What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

S&C Coach Dave Forman let go

Here's the difference between Drew Wilson and what we had with Dave Forman, in a nutshell. Saw this on the Scout board this morning and the link is a good, short read on being pragmatic in a S&C program.

Potentially HCMM's biggest hire so far in his tenure. The effects Drew Wilson has had on this program in 1 short year is remarkable.

Potentially HCMM's biggest hire so far in his tenure. The effects Drew Wilson has had on this program in 1 short year is remarkable.

Even the announcers for the Oregon game kept saying CU was winning the battles in both trenches, and they were shocked about it. After years of hearing how much bigger, faster and stronger we got in the offseason, were actually seeing it for once.

Here's the difference between Drew Wilson and what we had with Dave Forman, in a nutshell. Saw this on the Scout board this morning and the link is a good, short read on being pragmatic in a S&C program.

This should be its own thread and one that pops up every few months. It appears he is going to deserve it based on the early results.

forman was a disaster and a very polarizing character with coaches and players..kudos for HCMM for making the change.

forman was a disaster and a very polarizing character with coaches and players..kudos for HCMM for making the change.
Wilson: Simple = Olympic lifts done correctly, with the right kind of coaching per individual player.
Chiv coaching WRs: Simple run routes correctly; create separation; catch the ball and block like he77 for the team; with the right kind of coaching per individual player. (See: Bobo.)

Anyone that has done some training with olympic lifting knows how effective it is at building strength and explosiveness, when done correctly (and also how awful it can be by causing injuries if not done correctly). Sounds like our guys are in great hands with S&C.

Even the announcers for the Oregon game kept saying CU was winning the battles in both trenches, and they were shocked about it. After years of hearing how much bigger, faster and stronger we got in the offseason, were actually seeing it for once.
I think back to years past when we sucked and were getting blown out in every game, there were times when it leaked out from opponent players after the game that the Buff players were talented but soft. We just didn't have the strength, power and endurance to compete against the P12 level athletes. This is the first year since GB where I feel like our team has the strength to complete at the p12 level.

I think back to years past when we sucked and were getting blown out in every game, there were times when it leaked out from opponent players after the game that the Buff players were talented but soft. We just didn't have the strength, power and endurance to compete against the P12 level athletes. This is the first year since GB where I feel like our team has the strength to complete at the p12 level.

Yep. And Wilson has not been on the job for very long. I have a strong belief that that the OL makes a major leap forward in 2017 and that the DL will be a hell of a lot better than people are fearing -- despite losing 3 excellent senior starters.

This plus addressing the high attrition rates has us in a good spot finally
Too right! HCMM has seriously addressed the issue of attrition.

(Water Bottle's last recruiting class, by way of contrast, had only half (?) show up and stay for 4 years.)

Where's the Hawgster's "insider" analysis on this issue? Hawg...Where you at Mr Inside Info-guy?

From that article: "When I arrived at my current job, I had three husker racks (the worst rack ever made)..."

Well, that's the least surprising thing ever considering the name.

OL coach Adams is a large uptick from HCMM's first OL guy. the combo of Adams and Wilson and continuity in general on the staff is a big positive also. What happens if Buffs finish with 7-8 wins this year and repeat that or better in '17...MM a candidate to head to SEC [given his roots at Ga Tech and Vandy]???

Drew Wilson has been an enormous upgrade. However, the CU D line vs Oregon O line comparison has a bit more to the story. CU is a veteran team vs. an all-freshman Oregon O line. CU should have won in the trenches given the players are 20, 21 and 22 years old vs 18 and 19 year olds. That being said, I do think Drew Wilson will have future CU freshman in a better position immediately, his development is evident.

Drew Wilson has been an enormous upgrade. However, the CU D line vs Oregon O line comparison has a bit more to the story. CU is a veteran team vs. an all-freshman Oregon O line. CU should have won in the trenches given the players are 20, 21 and 22 years old vs 18 and 19 year olds. That being said, I do think Drew Wilson will have future CU freshman in a better position immediately, his development is evident.

Sure. How about that same front 3 forcing Michigan to abandon the interior run game and go to sweeps, though? Definitely talented and veteran players as the main factors, but there's more to it than that with the S&C program. Carrell and Samson (and non-seniors like Jackson, Coleman & others) just look a lot bigger and different. Every person I ran into at the open fall practice was very surprised at what we saw. It wasn't the normal progression. Dude were transformed.

Sure. How about that same front 3 forcing Michigan to abandon the interior run game and go to sweeps, though? Definitely talented and veteran players as the main factors, but there's more to it than that with the S&C program. Carrell and Samson (and non-seniors like Jackson, Coleman & others) just look a lot bigger and different. Every person I ran into at the open fall practice was very surprised at what we saw. It wasn't the normal progression. Dude were transformed.
When you and I were gushing about transformation prior to year 3 in the spring game I think, we weren't talking about the lines. Only certain skill players. Nice to see the lines growing up/fillingout/getting swoll

That article also pointed out how hard it is to train a full team on limited space/equipment. This is the first year our football team has not had to share space with other teams and has had the benefit of the new digs. I think that's helped a lot as well.

Hard to believe we've made such big strides in, essentially, 7 months. How will we be after 18 months? I know strength gain isn't linear, but, maybe, instead of having to focus on strength gain, we can focus on things like flexibility and more football technique related stuff. What say ye, You guys who know about this ****?

One more question. After a kid signs with us, do our S&C guys send them any sort of workout regimen they can start on in the spring before showing up on campus?

DBT - to answer your question..yes, the kids are sent a program..although, as a senior in HS...focus can be an issue. Embree's guy, Malcolm Blacken was all over this with the committed HS seniors...the players loved Blacken and his staff as they got right in the trenches with the kids and worked out with them...at least 1/2 the team was putting in extra work as they loved Blacken and his staff. There was some pretty good momentum in the S and C dept until Embo's staff was shown the door...in 2011-13 the players were issued an Ipad and all of the S and C stuff along with their playbooks were on the Ipads. I believe Blacken is with the Redskins now. Wilson has really gotten the momentum going with the kids...Nutrition was a big issue under the previous regimes...HCMM and Wilson, with the help of the AD have straightened out that issue also.

Hard to believe we've made such big strides in, essentially, 7 months. How will we be after 18 months? I know strength gain isn't linear, but, maybe, instead of having to focus on strength gain, we can focus on things like flexibility and more football technique related stuff. What say ye, You guys who know about this ****?

One more question. After a kid signs with us, do our S&C guys send them any sort of workout regimen they can start on in the spring before showing up on campus?
Did you type this from your YOGA class?

Look again at his avatar and tell me that isn't a "YOGA face!"
Wait....maybe that is a "YOGI" face....may the farce be with him!
My stretching consists of putting on my socks. I can stand on one foot and put my sock on the other without falling over. Kind of like The Karate Kid in the "praying mantis" pose.
gal_kk_the-crane.jpg

My stretching consists of putting on my socks. I can stand on one foot and put my sock on the other without falling over. Kind of like The Karate Kid in the "praying mantis" pose.
gal_kk_the-crane.jpg
Dog you'd throw your back out.doing that move.

Back