What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

S & C

It's not a youth issue, it's a depth issue. The youth we're seeing are when guys like Kaiser or Lisella have to dress and be counted on before they're ready because the 2nd team that should between them and the starters is non-existent due to recruiting misses. The complete dismissal of targeting the LT position since relying on Solder and Bak has shown itself to be a huge liabity. When Bak declared early the CU plan was to move a LG over and when he transferred it caused chaos because the roster had no depth. Irwin's had to do the same thing as Alex Lewis was supposed to because once again there was no suitable LT to start there. That has to get better and is the #1 thing to address going forward with the few scholarships left to offer.

S&C has been one of the biggest red herrings on these boards for as long as I can remember. Doc Kreis was causing shoulder injuries, the guy that replaced him was a flexibility speed and power guy. Then came Pitman who emphasized power (and over training). Then came Blacken who used NFL techniques and of course he was horrible because he was on Embree's staff. Now we have Foreman who emphasizes flexibility to reduce injuries. Ever change was greeted with enthusiasm on these boards because obviously the old guy did not know what he was doing. But the results seem to be the same.

Fans seem to forget that MacIntyre wanted the program changed this offseason to add more power. Here the article from last year blaming Youth on the issues.

http://www.dailycamera.com/sports/buffzone/ci_27341460/cu-football-building-strong-foundation-buffs

Yet some players start for other teams as true and RS Frosh and don't seem to have issues. The real issue is the talent level.

This narrative is absolute ****. The CC has been complete for only a few months and the IPF isn't even done, yet we're supposed to some how have already seen some miraculous recruiting bump?

Btw.... Craig Watts, Anthony Julmisse, Johnny Huntley and Ronnie Blackmon
L O L

This narrative is absolute ****. The CC has been complete for only a few months and the IPF isn't even done, yet we're supposed to some how have already seen some miraculous recruiting bump?

To answer your question, yes we should be seeing a bump by now.

To answer your question, yes we should be seeing a bump by now.
New facilities don't wash away the past 10 years of futility that make Colorado Football a punch line. And are we not seeing a higher caliber recruit giving CU his verbal after taking a visit so far in the '16 cycle?

New facilities don't wash away the past 10 years of futility that make Colorado Football a punch line. And are we not seeing a higher caliber recruit giving CU his verbal after taking a visit so far in the '16 cycle?
I see 1 coach on staff actually able to sell CU, including our new facilities, but 1 coach pulling his weight isn't good enough.

Total bull****. Nembot's a 5th year senior. Kelley's a 5th year junior (grayshirted). Kough and Lindsay are 4th year sophomores (grayshirted). Irwin, Wiefels and Callahan are 4th year juniors. Huckins and Kronshage are 3rd year sophomores.

That is not a youth problem on the OL. It's pathetic to be trotting out that excuse.
I'm also down for throwing Bernardi under the bus...he should be having these guys playing better. He hasn't really coached anywhere of note. We need a badass Big10 or SEC OL coach. Lindgren can go and take Neinas and Bernardi with him.

I don't see how some of us are claiming an upgrade in recruiting. Please explain....we are still at the bottom of the PAC.....

I'm also down for throwing Bernardi under the bus...he should be having these guys playing better. He hasn't really coached anywhere of note. We need a badass Big10 or SEC OL coach. Lindgren can go and take Neinas and Bernardi with him.
Besides USC, UCLA and Arizina.

I don't see how some of us are claiming an upgrade in recruiting. Please explain....we are still at the bottom of the PAC.....
It's all relative. I didn't say we've increased the caliber of recruit to the point where we're out of the cellar, but Watts, Julmisse, Huntley and Blackmon are clearly 4 of the best recruits in the MM era.

Yet some players start for other teams as true and RS Frosh and don't seem to have issues. The real issue is the talent level.
The talent level at say USC allows them to have kids come in and make a difference immediately. We don't recruit that kind of talent (we have to "coach them up"), so youth for us is a reason for not being big and strong enough (particularly on the DL). As mentioned already, the OL is complete lack of talent and coaching IMO.

It's all relative. I didn't say we've increased the caliber of recruit to the point where we're out of the cellar, but Watts, Julmisse, Huntley and Blackmon are clearly 4 of the best recruits in the MM era.
And those kids show just how awful recruiting had been under Mac. Leavitt, who had been out of the college game for years comes in, goes into Florida where we haven't recruited before under Mac and lands guys who appear better than anyone we've landed under Mac previously. Also dispels the "we need to win games before talented players will even listen to us" narrative.

And those kids show just how awful recruiting had been under Mac. Leavitt, who had been out of the college game for years comes in, goes into Florida where we haven't recruited before under Mac and lands guys who appear better than anyone we've landed under Mac previously. Also dispels the "we need to win games before talented players will even listen to us" narrative.
JMFL is kind of an outlier when you are talking recruiting Florida. If we could find a couple recruiters like him who are clean and good coaches, we would be golden. Problem is, those guys don't grow on trees.

JMFL has some connections in FL that think he is JC Superstar. He's using them. Be happy. Not sure it's easily duplicatable though.

This is what I found in the 3 deep depth chart. I added Irwin, who is injured.

Left Tackle:
Nembot Sr. (Fr '11 - 289) ('12 - 305) ('13 - 305) ('14 - 295) ('15 - 320)
Lisella RS-Fr. (Fr '14 - 265) ('15 - 290)

Left Guard
Kough Soph. (Fr '13 - 295) ('14 - 295) ('15 - 295)
Wiefels Jr. (Jr '14 - 300) ('15 - 295)
Kaiser Fr. (Fr '14 - 270) ('15 - 285)

Center
Kelley Jr. (Fr '12 - 310) ('13 - 290) ('14 - 305) ('15 - 315)
Wiefels Jr. (Jr '14 - 300) ('15 - 295)
Arvia Sr. (Fr '12 - 285) ('13 - 290) ('14 - 295) ('15 - 300)

Right Guard
Callahan Jr. (So '14 - 300) ('15 - 305)
Sutton Soph. (Fr '13 - 290) ('14 - 290) ('15 - 285)
Huckins Soph. (Fr '13 - 290) ('14 - 305) ('15 - 315)

Right Tackle
Lisella Fr. ('14 - 265) ('15 - 290)
Kronshage Soph. (Fr '13 - 295) ('14 - 285) ('15 - 285)
Caldwell Sr. (Fr '13 - 305) ('14 - 300) ('15 - 300)

J. Irwin (Fr '12 - 280) ('13 - 290) ('14 - 295) ('15 - 295)

Last edited:
Good info, but it'd be great to see how much BF% they had as well as strength numbers (squat, deadlift, bench, press and clean). A lot of our guys may come in only with size and not strength. You can push a lot of guys around in HS just by being bigger.

Look at Arky this year. They are the biggest OL in college or the league, but they aren't nearly the best OL around.

Good info, but it'd be great to see how much BF% they had as well as strength numbers (squat, deadlift, bench, press and clean). A lot of our guys may come in only with size and not strength. You can push a lot of guys around in HS just by being bigger.

Look at Arky this year. They are the biggest OL in college or the league, but they aren't nearly the best OL around.
Yeah. The weight stats are a little interesting but don't say much about strength. One thing for sure though, we are on the smallish side. We average 298 for the 3 deep depth chart. Take Nembot out and it drops a bit. The average of the 5 starters is 305.

BTW, I didn't realize how small the Utah defensive front 4 is. They are 275, 285, 268 and 302.

Last edited:
Lisella, Irwin and Huckins have sure gotten bigger, at least. Other than them and Nembot, the others haven't changed that much. Kronsage, Sutton and Wiefels have gotten lighter. I'd assume they've lost body fat.

If, hypothetically, 200 million shouldn't give you a bump, then we should've spent the money on something better. Like say ... A real coach. 200 million would buy a helluva coach and a helluva recruiting class.

Four guys who have offers from schools who play big boy football. That's good. (Most of) The rest of the class should look like that too, but it doesn't.

Sad mr sly didn't stick around to defend his opinions. Makes him seem like a drive by troll

Still here Dr Snow. And I stand by my observation - Solis' initial comment about the size and lack of strength of the OL says it all. And I also stand by my comment about the RB position..go back and look at the 2011 team and how quickly Speedy hit the hole...Lindsey runs that way..Powell is a pile driving FB, Atkins glides very nicely...but can't get
out of the trainer's room. I don't know how much football you played or coached, but once the OL imposes its' will on the opposition--the game is over. With an undersized line without the requisite strength..it ain't gonna work.

Back