issues.

Back